Flickr Users

Chloes Dad

there is a website out there called polyvore it has the ability to take images from your flickr library and allow others to access them and create montages/collages with them, it is creating a bit of a stir on flickr and a petition has begun to get the site shut down. I have had a bit of a search on the site for photos that have been used of mine and of some of my flickr friends. none of mine have been used but below is a link to one of vickie's that has been used.

http://www.polyvore.com/opet/set?id=4471471

if you want to check to see if any of your flickr images have been accessed by users of this site you can do so by going to http://www.polyvore.com and in the search on the top right change from sets to items and type in your flickr name.

if you feel strongly about this and want to sighn the petition you can find it here

Polyvore has commented on this situation on their blog and there is a link to a form to have your property removed from their site

Edited by Chloes Dad

How did you find Vickies image there. I cant imagine anyone would use mine although I did see someone had put one of mine on her favourites page, but I am sure that's allowed.

you can search for your images on the site by sing the search function. Adding a favorite in flickr is not a copyright infringement as you are fully credited and your work is not altered/moved in any way. these people are taking your hard work and using it in their own creations without crediting the artists or requesting rights.

Yes but CD, that happens all the time

true but this is different, the below quote is taken from a deviant art website article.

Polyvore has not actively educated its users on copyright and has not taken any initiative to aid in the protection of intellectual property, rather it has created an atmosphere that not only condones but encourages intellectual property theft.

this is the bit that gets me the most. it has given people a domain to butcher peoples art and photos and then showcase it as their own. it shows a blatant disregard for copyright and intellectual property

I have been using something that helps me find my images on the web, very interesting

(and yes it found a few I was not aware of).

Ooh ooh what what is this "something"???

I bloody hate these online image databases that just steal all images regardless of copyright :birthday:

And the "artists" who source their "stock" from them...

That's how I ended up on a deck of cards, a series of stickers and god knows what else that is turning a nice profit, none of which goes to me... Argh!

I always think, if you think of the instances your image has been used that you know about... Think how many other instances there must be that you don't know about :birthday:

That's how I ended up on a deck of cards, a series of stickers and god knows what else that is turning a nice profit, none of which goes to me... Argh!

A deck of cards you say? My friend's OH ended up on the back end of a bus! He's not even a model.

A deck of cards you say? My friend's OH ended up on the back end of a bus! He's not even a model.

Eh wha??? Your friend's OH's photo got stolen by some brand that puts ads on the backs of buses? What was it???

& how on earth did he have an image of high enough resolution to be blown up that large online in the first place?

Geez! :birthday:

I think this is a blatent dishonesty on the part of the person taking the photos without the permission of the photographer, it is totally direspectful IMHO.

It is very wrong for some one to butcher someone elses photos and call it their own work :birthday::birthday:

I knwo from experience my photos have been used without my permission and it annoys the crap out of me it doesnt take much for someone to ask. Maybe these people should invest in their own cameras and learn to take their own shots!!!!! But i guess that is all too hard much easier to steal someone elses.

Sorry small rant :cheer:

Before I startede putting a watermark across the images someone stole some of mine and put them on so called 'first day covers' and they are still tyring to sell them now and again on ebay. And there is nothing you can do as ebay doesnt care about copyright infringement unless its an image stolen from the ebay site.

And the seller use to come up with stories about not knowing things on the web are copyrighted, etc now they just say 'they bought them from a fair in SA'. Luckily the horses were not that popular so they dont sell but really if they want pics for envelopes they should get theselves out inthe hot weather or freezing rain and take the damn pics themselves!

So unless its on a stock site that has the right click disabled it has a watermark across it - I figure if they spend the hours trying to removed the watermar then they have earnt the small amount they reckon they will get from it. And guess what none of the wtermark ones have turned up on envelopes! (and note people could buy the proper 10x15 print for less than the envelopes are sold for)

Well a model was very late for a shoot so he stood in, they just wanted a profile in shadow and he has a nice profile. He works in advertising. He wasn't aware the photographer would use the shot for the actual advertising campaign though but as he didn't want to rock the boat, said nothing. I remember being behind the bus and ringing up my friend saying, "Your boyfriend is in front of me" We gave him heaps about it. This was a few years back now.

Thanks for the heads up Pete. I will be signing the petition too & will try to post a comment on the image.

I agree it happens all the time, but you are right, the site seems to encourage it. The worst I have had is people selling my images on ebay. That really sucked.

Jules and I have both been through varying degrees of this (Copyright infringement)

I came across this browser plug-in few weeks back. (and immediately found more of our images used without permission)

It's def worth having - even if only for curiosity value.

http://tineye.com/plugin

Here's some more examples of unauthorised use (from Flickr):

A photograph I took (Bollywood producer & actor)

...and this is what happened after uploading to Flickr:

it turned up :

here,

here

here

here

here

here

and

here

oh someone else pinched it and put it on imageshack as well...

Some of you might know about the problems my wife (JulesLuvsCavs) had with a photo of our Joey, she removed it from Flickr in the end.

Well, it's still out there (other than as my avatar...)

Another of my shots 5th one down is mine. It's also here Here's my original

There was also a case a while back, where an image (of a girl texting) sourced from Flickr was used in an advert for a mobile phone carrier (V)

The ad was 'featured' on the side of a bus shelter (in Adelaide).

No photographer consent, no model release and no payment for it's use.

As I understand it, it was the girls family who saw the ad and it was subsequently removed... sorry I can't find the link/info on it atm.

Regards,

Michael

Edited by BlenheimBoy

Jules and I have both been through varying degrees of this (Copyright infringement)

I came across this browser plug-in few weeks back. (and immediately found more of our images used without permission)

It's def worth having - even if only for curiosity value.

http://tineye.com/plugin

Here's some more examples of unauthorised use (from Flickr):

A photograph I took (Bollywood producer & actor)

...and this is what happened after uploading to Flickr:

it turned up :

here,

here

here

here

here

here

and

here

oh someone else pinched it and put it on imageshack as well...

Some of you might know about the problems my wife (JulesLuvsCavs) had with a photo of our Joey, she removed it from Flickr in the end.

Well, it's still out there (other than as my avatar...)

Another of my shots 5th one down is mine. It's also here Here's my original

There was also a case a while back, where an image (of a girl texting) sourced from Flickr was used in an advert for a mobile phone carrier (V)

The ad was 'featured' on the side of a bus shelter (in Adelaide).

No photographer consent, no model release and no payment for it's use.

As I understand it, it was the girls family who saw the ad and it was subsequently removed... sorry I can't find the link/info on it atm.

Regards,

Michael

Yeah its not right what people get away with regardless that we are putting our images online, especially when they are marked copyright! :thumbsup:

Sometimes I think people think it's an easy and free place to get images for their business's/blog sites instead of doing it professionally ! :laugh:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs