Treatment For Constipation

neatz

My friend rang me this morning asking what she can do to help her dog with constipation. I haven't had to deal with this before with mine, but I'm sure I have seen on here before suggestions for home remedies.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance

A can of PAL will do the job.

:rofl: So true. One of my dogs broke into the laundry one day and gorged on kibble. Vet said to lock her in a crate, give her a tablespoon of oil every 2 hours and if she hadnt pooped by 6 pm to give her a can of Pal and 'she'll shit for a week'. Vet was right :(

Please DON'T suggest prunes!!

Prunes and the seed are toxic to dogs.

Known Food Toxins To Dogs

Fruits, Vegetables, Food

Apple, Almond, Apricot, Peach, Wild Cherries, Plum, Balsam Pear, Prunes and similar fruit: Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, (Stem, Seeds and Leaves) The seeds of most fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans.

Grapes, Raisins, Prunes: kidney failure, as little as a single serving of grapes or raisins can kill a dog. It takes anywhere from 9 oz to 2 lbs of grapes and raisins (between .041 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight), to cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, and possible kidney failure
Edited by raffikki

Depending on how bad/longstanding the 'constipation' is .

Some folks see a dog straining a bit to pass faeces and cry "constipation"

Others let the poor dog strain for a day or two before mentioning it.

I am always hesitant to suggest 'remedies' if a dog has been straining without passing anything... as there can be serious things happening which need vet intervention....and the longer it goes on, the worse it gets :rofl:

Hard faeces/bone blockages lose moisture the longer they sit in the intestine... making it harder and more dangerous.

Older dogs can lose bowel muscle tone and ,with extra bones or something, can have some trouble- diet adjustment may help here :(

...Hope all is well soon.

A can of PAL will do the job.

:( So true. One of my dogs broke into the laundry one day and gorged on kibble. Vet said to lock her in a crate, give her a tablespoon of oil every 2 hours and if she hadnt pooped by 6 pm to give her a can of Pal and 'she'll shit for a week'. Vet was right :wave:

:o:o:cheer::eek:

Thanks for advice, I will go past her place tonight and suss out the situation some more. (with can of PAL in tow)

:rofl:

1 tube of Microlax (from the chemist) will do the job beautifully and immediately for a dog which is constipated - and feeding sardines, a bit of Pal will work in the long run. It the dog is straining and unhappy, Microlax, if it is not so urgent, sardines and Pal.