Any Thoughts On Using Pinetarsol To Wash Itch Dog ?

chepet

:( Hi guys , I was up at the chemist this morning & while I was waiting I noticed the Pinetarsol which is used in the bath for dry itchy skin ,& it started me wondering if it would help Ralph my Cairn terrier , he's nearly going crazy itching ,I've been using Aloveen , but I don't think it does anything ,his skin is starting to smell from scratching all the time , he has telfast pills daily but I am changing them to Phenergan tomorrow ,he has apple cider vinigar in his drinking water & evening primrose oil in his food -- he is on the BARF diet ,I can't think of anything else I can do

What do you think of the Pintarsol ?

I've used it. I use a dog specific coal tar shampoo which helps too, with an occasional rinse in pinetarsol.

It all depends on what is making your dog itch though... I would be trying to get to the cause, eg fleas, food allergies, environmental allergies etc, rather than just treating the symptoms.

I feel you need to look at your fatty acid ratios.... free range red meats have different ratios of omega fatty acids to grain fed animals. The levels of omega ^ fatty acids are \much higer with grain fed.

sources of omega 3 :

green leafy vegetables,soy, canola oil, flax seed oil, cold water and marine fish oil eggs, . Herrings,sardines,salmon, mackerel all have high levels of omega 3 fatty acids

Food Sources of Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids

Include:

Safflower oil - the richest natural source

Sunflower oil

Corn oil

Sesame oil

Hemp oil (best balance of omega 6:3)

Pumpkin oil

Soybean oil

Walnut oil

Wheatgerm oil

Evening Primrose oil

the amounts of the omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids and their ratios influence whether they reduce or promote inflammation in the body. as a consequence i would seek a consult witha reputable holistic vet to

if you are supplementing a balanced diet with fatty acids you need to give Vit E as well

cheers

H

Just be careful what you supplement with... Your dog may have food allergies in which case you may end up supplementing him with something he is allergic to. Same thing with supplements which contain plant extracts - its possible you will make it worse if you give something or apply something topically which he might be allergic to...

Hi guys ,thanks for your replies :rolleyes: ,his allergies are seasonal , mainly contact , grass I think ,he has no fleas ,as for supplements , I give him evening primrose oil & fish oil ,I capsule each squeezed on his food at night ,do you think that's okay ? I also feed him a tin of sardines once a week

I've been looking for the evening primrose oil shampoo but I can't find it & no one seems to know it

Hi guys ,thanks for your replies :rolleyes: ,his allergies are seasonal , mainly contact , grass I think ,he has no fleas ,as for supplements , I give him evening primrose oil & fish oil ,I capsule each squeezed on his food at night ,do you think that's okay ? I also feed him a tin of sardines once a week

I've been looking for the evening primrose oil shampoo but I can't find it & no one seems to know it

Hi Janelle from Classic Show Supplies stocks it her on line shop is

http://www.classicshowsupplies.com.au/

The groomers range of products are fantastic !

Kind Regards

Malisa

How long have you been feeding a BARF diet for? It can take a good few months for the body to basically detox.

Do you include grains in it? If you still include things like rice and pasta then this could be causing the problem.

What do you feed for treats? Things like smacho's and pigs ears have addatives that can cause itching.

I've looked into ordering the evening primrose oil shampoo & conditioner ,my problem now is , the shampoo comes in 1% - $ 28 & 3%-$ 36 (vet strength),I don't care about price as long as it works & puts him out of his misery - I have emailed 2 different places I have found that have it to find out which I need but they haven't gotten back to me as yet , which one do you guys use ? & do you use the conditioner ? I was going to use it as Ralph is a cairn with long hair

I'm going through this atm. I have found Megaderm has helped. I'd be careful playing around with food. BARF is not the cure for everything. At this stage I have had to take my little girl off BARF.

It's a bugger and you have my full sympathy.

Rappie sent me an awesome PM recently with a rundown of everything to do with allergies. I've asked her to rewrite it as a sticky (nag nag) so perhaps shoot her a PM and she may be able to send that same PM to you as it was a wealth of info.

We have a staffy that used to have skin issues that were seasonal and we use Malaseb shampoo. You can even use it in their ears as a wash 1:30 ratio is what we use.

In itchy season he is washed each week and in winter when he is not itchy he is only tubbed once a month.

He also takes 2 x 1000mg fish oil tablets a day and a polaramine tablet each day as well - we have found this works for us really well.

Snot has skin issues at the moment as well, he is currently on a course of antibiotics for it...

I have been using the Meleseb washes and spot washes for the past 3 weeks (minus this last week) I have found it hasn't helped (with him)

If anything it got a bit worse :thumbsup:

The vet said his skin looked a bit dry, so I am just waiting for this to arrive:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Value-Plus-Omega-3-...1742.m153.l1262

It saves fussing about with individual supplements, and has all of the oils needed.