Offall

Sankari

Just wondering for those who feed the raw diet, what offall do you give to your dogs?

I am starting the raw diet and not sure how often to give offall as i know it is very rich. I have heard once a week is fine?

I have 2 GR's, one who doesnt eat kibble as she hates it and nothing i can do will make her eat it. I figure it is better to just go the natural way. Both girls will be on the raw diet, i just want Charlotte to finish off her kibble then will make the switch permanently with her also. For the moment Charlotte is on half raw and half kibble, and Zoe is on the raw diet.

Zoe's poos are quite significantly smaller and harder than what they were when i adopted her last monday. I am very impressed so far with this diet and Charlotte seems to be a little better in the poo department also once she's on the raw diet completely also i think she'll be heaps better also.

I usally feed lambs kidney once a week. Approx two per pug diced up.

Sometimes they get ox kidney or lambs liver.

The most common offal you can lay your hands on is liver, brain & kidney. Hearts and tounge are usually classified as muscle meats.

I feed lamb kidneys and liver. I believe that liver is a must as it has essential nutrients, about 5% of the diet should be liver.

I feed a chunk of liver about the size of my fist to my two staffords about once a week as well as a couple of kidney if I can get them.

I feed/have fed:

Beef heart

Beef liver

Lamb heart

Lamb kidney

Lamb tongue

Chicken livers

Chicken hearts

These are just things easily accessible to me. I am happy to feed many more things that I don't have access to readily.

I have fed:

lamb kidney

lamb liver

lamb brain

beef kidney

beef liver

chicken liver

chicken kidney (which is usually found adhering to the roof of chicken frames)

salmon/fish brains & eyes (in whole fish or heads)

and all the organs in a rabbit (fed whole with fur, so had everything inside still except for the intestines)

I also feed chicken, lamb and beef hearts, and ox tongues, but count them as muscle meat.

Organs should be around 10% of the diet, with liver being half of that.

Edited by hopenfox

Thanks.

I got Chicken liver today and the girls loved it. My 2yr old Zoe seems to not eat everything all at once, just goes back to it. It could still be the settling in phase, not sure as we only got her Monday just gone.

I could only get my hands on that for the moment, and i'll be going to try and source other offall tomorrow hopefully. I dont have a very big freezer for dog stuff, i can use the human freezer for the mince, veg slop and the bones, but my mum doesnt want the offal in their freezer, has to go in the garage one which is quite small, so could probably only fit about 1kg in there at a time as my rabbit frozen water bottles is in there for hot days.

I couldn't personally feed rabbit to my girls, They might think it is the same as my rabbits and want them as well! :rofl:

Thanks for suggestions of what to get my hands on, will be looking around for some biggish butchers to get it from.