Rally Obedience

So tell me, tell me, how was the first day?

Noels.

Hi Mrsdog

It was soooooo good. Angelsun is a great speaker by getting her point across in a most wonderful way.

The power point presentation is good as it highlights each step along the way to learning about Rally-O, not just the stations but the score sheets, judges sheet, what you are allowed and not allowed to do in the ring, little tricks to help anyone be able to make the exercise easier to do.

Answered all the questions and more and involved interactions with [human] dogs and handlers so we all had a visual understanding of the exercises.

The pivot turns, U and about turns were done using the [human] dog and handler, how to bring a dog to Front (how we can use out body movements to manouver the dog into the front position) etc., etc., etc.

Heather could have talked and talked all night if we had let her. It was such an interesting fun workshop.

Can't wait until tomorrow (well really today) to go out and set up courses then run them with my dog.

The figure 8 exercise was very interesting. I can't wait to hear what your group say about Heather's idea of doing it.

Stations, Signs, numbers (hey wait until you see how she sets up the signs with numbers, very cool)

Enough from me, I'm off to bed.

It was suggested that we do a demo of Rally-O at a trial. Either Obedience, Flyball, NADAC agility are good places to let others who have no idea what Rally-O is to see it in motion.

The little numbers on the Signs make sense now.

This time I'm off too bed

Bye

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Gamby for all that info. Sounds just wonderful. Can't wait to hear what happened today.

This morning I used all the most difficult signs mixed up with some easy ones and had Class 3 and 4 try them out. Well it is really interesting to see the different interpretations of how to do everything. And I had to keep breaking up little discussion groups which were developing. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! Mind you, they made me think twice about some of it also. We really need Heather to show us the right way. I haven't done Rally as a "proper" training class as yet, don't think I know enough, but have kept it more as a familiarization with the signs sort of thing. Must say there was a lot of enthusiasm, which is exactly what we want.

BTW it was windy today and some of the signs kept blowing away. Any ideas of how to stop this? I have all the equipment from JJ's, holders, pegs, and normally they seem to stay in place, but too windy today.

Oh then the other thing that happened: when I was packing up somehow the covered treat dish had been emptied! All the dogs were supposed to be on lead. Mystery..............

Noels.

Hey Noels

Today was the day we did actual Novice rally courses and a change to an Advanced class by only adding a couple of advanced stations. Very clever as there was no need to change any directions, stations, cones etc.

We were very lucky to make use of the cattle shed at the show grounds because there was no way we could have worked out in the wind and rain.

The course stations were a chance to get our heads into gear, read the signs and then execute the action. Some of us added sits when there was no sit indicated on the signs, tight leads was another one that we got pinned for (Oh well we'll have to work on that one :thumbsup: ), not finishing an exercise.

It was so good to receive the judges score sheet to see where we went wrong. The last course of the day I lost it completely. I was so tired and couldn't think. I felt for Heather as she has had less sleep than I have but was still up and bubbly.

I loved the following - Well it is really interesting to see the different interpretations of how to do everything & Mind you, they made me think twice about some of it also. We really need Heather to show us the right way. - It's amazing isn't it that people can all have different interpretations of rules?

Just wait until you see Heather's way of putting numbers on the signs.

BTW it was windy today and some of the signs kept blowing away. Any ideas of how to stop this? I have all the equipment from JJ's, holders, pegs, and normally they seem to stay in place, but too windy today.

I can only suggest that you find an indoor place as an alternative. Nothing would have kept the signs in their correct place today.

One of the girls wants to start trialing immediately. Boy, how are we going to manage that??????

We have booked Heather for June, July, August or whenever to hold a Rally-O trial (well a claytons trial I think we should call it). We need to get out and push rally by setting it up on the dog club ground so that anyone can try it.

All who came along to the workshop were instantly hooked onto rally-o

To the next club Heather is going to0, I know that you will be fully informed and have a number or all of your group hooked on Rally-O.

Our group were so happy with their success on the day.

I'm off to bed now, Yes I know it is only 7.30 but I am so tired from doing a Tracking Workshop last Friday - Sunday and then again on Monday to Wednesday, home late Wednesday.

bye for now

I want to first extend huge thanks to the gang at Geelong for the fantastic hosting they did for the seminars this weekend. Never ending coffee/tea pot and sweets and lunch and even more important, someone to remind me to eat/drink. I get a bit consumed with the task and forget to do that!

I was SO pleased to see such enthusiasm at the event and want to pat those that attended for their desire to learn and active participation in the various things I made them do, some of which got them off their seats the first day of the lecture and spinning in circles!

I will honesty say, after such a long day on Sunday (we started at 9am, stopped at about 5pm and I honestly wasn't done but everyone was very tired, and yes, me too)....the dogs were exhausted and peoples brains stopped working in some areas, but yet, after all that, I could see SUCH improvements on some of the things that are so important for success in this sport. It wasn't hard to keep bubbly as the participants were equally so and that just gets me hyped even more. (no it wasn't the coffee that did it..that's just how I am when I'm teaching and even more over something that I am so passionate about)

I can't remember everyones name that was there....figured out a few of the dogs by the time the day was done....but I'm looking forward to the next possible step for the Geelong gang in an intensive workshop to really drill in the skills to not only participate, but more importantly run the trials and encourage potential new judges to come forward.

Special thanks to Gamby for opening her home to me and my chauffeur (Tony). We stayed up WAY too late on Saturday evening eating pizza and just chatting about dogs in one form or another! I"m totally knackered by 9pm but really wanted to sit down and type something up whilst still on a bit of a 'high' from the work over the weekend. I'm really over the moon with the potential that I've seen in some of the people attending on the weekend, and hope that all that were there enjoyed their time as much as I enjoyed instructing.

Edited by angelsun

Must say thanks for the weekend, it was fantastic and we all learnt so much - heaps to teach the dogs now too LOL - the information and handouts were priceless.

It was priceless to see how the rally courses should look, different to what we all imagined I think. Was very brave of one person to put her course forward for us all to do.

Us agility people were right at home walking the course

Can't wait for the next intensive training.

Now have to find these u-tube videos

Edited by helen

Had a wonderful time learning about Rally O. :)

Thanks to Gamby for all her hard work in organising the seminar, but mostly big thanks to Angelsun for providing a well presented, informative insight into Rally O and what is involved. :champagne:

As a complete newbie, I was at first overwhelmed by all the signs and what each one meant. But Angelsun explained each sign individually which made it alot easier when it came to actually going through the courses/runs she had set up. I have to say I didn't do as bad as I thought I would and I didn't get lost through the course/run. :rofl:

Was lovely to meet so many enthusiastic people with their clever dogs. I also have a few new things to teach my dogs now.

Best of all with Rally, I loved the interaction I had with my dog in the ring.

My girl must have been very tired because as soon as I got home she hopped into her bed and slept for the rest of the evening. :)

Big thanks again to everyone involved.

Had a wonderful time learning about Rally O. :)

My girl must have been very tired because as soon as I got home she hopped into her bed and slept for the rest of the evening. :eek:

Big thanks again to everyone involved.

LOL, poor girl must have been exhausted

Entry forms are now coming in for the Sutherland Workshop. If you are thinking of coming could you please have your forms sent in by May 20 so that Heather has time to organize handouts, etc.

After reading about the Geelong experience I can hardly wait! This is a wonderful chance for us to learn about Rally firsthand rather than just by reading and watching u tube.

Remember this is open to all people, not just Sutho members.

Noels.

Guest CaptainCourageous

Where (& when) can I go near Melbourne to watch Rally O happening ?

CC

Can the Gympie gang drop me a note with numbers so I can be sure I have enough things printed off before I leave home? Don't want anyone going without!

Hopefully have burned enough CD's today and will be sitting down doing the papers tomorrow.

Entry forms are now coming in for the Sutherland Workshop. If you are thinking of coming could you please have your forms sent in by May 20 so that Heather has time to organize handouts, etc.

After reading about the Geelong experience I can hardly wait! This is a wonderful chance for us to learn about Rally firsthand rather than just by reading and watching u tube.

Remember this is open to all people, not just Sutho members.

Noels.

I sent my form in today addressed it Attention c/o you,hope that will be ok?

OK folks up in Gympie....just a couple days before we get at it and have a ton of fun as well! Bring your note books for the first day (seminar) and lots of questions!

Don't forget for those attending on the Sunday with dogs...make sure you have a crate to pop them into during things like walk throughs and times that the dog needs to relax. It can be a long and tiring day so if you have more than one dog to play with, bring it and they can take turns!

Anyone got a weather report for the region so I know what clothes to take? It's bloody nippy down this way and am hoping for a shot of warmth and sunshine!

Want to send a quick thanks to Allison up here in Gympie for her organization of the Rally O event. We had a very nice group in attendance including two visitors from N.Z. who flew over to attend the two day workshop.

The weather was perfect for the Sunday "hands on" portion and I had WAY too much space to set up courses with a lovely large field to work in!

It was nice to see a variation in breeds working the courses from Dalmatians to Koolies, Border Collies to a nice working Staffy. I really enjoyed meeting all the folks who attended and it was great to see such enthusiasm. Many good ideas were tossed around at the Lecture including getting a specific email/forum group started to discuss the things that will be needed to see that this sport thrives in Australia (and New Zealand)

Am looking foward to getting over to N.Z. in late July to meet up with many potential new 'rally-ers' over there.

Great hospitality up here and had a day to visit the local museum and see some of the nice features of Gympie. No time to take a train ride this time but I learned alot about this area's Gold Mining history and enjoyed a nice lunch in a very pretty park. Also was a bonus to have a litter of baby border collies to play with!

I'm off to the airport today to head home to Vic's north east and relax for a few days before heading off to Tassie. (if you can call stacking 7 metres of wood relaxing!)

Gee Heather you were ready to start the day early.. :)

i think the Thanks goes to you for a wonderful weekend and a great seminar...

We have learnt lots of great stuff, Rally sure is different than normal obedience and something i think i will pursue further... my non obedience trained dogs didn't do too bad, a lot can be said for good foundation Agility training... the power point slide is great as well as all the other files everyone gets for all they need to know to pursue and grow Rally...

The general consensus from everyone throughout the weekend and from emails since Sunday is that they all thouroughly enjoyed it and are already planning on using what we have learnt about Rally and doing demos at our RSPCA Million PAws walk this Sunday at various locations in SE QLD...

We were lucky enough to have 2 visitors form NZ... and they made great company over the weekend and enjoyed camping out in Aus.. in my nack yard in my camper trailer... Heather had my only spare bed the sofa lounge... My dogs were lucky enough to get a workout with both visitors able to participate and work dogs they only met 2 days prior... there was some great bonding going on with my 2 boys being invited into the camper, something which they didn't say no to :)... although i did wonder if it wasn't for a bit of security form any crawlies which i had assured them would nto be in the camper...

Our visitors also had a video camera with them so we had lots of video on Sunday... i am in the process of uploading them to youtube...

here is one of Jane(our NZ visitor) and my borrowed girl GT

and of another participant Robyn and her great little dog Peppi who had soem great runs...

Robyn & Peppi

you can see the wonderful field that we have to use...

Hope you have made it home safe Heather and enjoy a few days of relaxing... it was nice to also see some of Gympie i have lived here nearly three years buit have never done much tourist stuff.. the museum was worth it and we could have easily spent more time if we had it...

Looking forward to hearing how everyone else enjoys their seminars, and a Rally forum would be a great way to help kick things off in Aus to get this sport happening...

Thanks again Heather... i am sure we will be getting you back for another seminar as things progress...

A new forum has been established to help group people interested in Rally Obedience together in hopes of setting out rules and regulations to enable those of us in Australia and New Zealand to reach the goal of attaining titles for Rally Obedience, form clubs and hold trials as well as train judges, learn the sport and ask general questions about this sport.

Rally Obedience Down Under

This unmoderated forum allows anyone to join and participate in the various aspects of discussion concerning Rally Obedience.

Please be patient with the forum as changes will occur as I work out the bugs on setting this new one up. (been a while since I did it, so am a touch rusty) I'll also be open to suggestions for sub forums and changes based on what the membership feels would make the forum run smoother for everyone.