Et Were Doin It !

SwaY

:rofl: Well done Pearl and WG! I am going to do it next year with my boy. Went and watched the start of the Adelaide ET this morning to see how it is run and pick up a few tips. Left after the first break and everyone (about 16) was going strong.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl: Well done Pearl and WG! I am going to do it next year with my boy. Went and watched the start of the Adelaide ET this morning to see how it is run and pick up a few tips. Left after the first break and everyone (about 16) was going strong.

You'll love it, Bear did his last year and now Pearl but we still bike all year round, great way to keep the dogs fit and they really enjoy it especially in summer when the night cools down, nothing like a meandering bike ride :)

Congrats to the new ET'ers! Awesome stuff. Ours is next Saturday, I hope the weather is as lovely as this weekend.

Thanks GayleK - as I said earlier we had a perfect day for an ET, plus no wind and no rain.

You'll have a great time next week, enjoy it, and best of luck on the day. ;)

Congrats to all the ETers too.

I've just decided to enter my mini schnauzer (nearly 3yrs) in the Dogs NSW Endurance test on 9 August. That gives us 6 weeks to get ready. I'm going to jog rather than ride and we currently jog fairly regularly about 8km at a time.

Does anyone have any tips about how best to build the kms over the next 6 weeks? How often did everyone train their dogs? Did you run them more than 3 times a week? For how long? Dos & don'ts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've just decided to enter my mini schnauzer (nearly 3yrs) in the Dogs NSW Endurance test on 9 August. That gives us 6 weeks to get ready. I'm going to jog rather than ride and we currently jog fairly regularly about 8km at a time.

Does anyone have any tips about how best to build the kms over the next 6 weeks? How often did everyone train their dogs? Did you run them more than 3 times a week? For how long? Dos & don'ts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I couldn't run that far if my life depended on it :) We had two runners on Saturday and one person made it the whole way and the other elected to ride the last approx 6kms.

I bike my dogs 3 times a week and slowly increase the amount of kilometres I do and also make sure to use all the different surfaces required, swim them fortnightly and walk about 10kms each day (not on the days we bike) with lots of free running to keep their endurance levels up.

Sounds like your dog will have no problems with the distance if you both jog together regularly. Good luck and let us know how you go :)

I couldn't run that far if my life depended on it :D We had two runners on Saturday and one person made it the whole way and the other elected to ride the last approx 6kms.

I bike my dogs 3 times a week and slowly increase the amount of kilometres I do and also make sure to use all the different surfaces required, swim them fortnightly and walk about 10kms each day (not on the days we bike) with lots of free running to keep their endurance levels up.

Sounds like your dog will have no problems with the distance if you both jog together regularly. Good luck and let us know how you go :p

Thanks for the advice wolfgirl. I've just come down with a flu/sore throat so that stuffs my run training for a few days! And my running partner (who was also going to enter her dog) is having second thoughts, so I may not be ready in 6 weeks after all. I'll see how the next couple of weeks go before I commit.

Congrats to the new ET'ers! Awesome stuff. Ours is next Saturday, I hope the weather is as lovely as this weekend.

I wont be able to make it :laugh: Have to go to work early and start helping with the upcoming toy sale.

Good luck all though im sure you and Benson will breeze through it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm contemplating entering Sarge in the ET in September but I need to find a place I can train him while I'm on the bike. All we have nearby is paths on roads, no cycle tracks or anything.

Hi everyone - hoping to pick the brains of NSW ET experts!

I was going to enter Canberra but it wasn't held this year so I'm thinking of entering Sydney on 9 August. Do I just do a normal entry form and then submit the vet report later to the same address? Is there a format for the report I need to give the vet?

Also, is the obedience segment just a bit of heeling and a recall before and after the gaiting? The rules say "on and off lead", does this mean offlead heeling? I notice the rules say you can't correct, can you use motivators (like food and toys)?

TIA :cooldance:

Done and dusted. My boy is now to be known as Hevnsent Darktown Strutter ET. It was an awesome ride, we had a fabulous time and he was the best boy in the world. I am very proud of him!

was going to enter Canberra but it wasn't held this year so I'm thinking of entering Sydney on 9 August. Do I just do a normal entry form and then submit the vet report later to the same address? Is there a format for the report I need to give the vet?

I used the same form I use for obedience trials. I sent it off with a self addressed envelope, the secretary sent back the vet certificate which we had completed last week, then we took it with us today and gave it to the vet during the pre-trial check.

Done and dusted. My boy is now to be known as Hevnsent Darktown Strutter ET. It was an awesome ride, we had a fabulous time and he was the best boy in the world. I am very proud of him!

Congratulatons :cooldance:

I'm contemplating entering Sarge in the ET in September but I need to find a place I can train him while I'm on the bike. All we have nearby is paths on roads, no cycle tracks or anything.

Most of the pathways in WA are now duel use path/cycleways perhaps your local council can advise you of cycleways in your area. They may even be able to advise of a nearby park with a suitable path/cycleway to use. I trained my girl for her ET using the local path/cycleways alongside the road the only pain was having to stop to cross roads and the amount of broken glass we came across on the paths. A few years back I got a booklet that showed cyclepaths in Perth but can't remember if I got it from the local council or a "Life be in It" promotion.

Might catch you at the next ET Mim as I may be helping my sister ET title her dogs then. We are trying to drum up a few friends to do their dogs at the same time so that we can support each other. After titling my girl last month I can assure you it's a lot easier than it first sounds as I am normally a real couch potato( well as much as my very active girl will let me be). It was this thread that gave me the incentive to give it a go although I wasn't game to say beforehand in case I was too unfit to handle it. :laugh:

Well I might just need my head read but I've entered the Sydney ET on the 9th of August. Not so concerned about the ET itself but its the day after I am running two dogs all day in a flyball competition. Might be needing the monday off I think. It won't bother my Kelpie, nothing slows her down.

Who else is doing the Sydney ET?

Jo