Microchipping

BittyMooPeeb

I want to find out at what age puppies can be chipped, and if there is any danger of chipping too young (partic for a show dog). I want him to be identified asap but dont want to cause unnecessary pain or have him react to the chip leaving a lump or anything.

I had my litter done at 6 weeks, small yelps from three of them, one girl didnt react at all and they were fine 1 minute after it had been done. My vet was very good though and super quick putting the needle in and out.

OK thanks. Will get my pup done when he arrives :eek:

A resonsible breeder should be microchipping when the pup is vacinated.

I know most state laws differ but the bottom line is that the dog should be chipped.

If the breeder is not doing it. First port of call is the Vet for microchipping.

OK thanks. Will get my pup done when he arrives :eek:

A resonsible breeder should be microchipping when the pup is vacinated.

I know most state laws differ but the bottom line is that the dog should be chipped.

If the breeder is not doing it. First port of call is the Vet for microchipping.

I thought that now all states had a law that breeders must chip puppies before they go to their new homes. I would see a breeder as being irrisponsible if they are selling puppies without chipping them first.

An dyes if you pup is not chipped go get it done right away.

I thought that now all states had a law that breeders must chip puppies before they go to their new homes.

No it isn't compulsory in all States under Govt legislation, however it is now compulsory prior to registration of puppies with the controlling bodies in most States.

Basically it has been a case of in many areas of QLD unless the pup was going to an area that was microchip savvy or lucky enough to get lost in an area that was, because quite simply so many local authorities do not scan. Lots of places you simply couldn't even lay your hands on a scanner.

This of course will all change now the legislation has gone through.

I'm looking at it from a breeders point of view , not from a lost and found persepective.

We chipped before it was compulsary. I've also kept a copy of every chip from every puppy that I've bred . A chip is a permanent record that I produced a certain puppy, if it shows up in a pound or if someone tries to make a claim against me re parentage, illness etc.

I've never been happy just letting a puppy head off to it's new owner with nothing but ANKC papers in their hand. A chip with matching ANKC papers to me is an insurance policy, no one can ever claim that dog or puppy to be anything other than what it is.They can't switch papers for another dog. Well, in theory they could but that chip is always going to be able to prove a case of fraud.

Of course it also means that if the dog ever ends up in a pound and unclaimed, as a breeder who is committed to looking after my own, there's more of a chance that I will get the dog back or at least be able to contribute to it's costs etc.

Is someone were to ring or email me and say " ive got one of your dogs " or "is this yours" all I need ask for is a chip number and I can confirm it in less than a minute.

:thumbsup: