Worming Tablets

chuckie500

I've just tried to worm my dogs again this morning and from past experience they hate the stuff. This time I mashed the endoguard tablet up, mixed it with mixed beef, some veges, tinned salmon, and some natures gift, and liver treats. They picked and picked and picked and left half of it. Failed. They are supposed to be palatable. I have tried the chews too and they hate them too.

In your opinion which worming treatment tastes the best for your dogs? Any secrets to getting them eaten?

Thanks

I use the cannex pink ones here. I chop them up into quaters and put them into pieces of cheese. The trick is to give the piece of cheese with the tablet in it whilst holding another piece of cheese. They usually are in such a rush to get the next piece of cheese they don't notice the bit of tablet in the first one.

oK. I think i'll try the drontal chewable next. with a little bit of liver or cooked chicken. that might work. And i think I will wait till they are starving too. like hold their dinner late by a few hours. i must say , i think the tablets smell disgusting myself. :(

I always put them straight down the throat, that way you know they have been dosed.

Easier and quicker and generally less slimy than trying repeatedly to get them to eat something they have munched and spat.

Personally I believe all dogs should be accustomed to being dosed with pills, makes life so much easier if they need medication. It really isn't hard.

I prefer the down the throat option for my dogs - although they will usually gobble them down with furtive looks at each other - he's not getting the treat - its mine!! :thumbsup:

My mum had a good trick for getting tablets into our old dog - once she was over 15 she was a pro at taking the treat and spitting out the tablet. Mum used ice cream for giving her tablets - just put the tablet in a small ball of it - its very slippery and tends to slide down before they have a chance to think about it!

I learnt to give tablets with a very crabby persian cat. She was quite feral and hard to handle. One person would hold her very firmly wrapped in a towel and I'd pry her mouth open and shove the tablet down as far as I could. Even after holding her and rubbing her throat she'd still manage to spit it out once we let her free. So we added another step. Once I'd shoved the tablet down I'd smear some condensed milk on her lips and she was so busy licking that she'd forget to get rid of the tablet :)

learn how to put the tablet down the throat- easy and you know its down there.

one of my girls hates ALL chews even drontal so she gets the fist down the throat - takes 2 seconds and its done. I normally give them a drink first so that their throats are slimey - not nice to have a huge pill down a dry throat :)

• 1 month later...