Cane Toads

aus_k9gsd

My poor little man got a cane toad last night, i got to him straight away and washed his mouth out and washed the poison from his face but he still collapsed and had a seizure.

I rushed him to my local vet where he had more seizures and they sedated him and gave him drugs to stop him having fits, then they sent me home with him, they had put an IV line in and gave me needles to give him if he had any more seizures but an hour later he was having problems breathing so i rushed him to the emergancy clinic where he is just hanging on as every time they reduce the seizure medication he starts fitting again, he is on oxygen for his breathing as well, they also have him on drugs to reduce any swelling he may have in his brain.

They are going to try again tonight and slowly wake him to see what he does as they are afraid he may now have permanent brain damage from the seizures last night

Little dogs are so precious, i remember when my Shepherds got a toad i would just wash there mouth out with a hose and they were fine, where as poor little Radar might not make it :laugh:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear poor little Radar isn't well. I hope he improves tonight.

I hate toads, we have heaps in our yard at night, especially when it's been raining. Most nights we go out do a toad run and put them in our freezer. Bastard little things they are. There was one in our laundry last night where my girls sleep! Luckily they are scared of them and run the other way.

Edited by ~Erin~

thanks everyone for your thoughts

Its certainly heartbreaking when one of them get sick

The vet just called, she said he is more responsive and opens his eyes when she talks to him

She is stopping the antiseizure medication and will monitor how he goes, she said its hard to tell if he starts paddling again if is from coming of the drugs or if he is having a fit so unless it’s a bad fit she is going to let him come off them

she said she is more optimistic tonight that he is going to pull through so i will call them at 6am for another update

Oh Im so sorry to hear about Radar.

I hope he makes a full recovery.

I may not post on here very often but that picture of Radar 'smiling' with all his teeth is one of my favourites and has alwys stuck in my mind. I think hes such a gorgeous little guy.

Hugs to you Radar and aus_k9gsd

Aus Flava just let me know about Radar, sending lots of healing vibes to little Radar and hoping he improves through the night.

Sending you lots of hugs and will be praying that the morning brings some positive news for you and the little guy :happydance:

thankyou it means alot to have so much support and people to lean on especially when i dont have family and friends close by so thanks

I just rang the vets, no real change, they said he is stable but he said he is still neurological, so he must still be paddling with his feet, they dont think his symptoms now are from the toad, but they are still trying to reduce his drugs,

he is now not responding to the vets talking to him but it is night and he is a sleepy head :happydance: