Choosing A Gsd Puppy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it Could be a medical Issue?

yeah it was born a Malinois :laugh: :laugh:

I know my handling needs heaps of improvement if I want to handle a dog like that,

pay up your chiropractor too :laugh: also visit a psych you could be too sane to want a high drive Mali :)

God I cant wait to get more one day ... certified Mali Nut

Edited by Nekhbet

GSdog2,

Sounds good. 20 years of experience with the breed and you have done your homework. Dog will be going to work with you. Lucky dog.

Visiting the pups once or twice, may be OK, but limited, as the pups may be just been fed, had a play etc., so may not be at their best. Asking the breeder WHY they felt their bitch was suitable to be bred may be worthwhile, as well as asking why they chose that particular stud. It might even be worthwhile taking the dam off site and checking her responses and retrieving ability. How long she stays focused for.

If none are timid, simply close your eyes and pick one.

The acorn generally does not fall far from the tree, so to speak.

Too high drive normally means too little handler. As mentioned by K9 force and others have mentioned nerves/temperament is important.

Conclusion: LOL. Sounds like a lucky puppy.

Thanks Lablover - I'm trying to make sure I dot all the i's and cross all the t's, although in the end there are no guarantee's. I lost one of my GSD's to severe arthritis so I did my homework with my next girl and she died of cancer (it happened so quickly it took me completely by surprise :) ).

My youngest son has just finished school so I am now ready for a bit of "Me-Time" :laugh: , therefore more weekends free to enter more trials. My first step is to hopefully choose the right pup for my situation.

Edited by gsdog2

Perhaps it Could be a medical Issue?

yeah it was born a Malinois :laugh: :laugh:

I know my handling needs heaps of improvement if I want to handle a dog like that,

pay up your chiropractor too :rofl: also visit a psych you could be too sane to want a high drive Mali :laugh:

God I cant wait to get more one day ... certified Mali Nut

Considering my current Kelpie - no not too sane to want a high drive Mali :)

I never said I'd be able to handle him :) I know my handling needs heaps of improvement if I want to handle a dog like that, does not necessarily mean he has too much drive.

The only thing is Kavik that you have seen this dog OUT of drive.

What you have seen was a clicker trained heeling and changes of positions. They were not trained in prey drive obviously...

You should come and see when there is a prey item around. Mind you his self control due to training has drastically improved.

Edited by MonElite

If it is of any help I went to the local German Shepherd Club a little while ago to introduce a friend with a rehomed GSD she has to some people there I know.

I found the people at the club to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable about GSDs, might be worth a visit to your local club for some advice

If it is of any help I went to the local German Shepherd Club a little while ago to introduce a friend with a rehomed GSD she has to some people there I know.

I found the people at the club to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable about GSDs, might be worth a visit to your local club for some advice

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing exactly that :( as recently as this morning! (I've been a member for the past 12 years)

Amandas show line Malinois are different from the working line, she just puts them all on the same page :rofl:

She even states what the pups would be good for "We expect puppies from this litter to be suitable for show, agility, obedience, lure coursing, tracking and last but not least loving family companions." and I know she would pick the right pup for the owners needs and situation.

OMG I'd kill for one of the upcoming Lakenois pups :rofl:

btw Midol I have owned working line sheps, pet sheps, and currently have a working Mal so yup I dont think in the scheme of things a show line Mal from an excellent breeder who knows her dogs inside out would be a bad thing to consider either. They have less conformation problems then GSDs and are also a smaller dog, sharp as a tack, and truely multi purpose. Guard your house but love you to death with doe eyes

IMG_0216.jpg

say no to that thing will ya :o dawwww she was so cute

Edited by Nekhbet