Hot Spots

booboo

I adopted Zoe last week, and when she came into the shelter she had a hot spot. They shaved the back of her head and was on Neotopic and antibiotics and it's fine now.

I have been told that curash is great for hot spots. You can type into google "hot spots dogs" and should come up with some info and suggestions of what you can use.

I'm sure there would be other threads here also.

Oakway: I would have thought that would sting a bit...

Good luck with it and hope it clears soon.

Spray it with pure Listerine Antiseptic and it will go.

OUCH!

thanks for that... would it not sting a bit ?.. Booboo

Yes, I would imagine so :rofl:

I have dealt with many hotspots. If you get them quick enough, you can stop them from becoming so bad that they need vet treatment.

I have used lots of things in the past including Curash Powder but the most effective thing I have found was Living Nature Manuka Oil and Honey Antiseptic Gel which is now produced as Rescue Gel from HERE.

I have seen a hotspot disappear overnight after using this stuff and can't recommend it highly enough.

You can use it for all sorts of things, not just the dog :rofl:

It's also good to work out why your dog might get hotspots - whether it's because they haven't been dried off enough after a swim or a bath, or if a reaction to something in the food they eat (grains are known to increase the incidence of hotspots in some breeds).

Spray it with pure Listerine Antiseptic and it will go.

OUCH!

thanks for that... would it not sting a bit ?.. Booboo

Yes, I would imagine so :rofl:

I have dealt with many hotspots. If you get them quick enough, you can stop them from becoming so bad that they need vet treatment.

I have used lots of things in the past including Curash Powder but the most effective thing I have found was Living Nature Manuka Oil and Honey Antiseptic Gel which is now produced as Rescue Gel from HERE.

I have seen a hotspot disappear overnight after using this stuff and can't recommend it highly enough.

You can use it for all sorts of things, not just the dog :eek:

It's also good to work out why your dog might get hotspots - whether it's because they haven't been dried off enough after a swim or a bath, or if a reaction to something in the food they eat (grains are known to increase the incidence of hotspots in some breeds).

Thank you for giving those suggestions ArtyFarty, I must add them to my list of things to help for hot spots. :rofl:

one of my goldens got his one and only, touch wood, hot spot when he aged over 3 - but it was very humid at the time, beginning of last year when there was alot of rain around.

The other golden used to get them alot but I'm pretty vigilant. I'm really strict about her diet, not lamb based kibble and the first sign of one out comes the curash AND it's wiped down with antibacterial wet ones (the ones in the red pack). This will normally stop them in Tilly.

I'm going to try the suggestion here though as well thanks :-0

Some other things that I use that have't been mentioned are wash the area with Malsaab and ensure you dry the area completly (use a hairdryer) and using cortisone creme just the 0.5% stuff from the chemist. If any of these things don't dry out the spot within a day or two - go to the vet for some antibiotics.

Ilium neocort works really well on Bosco,but I've found that stuff like sudocrem or curash seem to work just as good.My vet told me that Betadine will also work on hot spots.

The most important thing that I've found is getting to them early on,they can turn real bad-real fast.