Hot Spots In Bichon

Guest RosieFT

Guest RosieFT

My parents' bichon frise' has always suffered from hot spots, and he is now 12 or 13yrs old and is currently in bad shape. His breeder (who has always clipped him so sees him every 6 weeks) is starting to suggest it might be time to 'let him go' and mum and dad are desperate to help him.

He has always been fed what has been suggested as the best food for him: Initially Eukanuba (years ago), then plain rice and chicken, then some other kind of kibble, then roo meat for ages, and now, for the past year, back to raw chicken wings combined with Royal Canin kibble. Throw in a few treat biscuits a day, a couple of schmackos, and that is his diet.

The vets have treated him over the years with steroid injections ALOT, and I think he might even have something like Cushings. He is very overweight, but in that bloated, saggy belly, kind of way. He gets odd lumps and bumps all over him. He has started to not want to go for walks etc.

He has also had to have his eye lens in one eye removed due to eye problems.

He currently has really bad hot spots, and is not in a good way :-( . He is really sore and unhappy and is whimpering at night time.

When I see him, he is still keen to run up and say hi, still barks at the treat cupboard until someone gives him something (yes I know, not the 'done thing' but he has always done it, same as when mum gets on the phone... heehee). Still tries to hunt out my cat when he comes for a visit, but more and more just wants to lie somewhere.

They have seen different vets, and a more hollistically trained vet. They have sought help, but to no avail. They have spent a fortune on him over the years and are in no way shirking treating him.

What is the theory behind food allergies? Is it the wheat and corn that must be avoided?! Is there something else they could try?

He is the best natured, most wonderful dog you could meet and i was hoping somebody might have some new suggestions to help try solve the hot spot problem, or at least bring him some relief?

thankyou in advance!

Edited by RosieFT

Guest RosieFT

I was just reading the MAB allergy thread and saw the suggestion for Eagle Pack Holistic (Anchove formula). Would this be worth trying? and if so, where in Perth can you buy it?

thanks!

Throw in a few treat biscuits a day, a couple of schmackos, and that is his diet.

This would be enough for some dogs to cause reaction.

I would be eliminating all that crap entirely and feeding him totally raw, no grains at all, none of his snacks and treats.

Unless you know what the triggers are, feeding a commercial food may make no difference at all, they need to do an elimination diet and work out exactly what he is reacting too.

Have fleas been ruled out?

Guest RosieFT

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Tobias - thanks for that.

Crisovar- I was thinking last night how ironic it would be if he has been allergic to schmackos all these years. The biscuits, I am trying to remember what type they are.. hmm maybe Lix, mini biscuits? baked not fried or something. But you are right, he could be allergic to any colours, preservatives etc.

Elimination diet is obviously, nothing but one food source, ie. like a chicken wing but nothing else? For how long? a month?

Fleas are controlled through spot treatments, but they don't live with cats and don't have much of a backyard anymore - almost no dirt. But I realise they could pick up from anywhere. If my vague memory serves me right, I do recall when he was a young dog, it was diagnosed as a flea allergy, but not based on testing.

In reality it could be environmental, although they have changed house and suburb etc once since he has been around. But pollen gets anywhere.

Dunnwarren - rawleighs salve, is that for human and in a chemist? Can it be put on open sores? i would assume not...

His breeder has never seen anything like it in the other bichon's she bred (she has stopped breeding the past few years). The funny thing is, when we first got Oscar, I remember reading how Bichon's (unlike most white dogs), had no skin problems. now when you read up on Bichons, it crops up ALL t he time about their allergies, lumps and bumps etc.

thanks so much.

Hi,

I suggest using Silvazine Cream:

Silvazine* is a white hydrophilic cream containing silver sulphadiazine and chlorhexidine digluconate. Silvazine is used in the treatment of major and minor burns, and may be used to prevent infection in a range of skin loss conditions i.e. Leg ulcers, pressure sores,etc

Prescription only

I would also look at the diet and a possible hormonal imbalance.

Petra and Felix

I use it for open sores, in fact I stick it on everything, myself included :thumbsup: . I get cracks in my hands and find if I put it on at night by morning its nearly healed. It is sold through a Rawleighs distributer, I get mine at markets, lasts for years, you could look in the phone book or try health food places.

Really would be a good idea to try him on a diet of chicken wings/necks, sardines and veggies for at least a month. Get rid of all dry food and snacks. Sounds like he could benefit from the weightloss this diet would provide as well.

As for the hotspots. If they are very moist then use some baby's Curash powder (from chemists and supermarkets) when they start to dry out use the cream.

Really would be a good idea to try him on a diet of chicken wings/necks, sardines and veggies for at least a month. Get rid of all dry food and snacks. Sounds like he could benefit from the weightloss this diet would provide as well.

As for the hotspots. If they are very moist then use some baby's Curash powder (from chemists and supermarkets) when they start to dry out use the cream.

Having had heat rashes (hot spots) myself I swear by ZSC powder, I have used Curash but found the ZSC to be a bit stronger and more reliable. I have used it on hot spots on my old Setters. I first cut all hair away from the hot area then cleaned the area gently with a little Diluted Betadine, dried it by dabbing with a soft cloth and then liberally sprinkling the spot with the powder. Once the weeping had stopped the dog forgot about the hot spot and it cleared up rapidly. Good luck, interesting about the Rawleighs ointment, a friend who grew up in the country has told me that they used that for everything when she was a child and her family swore by it, must get some myself, anything that has been around that long must be good. I also agree to stopping the treats and shmackos, goodness knows what is in them besides the colouring preservatives etc!