Raw Feeding

I tried Chicken liver with my girls tonight and they wont have a bar of it either. Is there something to give for fussy dogs, my 2yr old i havent had long (adopted her) and she is difficult to get to eat much really. She is currently on 3% of her current weight broken up into twice daily as it is the only way to get her to eat her entire daily intake.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried Chicken liver with my girls tonight and they wont have a bar of it either. Is there something to give for fussy dogs, my 2yr old i havent had long (adopted her) and she is difficult to get to eat much really. She is currently on 3% of her current weight broken up into twice daily as it is the only way to get her to eat her entire daily intake.

Generally I have to mix offal in with my BARF mix for the dogs to eat it.

I am overseas at the moment and just got an email from mum who couldn't find chicken livers to add into the BARF mix so had to get lamb kidneys instead. She was very detailed in how absolutely disgusting they were :o

Apparently as she was chopping it up some dropped on the floor and little miss piggy (daisy) wouldn't have a bar of it!

Feed 2/3rds of your dog's projected adult weight (I think that's written here too, but can't say I agree with that for a growing pup).

holy batman.

Does that mean a puppy that would end up @ 30kg you'd feed 10kg of food a day?

I think I misunderstood :o

OMG 10 kg of food a day, my Newfy would be a fat boy with lots of joint problems.

I'm trying to keep him on the lighter side because of him being a Giant Breed Pup

but I get awfully confused with the amount to feed.

Guest Tess32
Feed 2/3rds of your dog's projected adult weight (I think that's written here too, but can't say I agree with that for a growing pup).

holy batman.

Does that mean a puppy that would end up @ 30kg you'd feed 10kg of food a day?

I think I misunderstood :)

The whole 10% of weight thing is based on eg the stuff on this page:

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm#daily

No one would feed a puppy 10kg a day :cool:

Mr De bruno used to eat 10% as well (10% of currrent weight). No problems at all, he needed it or he would fade away.

I nearly had to remortgage the house to pay for 6-8 cups of proplan puppy a day. :)

I'm so glad we've switched to raw now.

I can't remember who said to stuff chicken frames with offal but it works :birthday:

Both dogs ate their offal and licked the bowl and grass.

They did also finally finish their fish heads as well :party:

After 9 days on raw the dogs look fantastic, their fur is softer and we haven't had a loose poo at all (except after the off chicken mince :rofl: . Poor buggers. I have learned to carefully sniff before you serve their food :party:

Bella did a wonderfull trick with her lamb yesterday. She scoffed it, threw it up :birthday: , scoffed it, threw it up :cheer: and then ate it slowly and it stayed there....

Feeding raw is more entertaining than television :rofl:

Midol, that is a terrible name change. I now can't believe anything you say :laugh::shrug: :cool:

It's not Midols fault. There is indeed someone greater than god on DOL.

Well I think they only have "one" but on a quick glance, it's quite dangly and looks like several

I think your "gooblies" would be what we call the chicken giblets. That is, liver + heart + anything else that comes form in there. :rofl:

They used to chop it all up and use it in the stuffing. Yummmmm. :thumbsup:

My adult, older Dobe needs no more than about 2% of body weight in her raw diet. I've been using various mixes.

BUT I have found that sardines do not agree with her - make her sick. So maybe, when a dog rejects something - like liver or sardines, it might be better just to forget it and use something else. There are lots of options to choose from.

Edit: 'cause I was in a hurry when I posted.

Edited by noisymina

I can't remember who said to stuff chicken frames with offal but it works :mad

Yes,stuffing chicken frames is great isn't it.I fill frames with a mix of diced heart,liver and kidney before freezing,it's the only way my boy wil eat kidney.Also because frames are quite boney,it can also help to firm-up any runny poops that may be caused by the offal.Glad it's working for you!

Another good book I've just read is "Real food for cats and dogs" by Dr Clare Middle who is a well experienced vet here in Perth. Its a little book and easy to read - plus she basically says if you can be bothered reading the whole thing read page x, y and z for the important stuff. She has a few suggested food plans in there too.

An interesting thing she mentions is the importance of the dogs having fewer meals but bigger ones - the need for their tummy to expend to get their digestion happening (thats my very non-technical rewording by the way).

Also on the fish front - a fish shop I go to sells salmon heads but the other day from another shop I got salmon filleted bodies - no head but the rest of the body and tail with the fillets off already (if that makes sense) and a good amount of flesh on them too. My little girl LOVED them - I think its been her most favourite meal in her 5 months on this earth.

Another question (sorry, soooooo many) - when you juice your fruit and veg do you use just the juice or the pulp that is normally thrown away as well?

Another question (sorry, soooooo many) - when you juice your fruit and veg do you use just the juice or the pulp that is normally thrown away as well?

Both. Although sometimes I have a glass or two of the juice myself, depending on what I've put in :thumbsup:. But definitely, the pulp goes to the dog.

Both. Although sometimes I have a glass or two of the juice myself, depending on what I've put in :rofl: . But definitely, the pulp goes to the dog.

Thanks erny, I've been binning it and was just about to do that with tonights veges.... :thumbsup:

I feed once a day basically alternating with RMB and muscle meat. It all evens out at the end of the week. If I had larger dogs I would probably feed RMB like chicken necks/frames in the morning and then muscle meat & veggie slops in the evening.

BARF FEEDING ROUTINE

MONDAY

Chicken Necks

Slops

TUESDAY

Fish

Slops

WEDNESDAY

Chicken Necks

Yoghurt

Slops

THURSDAY

Kangaroo

Slops

FRIDAY

Chicken Necks

Offal

Slops

SATURDAY

Lamb bones

Slops

SUNDAY

Beef or Lamb or Kangaroo or Pork

Slops

BARF SLOPS INGREDIENTS & METHOD

Things I always include:

- container of alfala spouts

- bunch of spinach (roots cut off)

- bag of carrots

- bunch of celary

- 4 zuccinis

- 3 to 4 oranges (peeled)

- 1 pumpkin

- 2 to 4 apples (pips taken out)

- 2 to 4 bannanas (peeled)

- 8 to 10 eggs (whole including shell)

- flaxseed oil (approx 250mL)

- kelp (approx 100g)

What else you can put in:

- 1 to 2 green capsicums (stalk cut off & seeds out)

- 1 to 2 red caspsicums (stalk cut off & seeds removed)

- bunch of silverbeet

- squash

- sweet potato

- 2 to 4 pears

- half to 1 pinapple

- brussel sprouts

- brocoli

- cauliflower

- bag of beans

- Apple Cider Vinegar

- Vitamin C

Chop up then process up in blender/food processor so that things turn to slops. Put each blender batch into a big bucket. Usually leave the eggs & flaxseed oil for things that don't blend very well like the pumpkin and carrots. Ingredients should fill up a bucket. Mix bucket with big ladel till all mixed through then put into take away containers & freeze untill needed.

This is EXCELLENT! I bet your dogs look fantastic!

Ive fed raw for at least one meal per day since i got my pup. never feed raw and kibble at the same time because i heard they digest at different rates.

ive noticed a few people talking about feeding chicken mince, is this chicken frame mince? if so i brought a kilo the other day and will be feeding it as soon as the beef mince runs out.

what other raw would be suggested for a puppy?? would liver and kidneys be to rich for now