Vet Query

I had a client bring me their 12yo Maltese mix today for grooming. I had been informed the dog was at the vets in the morning because it supposedly had a cough which a chest infection was diagnosed, the dog sent home with medication and the vet informed her it was ok for her to be groomed that day.

SO..

the dog comes in for grooming is washed, dried and i am half way through clipping and this dog's tounge starts going blue and the gums become extremely pale..of course i was quite concerned this dog couldn't breathe! The owner was waiting in the next room, i called her and informed her but she didn't seem worried? She kept saying "oh she always breathes funny when she is stressed, it's all the noise and all the dogs that are stressing her out, the vet said it was just a chest infection" I somehow convinced her to call the vet and inform them the dog was becoming more pale and really breathing heavily! The dog's chest felt bubbly & fluidy but I'm no vet..

The vet told the owner not to worry it is probably just a reaction to the medication and she will be fine once she is home..

After numerous attempts to get her to take the dog to the vet 5 mins from our salon she took the dog and went home only to then find the dog collapses at home and is rushed to their local vet, revived 3 times before passing away (the 2nd time she was about to be sent home but collapsed again).

The owner informed me the dog had several strokes & a heart attack before she finally passed away..

It just worried me that a vet when informed a dog is turning blue that they don't immediately want to see it? I could be overreacting but i thought i'd see what you all thought..

The vet told the owner not to worry it is probably just a reaction to the medication and she will be fine once she is home..

My highlights.

;) OMG!!!!

I'd be feeling somewhat murderous about that Vet! How on earth can they give that sort of response? Why would they write off a "reaction to the medication" even if they had been correct? Mind you, I've had a Vet clinic brush me off when the problem was actually very serious too. Their response when they did finally agree to see her? "Well, she didn't die so that's ok" (or words very close to those). Some Vets are diamonds. Some are stone.

Poor dog. If he had a chest infection why the Vet would have thought the stress of grooming, not to mention having a wash, was "ok" is beyond me.

RIP little pooch.

Edited by Erny

"Well, she didn't die so that's ok" (or words very close to those).

This vet told her something along the lines of "it would've happened anyway it's just lucky you got to be with her"

Edited by AnimalMad

"Well, she didn't die so that's ok" (or words very close to those).

This vet told her something along the lines of "it would've happened anyway it's just lucky you got to be with her"

That is absolutely :o disgusting to both of those comments. Sounds to me kind of like the vet tried to brush the person off for whatever reason by not suggesting to bring it in when it couldn't even breath properly! To me they are definitely negligent. Poor dog, what a way to go. :)

Terribly remiss of the vet IMO and I feel awful for the owner. However who would want to put their dog through a groom when they're sick. :mad

As a groomer I won't touch a dog if they're sick.

RIP doggie :)

efs

Edited by Clyde

Poor little dog.

How about people don't start slamming the evil nasty vet when we are hearing third hand what the vet allegedly said to the owner of the dog, who told the OP who is now telling us.

And agree with Clyde - why put a sick dog through grooming??

Edited by Danois

RIP doggie

I agree , I would not put a sick dog through a grooming session.Apart from anything else the "chest infection" may have been KC and thus infect other dogfs that come in for grooming

I know what we have heard is "hearsay" but I would be furious if a Vet told me that when all the dog's vital signs were looking very serious :(

RIP doggie

I agree , I would not put a sick dog through a grooming session.Apart from anything else the "chest infection" may have been KC and thus infect other dogfs that come in for grooming

If i had of known about the chest infection before this dog was on my doorstep i would've advised her to wait till the dog is better as the last thing i need is for a dog to infect salon dogs with something like KC (plus i don't like putting a dog through any unneeded stress).

Maybe i did the wrong thing by grooming this dog but i didn't want to turn around and make her go all the way home again :/

RIP doggie

If i had of known about the chest infection before this dog was on my doorstep i would've advised her to wait till the dog is better as the last thing i need is for a dog to infect salon dogs with something like KC (plus i don't like putting a dog through any unneeded stress).

Maybe i did the wrong thing by grooming this dog but i didn't want to turn around and make her go all the way home again :/

If, as a customer of yours, I'd found out you'd accepted a sick dog (potentially KC or complications of!) for grooming it would be the last time you would see me in your salon!! Think about the risk to your other customers dogs, not just the extra stress on the sick dog :(

RIP little dog :(

Edited by Jess.

I wouldn't criticise AnimalMad too heavily. From what I gather, she didn't know about the dog's illness to begin with and on top of that the Vet him/herself advised it to be ok to be groomed. I wouldn't have groomed the dog either, if I'd known up front, but AnimalMad is not the 'guilty' party here, IMO.

Really we don't truly know what the Vet said.

I have witnessed some shocker from clients, who either choose not to hear what the Vet says or relay their own version.

I wouldn't have groomed it either, the owner sounds like an idiot.

I had some fool woman want her dog groomed whilst it was in hospital being treated after being hit by a car, the open wounds and broken bones didn't phase her.