Another Question... Best Cooling Mat?

Sashy is not dealing well with the heat, so I want to buy her a cooling mat. I was looking at the CoolChampions K9 Cooling Mat (expensive but looks good), does anyone have any opinions or suggestions on the most effective cooling mat available? Possibly one that is ok for arthritis suffering dogs as well please? There is one on Ebay that claims to be the best and orthopaedic but I just want one that works the best to help my girls get through summer a bit easier.

They all claim to be the best.

Thank you!

I've not seen the different brands available so can't comment, but just something to keep in mind is that some dogs don't like the feel of them... I just got one for Lomani and she won't stand, sit or lie on it! It feels kind of squishy under her feet so she won't go near it. It's serving an excellent purpose of cooling my feet now.... will look at getting her a cool coat me thinks. :(

I have the Cool Champions mat. It feels like a thin quilted parka (not squishy) and when wet it doesn't feel mushy or slimy, just damp. I use it indoors on carpet and it stays cool for several hours.

I can't compare it to any others but I am happy with it, I didn't want a gel one or a fluid filled one as I was afraid of it puncturing.

My boy is still getting used to it. He likes to lick and lick it and then lay down next to it. I've had to coax him onto it but one night I noticed he was laying on his side with his head on it at least (I think this was unintentional as I put it down right next to where he was sleeping and he must have rolled over in his sleep!).

Not sure whether it would assist with arthritis. Are dogs with arthritis ok to lay on something damp or would this aggravate the condition?

Yes that's what I'm afraid of, that it would aggrevate my old girls arthritis which is why I've never bought one for her.

For Sasha though who is young and arthritis free (I hope), sounds like the CoolChamps one would be better for her... less for her to complain about. She may never use it but at least I"ve tried LOL.

Thank you!

I recently bought a Canine Cooler. It's foam filled and you tip water in. Much to my surprise Jamie actually doesn't mind lying on it, though he does prefer the tiles. The point of getting the mat was to cushion his elbows etc... I'm not sure that it's cooler than the tiles but it's certainly softer :laugh: . Weighs a ton though so not very portable.

I bought Pele a gel filled cooling mat and she refuses to lie on it. Ungrateful little doggy :rofl:

Oh well, the humans use it now. Put it behind the outdoor lounge chair and it keeps us cool :laugh:

I bought Pele the Cool Champion Cool Coat and she loves it, altho' we haven't had any real hot weather to use it yet.

I'd go for the Cool Champion one :laugh: One day might buy Pele one of those :champagne:

I actually have both Canine Cooler mat and the Cooling Champions mat for my dog. He doesnt really seem to like the Champions one, especially when it is freshly watered down, in fact he did everything he could to avoid it! (including actually jumping over it so as not to touch it!) he is only now starting to sit on the Canine Cooler mat when he is hot. I personally perfer this one, as i can feel it actually being cooler rather than wet, as opposed to the Champions one that feels like your feet are being drenched when you step onto it (even thought it has been squeezed out as much as possible), so i wouldnt like lying on it either!

Having said that, the Champions Cooling jackets are fantastic though! they keep my dog cool for about an hour or so (depending how hot it is), but again, needs to be well squeezed out, and also needs to be kept an eye on, as if it starts to dry out it just becomes a normal jacket like winter ones!

I guess my final vote would have to be the Canine Cooler Bed. Its soft and good for the joints, and i think its worth the money you pay, as it does cool!

good luck with your choice...till you figure it out, stick your water bowl in the freezer with a little water in it, then in the morning, fill it up with normal water! your dog will thank you hehe :laugh::laugh:

I don't think you'll find many dogs that like the wet feeling on their tummies.

You could get a piece of material to go over it that is somewhat waterproof?

Edited by sas

I have the Cool Champions coat's and mat and love them!! It took the dogs a little while to realize that it cooled them down, but once they worked it out they love it :birthday:

Another vote here for the cool champions. I have both the mat & the coats and they work a treat for my Shepherds. I tried a gel filled one before and when the dogs laid on it, gel ouzed out of the stitching seams! Yukky & heavy as hell. After squeezing out the cool champion, wipe with a towel also and its important to make sure the correct side is to the dog. Mine never get wet from using them.

Sashy is not dealing well with the heat, so I want to buy her a cooling mat. I was looking at the CoolChampions K9 Cooling Mat (expensive but looks good), does anyone have any opinions or suggestions on the most effective cooling mat available? Possibly one that is ok for arthritis suffering dogs as well please? There is one on Ebay that claims to be the best and orthopaedic but I just want one that works the best to help my girls get through summer a bit easier.

They all claim to be the best.

Thank you!

Did you get her a shell pool?

Maybe fill it in the morning when you leave for work.

use ice cream containers also to fill and free big ice blocks and dump

them in also

I had one of those canine cooling mats, it was so heavy I hated it and I found my dog didn't like it that much, and I didn't think it was that cool, sold it and then i've bought a Cool Necessities Cooling Mat, heaps lighter and the dogs seem to like it, stays cools for days. I do however put a sheet over the top but they do lie on it. I mainly use it at the shows

I think the shells are an excellent idea as well

Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations guys, I'm googling them all to see what might suit Sashy better!!

Hi Bartok, :thumbsup:

Yep she certainly does have her own shell pool... but for some reason she won't go in it. Might dip her feet in now and then, but has to be really revved up to actually get in it. I've been filling it up for her regardless, but she only seems to think it's a big water bowl to drink from.

I've also been filling her up buckets of water for her to dunk her whole snout into, you know how she loves doing the whole submarine thing and blowing snot in it. And I put in a sandy part in the cool shade against the house and I wet that down for her on hot days. Plus she loves lying on the tiles in the air con, but she gets uncomfy and goes back outside anyway.

I guess there's not alot more I can do, but I just thought maybe a cooling mat might help to take the edge off. Not sure if she'd even like it, but it's just another thing I could try.

But she's doing so well, no one can believe the difference in her. She's growing in confidence and getting really cheeky - and is always tagging along behind one of us wherever we go. We've been working on training and she's learning really fast. She's made escape attempts a couple of times when Michael has opened the garage roller door, and she thinks it's a lovely game of chasing. Although she knows it's naughty and comes home with her head down, thoroughly ashamed of herself. She loves the lake and the ducks, although not the swans who hiss at her menacingly. She's just a really fantastic dog and we are loving having her as part of the family. Everyone who visits is instantly in love. She is great with my 17 month old nephew - about the same height as him and follows him around fascinated and is so patient, even when he's pegging her toys at her. She trips up the nieces/nephews with her long gangly legs sometimes, but is always there to offer a kiss and to help clean up any food they drop!!

Anyway, just thought you might like an update on how she's going. Can't imagine how we survived without her now!!!

The K9 coats and mats in PINK are on special at the moment, due to a problem with the pink dye. I've just bought some but they havent arrived yet.

I've tried teh gel filled ones in the past and the dogs would not go near them - squishy and wet!

For an arthritic dog, these look good http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/pet-cooler-bed-1/

as they have foam in them too. They can be used water side up for cooling, or foam side up for general use.

I know she is a happy girl. Probably a different dog to what I new.

Although she was just a delight and always up for cuddles.

Only different because I think she has found a permanent place she fits into, somewhere to call home and has let down her guard, let go of her fears. She still loves her cuddles and kisses (yes will attempt to sit in my LAP) and will lean on you for hours if you let her.

But she still has that devilish streak, I know you know that look that I mean. You can reliably predict when she is about to be naughty. :rofl: No poker face there.

Bitty I did notice that a few days ago on their website regarding the pink mats. I think you just have to follow a certain extra procedure and they will function normally with no dye problems? Thanks for the advice for my old arthritic girl... will check them out!!