Bottom Issues

swain

Hi,

About 8 weeks ago my lil pomeranian had an operation on his bottom (basically it was reconstructed :love: ). The problem that we are still having is that he is straining all the time and his bottom gets quite red and sore. I have expressed my concerns to the vet but they just keep telling me to feed him oily fish with high fibre vegies and to use parafen oil (not to use the oil every day though) anyway none of this seems to be making much difference. Does anyone have any ideas? He doesn't need runny poo, but they need to be soft and not overly big (fussy i know!!).

If anyone else has been through something similar or has ideas it would be much appreciated :rofl:

Hi,

About 8 weeks ago my lil pomeranian had an operation on his bottom (basically it was reconstructed :love: ). The problem that we are still having is that he is straining all the time and his bottom gets quite red and sore. I have expressed my concerns to the vet but they just keep telling me to feed him oily fish with high fibre vegies and to use parafen oil (not to use the oil every day though) anyway none of this seems to be making much difference. Does anyone have any ideas? He doesn't need runny poo, but they need to be soft and not overly big (fussy i know!!).

If anyone else has been through something similar or has ideas it would be much appreciated :rofl:

Add some pumpkin to his food, I just steam some in the microwave and add to their food.

Hi,

Add some pumpkin to his food, I just steam some in the microwave and add to their food.

Thanks very much, but i did try that and the poor little fella still had issues

Speaking from experience (ours was the reverse), increase the amount of sardines (in oil) and I'm sure you will notice the difference. But be warned...don't give too much too soon.

We were feeding our pooch too much and he constantly had soft stools, so we had to reduce it.

would sardines be better than tuna? I've been feeding him oily tuna.

Will keep up with the vegies. Might try sweet potatoe.

Poor little might.....went home at lunch and he was really straining!

Psyllium husks go to a slippery gel when they absorb moisture! they do not increase stool size like veggies do. When Hamlet had bowel surgery.. he was on psyllium for weeks.

If you use psyllium.. soak it before mixing with food, this way it doesn't absorb as much water from the gut! If you want soft stool.. use some canned food.. and some psyllium, and some rice, maybe...

Guest RosieFT

I fed Rosie some tinned mackeral in oil, found near the tuna/salmon tinned stuff, and yep, umm, that went right through her :laugh: Too much, too quickly probably.

We feed psyllium to horses to keep everything moving along nicely.

Bear in mind, if it is too runny, they seem to strain alot too...

good luck!

psyllium husks already moistened was used for my dog oscar after bowel surgery.. worked well.

If adding rice get either glutinous or medium grain and cook till sloppy.. and add. dont drian off the rice water let it just simmer away. It is also good to give the glutinous rice cooked in chicken broth.

cheers

H