Seized My American Staffy Info Please

mizzpiggy

Oh MizzPiggy how awful :rolleyes:

I hope you get your dog back. I am not sure what advice to give, but I know if it were me, I would be looking at launching legal action right now. I think the first thing I would be doing is contacting a solicitor to find the lawyers who successfully won Darryn Willis and his dog Rusty's case. From there I would arrange a consultation with Mr Willis' lawyers, and see what they suggested - whether they would be happy to work with me in my state, or whether they could suggest a lawyer in my state with whom they would be happy to share information.

Pursuing justice through legal channels would be expensive and arduous for sure, but the precedents have been set in favour of dog owners, so I'd be fairly confident of a win, and it would dissuade the council from bothering me, or anyone else in future with this crap.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you get Aztec back home safe and sound as soon as possible.

ETA: A thread on Darryn Willis & his dog Rusty's success in court is here: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=150734

Edited by Wobbly

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone’s support.

On Tuesday the 31st we had an appeal hearing of the decision to register Aztec a restricted breed. After about a half an hour the panel agreed that Aztec was not a pit-bull. He was released to us the same day. At first he didn't recognize us and it took about 10 minutes. After that all that was on Aztecs mind was leaving the pound. I was warned by the panel that Aztec was very timid and I was probably fighting a lost cause and that he would have to be put down. Well BS to that he is not timid and came back to his old self within a day. It just goes to show that the pound traumatizes animals and therefore gives false impressions of dogs temperament. It saddens me to think that many dogs have been euthanized purely because the pound workers deemed them timid or unsociable. My husband and I are very happy that our Aztec is back and with a few good feeds he should be fit as a fiddle. I think this entire situation highlights how ignorant and uneducated council dog catchers are. Brings to mind images of the dog catcher from 100 and 1 Dalmatians. Absolutely useless and I have to pay for the privilege of proving so.

yay!!!

That is fantastic news :eek: :eek: :)

I am so glad you got him back so quickly :)

The pound is a horribly traumatic environment for many dogs, but sounds as if he's recovering from the experience quickly now he's back home :)

Understand that buying a dog with papers is a good and safe way to go. The fact is it is not illegal to buy a pup from a non registered breeder. I had that argument with the council after they said perhaps next time I should get papers with a dog assuming that I would not get him back, I did nothing illegal if they don't want me to buy a dog the way i did then make it illegal, if not then don't judge me. I felt like I was being treated like some backyard Meth buyer.

• Haha 1

I have been searching for my dog for over 5 months.

Where has your dog been for 5 months????

Some guy picked him up outside my house and kept him for 6 months. He must have got out from that place and because he was microchipped we were contacted.