Puppy Poop :(

rish

Hi,

im new and my name is Trish,we have a lovely brown pup "Leigh" 10 weeks old,we have had her for 2 weeks,when we got her she was skin and bones,it was sad.

My problem is that Leigh hasnt yet passed a hard stool,in fact she is on/off with the runs,we have wormed her 3 !!! times and gotton dead worms.

Leah also goes to the loo at night,we cant seem to train her to go in the day :(

She will be taken to the vet within the f/night,but any help would be nice

:)

rish... she may well be wormy, or ill, or not digesting her food properly, or being fed food unsuitable.

So- has she had any vaccinations?

Been to the vet when you first got her, or before?

What was she being fed?

What is she being fed now?

How many meals a day?

What worming preparation/s have you used?

We are worming her with DRONTAL (because her poo is showing worms) and are feeding her dry biscuts (im not a great speller-sorry) with food scraps,we have to wait for a cheaque to clear before the vets,she had gained alot of weight,and is very well,its just the stools have no or very little um solidness in any.

I actually paid for her,and the whole litter was appaling :(

She has her vet cheak from "them" and has 3 mains a day :)

What are you feeding her Trish? Was she a rescue?

we paid 4 her,and feed her quality biscutes and table scraps

Hi,

im new and my name is Trish,we have a lovely brown pup "Leigh" 10 weeks old,we have had her for 2 weeks,when we got her she was skin and bones,it was sad.

My problem is that Leigh hasnt yet passed a hard stool,in fact she is on/off with the runs,we have wormed her 3 !!! times and gotton dead worms.

Leah also goes to the loo at night,we cant seem to train her to go in the day :(

She will be taken to the vet within the f/night,but any help would be nice

:)

What biscuits are you feeding they mightnt agree with her if theyre full of cereals what brand are they?.And what sort of table scraps? Its often what the dog eats that cause the runs

One of our pups had very runny poos on and off for the first week or two - we did try and use the same food as where we got them from and then slowly change over to what we wanted to use. We also found out he was eating eggplant from our vege garden :( which I think is what was causing the runny poos. Our vet also mentioned introducing "human" food could cause the runs if they weren't mature enough for it

hello and congrats on you new little frined ;)

I would phone your local vet and let them know that you are worried and they might be able to give you an idea of what to do also quite often they will see your pup and give you an account esp if you are waiting on funds to clear :cool:

maybe its all of the worming stuff that is upsetting your pups tummy??

Let us know how things go

I think worming her 3 times in 2 weeks without veterinary consult, may have resulted in the runny poo..

Not necessarily, our vet wormed our cat twice before we picked her up and we had to worm her again 2 days later??? She was a stray

Until a vet checks out your puppy, its all speculation as to what's wrong.

Some pups do get upset stomachs from worming pastes, some don't handle certain brands of dog food or table scraps well and others can pick up stomach bugs.

It could be Coccodia, ongoing worm burden or a range of other issues. The important thing to remember is that a pup with diarohhea is missing out on important nutrients from its food. Get it to the vet for a proper diagnosis as soon as you can.

The best thing you could do to manage the issue in the meantime would be to give the pup a bland diet of something like boiled chicken and rice.

THE SCRAPS ARE MEAT/VEGS AND EVEN PANCAKES,THE BISCUTES ARE .........CANT REMEMBER THE NAME,BUT EXCELLENT 1S ON vETS ADVICE ,SHE WAS DOING THE RUNS THE DAY WE GOT HER

aLSO I THINK SHE thinks INSIDE IS WHERE THE TOLIT IS ! SHE WAS OUT ALL DAY (SHE NORMALLY POO'S AT 4AM-6IS) WE LET HER IN,SHE POOED..............RUNNY.....:thumbsup:

What biscuits are you feeding they mightnt agree with her if theyre full of cereals what brand are they?.And what sort of table scraps? Its often what the dog eats that cause the runs

i DID DO THE RICE,BUT ADDED YUMMIES.

We will do it today with plainbland rice.chicken,i totally dont know why i didnt think of that-she also drinks so much !,that whats worried me alot,in this heat (Central Coast) we try to keep them all inside ,out for pee/play ,inside.

Can the "learn" backwards,that inside is the tolid event though she is praised when she goes outside,and smaked when inside

Until a vet checks out your puppy, its all speculation as to what's wrong.

Some pups do get upset stomachs from worming pastes, some don't handle certain brands of dog food or table scraps well and others can pick up stomach bugs.

It could be Coccodia, ongoing worm burden or a range of other issues. The important thing to remember is that a pup with diarohhea is missing out on important nutrients from its food. Get it to the vet for a proper diagnosis as soon as you can.

The best thing you could do to manage the issue in the meantime would be to give the pup a bland diet of something like boiled chicken and rice.

We have dont it because there have been live worms there,and its been over 2 weeks,starting the day we got her,and she had the runs then ,none of the other dogs (3) have the runs,yet have had to be re-wormed with her

I think worming her 3 times in 2 weeks without veterinary consult, may have resulted in the runny poo..

Certainly keep her on a bland diet until you get to the vets. You could ring the vet for advice if you can't get in there to see them. Most vets are happy to speak to you on the phone when they are free of consults. Though they are likely to say to get her in ASAP. Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fall back on when they get sick. Does she know when she needs to poo or does it just come out suddenly? She's still only a baby yet so may take a while for her to get the idea of housetraining. My dog was 6 months before she didn't have an accident inside. Please don't smack her if she has an accident inside. There are a lot of threads on DOL about housetraining if you do a search.

We will do it today with plainbland rice.chicken,i totally dont know why i didnt think of that-she also drinks so much !,that whats worried me alot,in this heat (Central Coast) we try to keep them all inside ,out for pee/play ,inside.

Can the "learn" backwards,that inside is the tolid event though she is praised when she goes outside,and smaked when inside

If you're going to smack anyone for her pooing inside, smack yourself. She's a bub with the runs and she'd have very little bowel control. If you want her to poo outside, get her out regularly and praise her for the right thing. Unless you actually catch her in the act of toileting inside, she won't know what you are smacking her for anyway. If you do catch her in the act, just an "uh uh" and pick her up to be whisked outside would be more effective.

When you are at the vet, see if they have a puppy pre-school. I think both you and she would enjoy it and learn a lot. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Please don't smack her.

You are the adult- and responsible for her- the baby-!

At 10 weeks puppies do not have a lot of control over toilet things... and if she also has diarrhoea... then there is NO way you will be able to housetrain her comfortably!!

She drinks lots, because she is getting rid of way too much water with her diarrhoea.

It is DANGEROUS for small pups to have sloppy poo for more than a few days, as they lose so much water, and the mineral salts (electrolytes) needed to keep their bodies operating correctly!!!

Have you at least phoned your vet?

Dogs do NOT need vegetables.... or, if they are fed as part of a raw food diet- it is only pureed and in small quantities.

vegetables have a lot of fibre--- which dogs, and especially puppies are not good at digesting :thumbsup:

Also- processed meats, fatty meats, salted meats are not the easiest for a pup to digest properly.

Pancakes are not necessary. Flour and milk are NOT needed by dogs.A lot of dogs cannot digest the lactose in milk, and get the runs.

The dry food you are feeding? at some stage can you grab the packet, and tell us the brand/name?

Knowing what exactly it is may be a help.... :thumbsup:

If you bought the pup- did she come with a vaccination certificate, or a vet check?

What was she eating before you got her?

Edited by persephone

we are booked in 4 tomorrow :thumbsup:

One of our pups had very runny poos on and off for the first week or two - we did try and use the same food as where we got them from and then slowly change over to what we wanted to use. We also found out he was eating eggplant from our vege garden :thumbsup: which I think is what was causing the runny poos. Our vet also mentioned introducing "human" food could cause the runs if they weren't mature enough for it

I knew i would get in trouble for smaking her,but its only little smacks,

I rung the vet and we are booked in 2morrow,she said it could be the worming we did,BUT she had the runs when we got her ?

She told us rice/chicken to :thumbsup:

I threw the package out,and i aritight there food,so i cant remember,i think its OPUIM or something like that.

I didnt know the rest on pups and iv had so many !!! thanks for that info.

We are doing puppy school when it startes.

She has a vet cheak,but im pretty sure they were feeding the litter all at 1c and the biggest got it,i didnt see any water either :thumbsup:

If you're going to smack anyone for her pooing inside, smack yourself. She's a bub with the runs and she'd have very little bowel control. If you want her to poo outside, get her out regularly and praise her for the right thing. Unless you actually catch her in the act of toileting inside, she won't know what you are smacking her for anyway. If you do catch her in the act, just an "uh uh" and pick her up to be whisked outside would be more effective.

When you are at the vet, see if they have a puppy pre-school. I think both you and she would enjoy it and learn a lot. :thumbsup:

We take her out-side all the time

I knew i would get in trouble for smaking her,but its only little smacks,

I rung the vet and we are booked in 2morrow,she said it could be the worming we did,BUT she had the runs when we got her ?

She told us rice/chicken to :thumbsup:

I threw the package out,and i aritight there food,so i cant remember,i think its OPUIM or something like that.

I didnt know the rest on pups and iv had so many !!! thanks for that info.

We are doing puppy school when it startes.

She has a vet cheak,but im pretty sure they were feeding the litter all at 1c and the biggest got it,i didnt see any water either :thumbsup: