Help With Sick Cavvy

amwaz

Hi,

I have a 6yr old cavvy who is unwell :cry:. It started on Friday morning when he got out of bed - he slipped over twice. He was quite flat so I kept my eye on him. An hour later I took him to our vet as he kept falling over. It started off with just his hind legs giving way, but then his front legs were as well. So the vet couldn't find anything a simple diagnosis, so he wanted to keep him there so he could be observed and also if he went downhill. I spoke to the vet Friday night and he said that Seymour also seemed to have a sore neck (not sure how he came to that conclusion) so he THINKS that he has a spinal injury. He started him on cortisone tablets in the hope that he would be much better by the morning. Saturday morning our vet called and said that he had improved - he was walking around and seemed ok. He told us to make sure that he is confined and to keep a close eye on hm.

So.......today he is just not himself still. He is definately walking around much better, but is still definately wobbly. He is really really flat (he is normally a big sleeper, but when you want to play with him he is full of energy and that's just not happening). I went to pick him up twice today and he yelped in pain. He also yelped once when I lifted his head to scratch under his chin. He vomited this morning - Seymour has neverr ever vomited before. But, he is eating well, following us around, wagging his tail, etc etc. I just don't know what the problem is. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I hate seeing him like this.

Thanks,

Amanda

for starters stop picking him up or doing things that will cause him pain.If your dog has a back/neck injury he needs quite/recovery time & the vets advice on confinement means exactly that,no unnecessary activities to aggravate the area.

Pain can cause vomiting even the tablets can cause vomiting but its essential you allow the dog to recover & that mens no play,picking up,jumping.Any activity that will re aggravate.

If your not fully happy go back to your vet.

Your little one may have pinched a nerve,pulled a muscle all sorts of things

I'm not a vet or anything remotely like an expert BUT this sounds suspiciously like the symptoms one of our rescue dogs had. He was eventually diagnosed with a type of meningitis and once put on AB's recovered quite quickly. When initially diagnosed with a sore neck and treated with cortisone he continued to worsen.

Another lady I know locally lost her dog to meningitis only a month or so after our dog was sick with it.

It is a bit odd..and if the vet suspected some sort of spinal proble...I would have thought xray or scan would have been suggested...

If you do have another vet you are happy using, it may not be a bad idea to get Seymour checked by a fresh pair of eyes ...

This sounds very like symptons my dog Occy was displaying earlier this year. (see this thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...75&hl=occy)

Turns out he had an old ruptured disc in his neck and had done something to aggravate it. Confinement and steriods were the treatment he received. Unfortunately, shortly after that he did a cruciate ligament in his back leg and had surgery on that and a luxating patella at the same time (see here http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=occy&st=0)

might be a good idea to ask for vet recommendations in your area so you can get a second oppinion, in the mean time, try to keep him quiet, confining him to a small area where there is nothing he might be tempted to climb/jump on (like the couch) might be a good start.

Edited by Kissindra

Since it's a cavalier I always think of Syringomyelia or Episodic Falling Syndrome. It's not as common in Australia as it is in the UK or US. Do a bit of research on either and if the symptoms seem similar maybe discuss it with your vet. It's not something most vets would think of immediately.

Maybe contact his breeder as well. She/he may know something aout that litter etc.

Good luck with your little man! :love:

EFS

Edited by kleintjie