Web Site's Teaching Obedience

thankyou but clicker no good to me I have a Gundog that I hunt with not sure if it will work guns ammo hands full

You've said you're interested in training for CCD, so I wouldn't imagine you need to be carrying your gun and ammo when training for this?

Yes for sure although some judges could certainly be easy to sway with guns and ammo. Your right but I was thinking of incorporating the training for all purpose as the disipline is the same dumb bell/ downed game.

OK - so I start with clicker training in the house (nice, low distraction) and then use a 'bridge' word (good) when we hit the outside world. Does that help? I like the clicker itself for a couple of reasons, not least of which my Dally knows it's "think outside the square time"....especially if he wants his dinner :hitself:

Sorry I still don't understand why can't you clicker train a gun dog even if you want to do field/retrieving trials in the future. :hitself:

I have a 2yo golden retriever. We compete in agility and I mainly use clicker training for that. We also started training for CD and I also do it using clicker training mostly. I am also looking into starting to train for field trials and am also going to use the clicker.

To be honest I know nothing about clicker training i will read up on it. I just thought you actually click something in your hand thats why I say it difficult also I dont wont to train for two different situations

Yes, you do have to hold something in your hand when you click. I have a wrist band and my clicker is on my wrist so I don't have to hold it all the time.

You only use the clicker during the learning stage. Once the dog knows the behavior you put a cue on it and don't click anymore.

I don't know what you mean by 'two different situations'. Once the dog knows a behavior like heel they should know it in all the situations.

Any ??????

There are a huge amount of training sites on the web (Google dog training) - I like this one: http://www.dogstardaily.com/

Whether your dog is going to be a hunting dog or not, it'll still need a lot obedience training, and Karen Prior's clicker training site is great...

Even a hunting dog doesn't know what it's supposed to do, or how it's supposed to behave, unless taught.

There will be differences in training for obedience and field or retrieving trials I am sure.

Some things that are useful for obedience:

* Teach attention/eye contact

* Teach the dog to find heel position from anywhere

* Teach the 'front' position for the recall (sitting in front of you)

* Teaching your choice of finish (return to heel position) - either going around the handlers or flipping/swinging around.

Here are some sites I just found

* Attention - there are several ways to teach this, this is one site I found (with a clicker :thumbsup: ) -

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001/attention.htm

Will look for more