Mars Coat Kings

luckypup

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get the coat kings that DONT cut the guard coat and only take out the undercoat? clipperworld has ones that cut both coats that are new with lighter colour handles. i need ones that only take out undercoat and dont cut top coat (darker handles).

Anyone know where to get them these days or are the lighter ones all you can get now?

thanks

You can get something similar from Challenge Dog Supplies in Sydney. It's called an Oster Undercoat Rake and it's similar to a Mars Coat King with wider spaced blades. The blades are blunt and only grip the downy undercoat and remove it, they don't cut or tear the topcoat.

Before you throw the Coat King away in disgust, have you tried putting an elastic band around the teeth? This acts somewhat like running a rubber-gloved hand down a back coat, the hair sticks to it better and pulls rather than cuts (if you do it properly of course).

Bit hard to explain and this photo isn't the best, AND I couldn't find a decent sized elastic band and had to use a small purple dental one, but you should get a general idea of what I mean.

post-864-1229546017_thumb.jpg

Are you using it correctly.They shouldnt damage the coat if used correctly & you have the right # for the job.

I dont use them on the showdogs as i prefer the finish of other strippers & my fingers but we use them all the time in the salon & never cut the coats

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get the coat kings that DONT cut the guard coat and only take out the undercoat? clipperworld has ones that cut both coats that are new with lighter colour handles. i need ones that only take out undercoat and dont cut top coat (darker handles).

Anyone know where to get them these days or are the lighter ones all you can get now?

thanks

What size are you using. You may be using the wrong size on the dog.

we bought the whole set of rakes and all of them seem to cut the coat no matter what size or breed of dog, they still seem to cut both layers of coat. and yes, we are using them correctly. the older coat kings just putt out the undercoat but these dont. i dont know if they changed them or something, maybe they put a different angle on them or something that im not noticing (even though i checked), something is definately different about these ones. and even though we are being very careful we are scared to use them too much as we obviously dont want to make the dogs bald! :D