Treat Recipes - Care To Share?

poochmad

Fresh Cubes of real cheddar cheese ~ NOT the plastic stuff sold in slices that never goes off ~ think about all the preservatives.

Dried liver.

ZiwiPeak.

Nothing made in China or any other Country where you wouldn't eat a very cheap meal.

But really, ask yourself, do the dogs really need them?

A lot of people started making their own treats in the U.S. when the bad chicken strips hit there last year. (I sure hope Australian vets and toxicologists will figure out what is going on. Nobody here has.)

Lots of treat recipes here:

http://www.dogaware.com/treatref.html

I've just been simmering lamb to reduce the fat and using that. I freeze it in little packs in wax paper, then put those in a plastic bag in the freezer and pull out the packs as needed. Sometimes I use a couple as the meat base for a homecooked dinner. My toy terrier is allergic to a lot of things, so I have to make it simple.

Edited by CooperDog

I buy a human grade lambs fry.

1) Lightly poach it until it is a little firmer than fresh.

2) Cool long enough to be able to handle

3) Slice it into thin pieces about 3-4 mm thick.

4) Place on a lined (baking paper) tray/s and put into the oven at about 150C until completely cooked and dry.

5) I store this in kitchen paper lined container in the fridge.

My dogs will do any thing for this treat - Beanie has done (almost) cartweels, tapdanced, walked on her hands with her back legs in the air - anything to get attention and get one of these treats. :rofl:

ETA: Kitchen paper in No 5. and....you house will smell, so then put some fresh rosemary in the hot oven and the house will smell nice again.

Edited by benny123

A lot of people started making their own treats in the U.S. when the bad chicken strips hit there last year. (I sure hope Australian vets and toxicologists will figure out what is going on. Nobody here has.)

Lots of treat recipes here:

http://itchmoforums.com/making-your-own-pe...ts-t2083.0.html

And there is a big list at Dogaware:

http://www.dogaware.com/treatref.html

I've just been simmering lamb to reduce the fat and using that. I freeze it in little packs in wax paper, then put those in a plastic bag in the freezer and pull out the packs as needed. Sometimes I use a couple as the meat base for a homecooked dinner. My toy terrier is allergic to a lot of things, so I have to make it simple.

Thanks for the links...most useful. :rofl:

Glad the recipes are helpful, poochmad! We are all in this together.

Benny123, I had to look up what lamb fry are and here that might be hard to find in a store. But they sound a lot healthier than the chicken jerky from China! Good for you to be making your dogs wholesome, locally sourced treats. :thumbsup:

I've been doing it the lazy one-step way. I buy a large maybe 2kg beef liver chunk from the butcher, generally one or two dollars (Maxi supermarkets sell it like this also). Bake in oven, just like baking a roast. When cooked, slice and dice.

As a treat it is high value, and a handful as part of the meal with dried food or vegies goes across pretty well too.

Glad the recipes are helpful, poochmad! We are all in this together.

Benny123, I had to look up what lamb fry are and here that might be hard to find in a store. But they sound a lot healthier than the chicken jerky from China! Good for you to be making your dogs wholesome, locally sourced treats. :laugh:

I think it's just sheep liver :cool: Most butchers sell it.

I don't have the exact measurements but here are the ingredients I throw in:

Liver Spelt Cookies

Beef/Pork Liver all finely chopped

Spelt (chick pea flour)

Egg

Water

Mix all the above and dollop small coin-sized amounts onto baking tray

Bake in oven until dried and crispy

Store in airtight container.

You can also use all organic items to make the cookies a real health treat.

What a topical post :(

I just make my own jerky in the dehydrator. But I have made it using a very very slow oven when had some chicken ready to dry forgetting that I had loaned out my dehydrator :)

I also give carrot and apple pieces

I don't use wheat products at all (a personal thing as I don't tolerate it myself) but I will have to try using different flours, thanks for the idea cashew

Liver Spelt Cookies

Spelt (chick pea flour)

Egg

Water

I like the sound of these. Do you aim for a sloppy mix or dry? I'm thinking more dry? And where does one buy spelt? Thanks :(

Put a lump of liver on a plate, cover it with a bowl.

Zap it for a few minutes in the microwave.

Let it cool. Chop it.

VOILA!! :(

For a little variation, you could sprinkle it with some granulated garlic prior to nuking it, or some vegetable stock powder or anything else that might take your fancy (I've even soaked it in cheap bourbon before nuking it on a couple of occasions).

And if you want it REALLY dry and crunchy, you can put it on a baking tray and bake it after you've chopped it. (My dogs like it chewy.)

Nuking it means that your house isn't overwhelmed by cooking liver stink and the bowl stops the splatter.

Going from memory coz its been a long time since Ive looked at the recipe

2 185g tins of tuna in springwater

1 (approx) cup of flour (I use self raising coz thats all thats in my cupboard but Im pretty sure my recipe actually said plain)

2 eggs

garlic powder or chopped garlic

grated cheese

Preheat oven to about 180C (conventional).

Use a fork to break up all the tuna chunks.

Put tuna, eggs, and a tiny bit of water into a blender and blend until its runny.

Pour it back into the bowl, sprinkle garlic in and add flour. Mix until it has the consistency of cake mix. Sometimes I need more flour than others for some reason :)

Pour into baking dish and cover with cheese.

Bake for 15-20mins or until it pulls away from the edges.

My dogs absolutely love this stuff, its the only thing Charlie will choose over a tennis ball so it must be good :D It was originally given to me by someone at flyball as I needed something he would value more than the ball in his mouth. If I can manage to cook it, it must be easy :(

Liver Spelt Cookies

Spelt (chick pea flour)

Egg

Water

I like the sound of these. Do you aim for a sloppy mix or dry? I'm thinking more dry? And where does one buy spelt? Thanks :banghead:

Ohh one word of caution. The mix will be really sticky. The consistency that I always go for is a moist gooey mess. I usually get the chick pea flour from the Indian grocer (they are so much cheaper there) or organic shops. Spelt causes less allergies and are healthier than wheat. The cookies also smell really nutty after you have baked them. Looks suspiciously like choc chip cookies though. Good for Xmas Doggie Treats :)