Et Were Doin It !

SwaY

A friend that did it with us had a Dobe bitch who had weaned pups not all that long before the trial (can't remember exactly how long) and she did it with ease. I envy you guys, you will all love it. I used a normal entry form when I did mine, but it was a few years ago now.

Oh and I think we were told our dog had to be on a 1.8metre lead (6 Foot)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and I think we were told our dog had to be on a 1.8metre lead (6 Foot)

Hmmm, that's a fair bit longer than what I use. I prefer 1.2 metre leads so I'll have to invest in something longer. Do you have to leave it at the full length for the ET? I fold up the lead and just give Benson enough to move out a short way from the bike, otherwise it gets tangled around the pedals.

Wow, this is such a good idea! I'd love to do this with Tucker but I don't know if his stocky little legs could handle it... I might give it a go. :) So it's 40km if you're riding, but 20 if you're jogging? Jogging for 20km?! *dies*

We have a lovely oval right near the house that I can use.. hmm... I wouldn't want to enter a comp or anything though :D (and I don't think he could, being a crossbreed)

I sent my entry off as a motivation tool :)

Sway and I are doing the Dallie club one on June 6th. I just used an ordinary entry form.

Fern has basically weaned the pups so we can start next week, or this week if I get my bike out of the shed.

Yes, that is the one I wanted to do but it's the same date as our specialty, anyway I found the end of June one with the GSD club and it's local so :D

The rules I have read state a 2metre lead..... no mention of how long it actually has to be kept though.

One potential problem I can see for us though is Caber's pads, they aren't the thickest :D Is there anything I can do to help them toughen up?

Koemi- it's 20k whether you ride or jog, the actual event is 8 k thena 15 minute rest/vet check then 6k and another 15 minute rest/check and then the final 6k. It's approximately 10km an hour that you are travelling so really it's quite slow. Most healthy and fit dogs should be able to do it with ease I would imagine. You can enter crossbreeds as far as I am aware but they must be registered with your state's canine council (Dogs Victoria etc) as an associate.

I'm really looking forward to it, the training (although informal) has been fun so far, just can't wait to see how Cabe takes to a bike LOL. Caber's dad did it last year with ease so we've got to keep the family tradition going!

SP, I'd say just running Caber on concrete would thicken them up. Regardless, in our training, Clover's haven't gotten sore at all and we're mostly on concrete as we go. The worst incident was when I clipped her nails the night before, and we had a massacre on our run home!

One potential problem I can see for us though is Caber's pads, they aren't the thickest Is there anything I can do to help them toughen up?

Train him on different surfaces. We're training on dead grass, concrete and asphalt at the moment, and have also done some on a gravel rail trail.

The rules I have read state a 2metre lead..... no mention of how long it actually has to be kept though.

2) The leash must be long enough (approximately 2 metres) and held in either hand so that the dog may adjust itself to the cyclist or runner. The dog shall gait on one leash on the left hand side of the handler or bicycle.

what kind of surface/area do the ET usually run on? Flat surface (easy riding) or cross country (lazy person;s nightmare) hehe

it's s mixture of hard, grass and dirt, usually fairly flat but still hard work, particularly if the dirt/grass has turned to a mud heap :mad

I think the length of lead is suggested so that if the dog wishes to stay near the rear tyre it can and not be getting dragged along. The lead only neads to have a small loop so it is easy to see that you are not pulling your dog along. I had a bit folded up under my hand. We didn't have bitumen available to train on, most of ours was gravel and gravel & sand. None of our dogs had pad problems. I think if you only trained on a soft surface then you might have a problem. But if you are going over concrete, bitumen, dirt with stones you will be fine.

Thanks guys :rofl: I will ensure I am more particular about our walking surfaces when we train... usually walk him on the footpath to the park and then do a few laps of that. There is a dirt track there which i can put him on. His pads aren't bad but he's a small dog so he doesn't really put alot of weight onto them, unlike my previous dogs who had quite tough pads due to their body weight ( I assume, 30kg and 70kg).

Notice that I'm not training for it.......it's called being a piker :cry:

Maybe next year when Zig is 3 and my back is up to it :rofl: I've been told that the hardest thing is that the pace is too slow for breeds that extend out.

Suck it up Spotty and take the plunge.. if a Mini P can do an ET, it should be a cake walk for a Dally. Just make sure you practice at the right pace and a Dal should be able to wander along OK.

Here's Darcy having a nice outing.. for 20km.

DarcyET2.jpg