Raw Chicken Wings

I've been told by my breeder to include raw chicken wings as a part of my new 10wk old beagle puppy's diet.

However, I'm not sure if its what everyone else does as well? His teeth seem so small at the moment and takes a long time to eat one wing (which is good).

But from his Poop, I did see a small fragment of bone, is that okay for his intestines?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Our pups love them and at 16wks those bones don't last long at all. I'm pretty sure raw chicken bones are easily digested so there isn't the same danger of damage to the intestines from spurs and such but I'm guessing pups like kids digestive systems work faster than adults so sometimes the food comes out looking similar to what it went in looking like IYKWIM

Silly question here - can you freeze them?

Definitely, just the same as you'd freeze your own food. No probs at all. I started my kid on necks and she's now progressed to wings, chomps her way through them with great gusto. Once or twice in this heat a wing I've given hasn't been totally soft and defrosted, she sniffs a bit then eating as usual.

Careful with chicken necks. I thought Rodney would be fine with them since he always chewed them before swallowing. One day he didnt chew, just swallowed :cry: very scary and anxious night of waiting!

....having said that, some people never have any problems!

Edited by dogon

Careful with chicken necks. I thought Rodney would be fine with them since he always chewed them before swallowing. One day he didnt chew, just swallowed :cry: very scary and anxious night of waiting!

Unless they choke on a chicken neck, I would think that so long as it goes down, they should be fine. The bone pieces in the necks are quite small, and once it goes down it will be digested as it passes through the intestines anyway. Most troubles happen when things pass through that can't be digested at all...

Unless they choke on a chicken neck, I would think that so long as it goes down, they should be fine. The bone pieces in the necks are quite small, and once it goes down it will be digested as it passes through the intestines anyway. Most troubles happen when things pass through that can't be digested at all...

And if they can't digest it ie. swallow before it is chewed properly, they will probably throw it up and start all over

And if they can't digest it ie. swallow before it is chewed properly, they will probably throw it up and start all over

... :cry: unless for some unknown reason the bones become impacted in the bowl and they can't pass them or they throw up a chunk of bone and it gets caught in it's throat - a definite risk according to my vet hence the anxious wait I had to go through. All was well. Just thought it might be worth saying is all. I still feed them btw.

Edited by dogon

Silly question here - can you freeze them?

I buy chicken necks in bulk and bag up 2-3 to a small freezer bag and pull out as needed and thaw in the fridge. On hot days like today I might toss some frozen chicken wings out onto the lawn as "ice blocks" :(

I started Pele (Bull Terrier) on chicken necks when she came home at 8 weeks old, and think that she was eating chicken necks by 10 weeks. Last night she had a chicken frame for dinner :)

We freeze our chicken wings, lamb necks and any other pieces of chicken and defrost them in the fridge for 24 hours with their barf patties. One whole shelf of the fridge is dedicated to dog food :)

Same here :(

I think 10 weeks is too young to tolerate wings properly. I'd be feeding this pup chopped chicken necks for a couple of weeks, then try to reintroduce the wings

Well he seems to chew on it for a long time (about 30mins). and he seems to poop okay at the moment,

but I actually don't' know how to tell if he is pooping abnormally....

I think 10 weeks is too young to tolerate wings properly. I'd be feeding this pup chopped chicken necks for a couple of weeks, then try to reintroduce the wings

Well he seems to chew on it for a long time (about 30mins). and he seems to poop okay at the moment,

but I actually don't' know how to tell if he is pooping abnormally....

except for the 2cm pieces of bone??? That is a concern. I would go very easy for a while as I said, and reintroduce the wings later.

As long as your pup is eating the wings without choking I wouldn't be worried. We got Lizzy (Pug) at 9 weeks old she was eating wings and necks from the day we got her.

I would imagine a 10 kw old beagle should be able to eat wings without any problems at all.

My Rottie pups have been eating chicken wings since they were 7 weeks old a long with necks and frames. By 8 weeks they were giving lamb necks a good go. As the pups get older they get better and quicker at eating bones and are better able to digest them.

JMO - but each to their own. ;)