Et Were Doin It !

SwaY

I'm hanging out PF :rofl: My physios have forbidden me from running/cycling (loooooong term back injury) - I would be in a crumpled heap for a month probably :cheer:

Zig wouldn't run with anyone else either - he's such a sook :cry: He'll eat it up, though, and hopefully I will too! Hmmm....can you suck it up and eat it up at the same time??????? :cool:

ETA: Would Darcy like a Vic holiday - he is a cutie :(

Edited by The Spotted Devil

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your dog needs a genral health certificate with resting heart rate and temp, done by a vet, I think it was in the two weeks prior to the event and also to check for general fitness i.e no overweight obviously unfit dogs and not sore or lame dogs.

My Dobe did it easily, It took only a short time to get her used to the pace then she just cruised along, I think she was asleep half the time. SHe liked to move out, but settled into the routine quite quickly

Love the picture of the M.Poodle and Whippet. Maybe we can do it in a year or two, except the one 400kms from us is no longer so it would be a 1500km round trip for me :laugh:

I'm hanging out PF :laugh: My physios have forbidden me from running/cycling (loooooong term back injury) - I would be in a crumpled heap for a month probably :D

good excuse!

:scared:

Get a cyclist to do the enduro and handle the obedience yourself.. that's what I did. I wanted Darcy to survive it. I'd have run him over. :love:

I'm hanging out PF :laugh: My physios have forbidden me from running/cycling (loooooong term back injury) - I would be in a crumpled heap for a month probably :scared:

Zig wouldn't run with anyone else either - he's such a sook :D He'll eat it up, though, and hopefully I will too! Hmmm....can you suck it up and eat it up at the same time??????? :love:

ETA: Would Darcy like a Vic holiday - he is a cutie :rofl:

Darcy has Vic holidays.. we'll be back in Sale this October.

I think I might have to volunteer to help out at the Dally Club ET.....this could be a hoot :cheer:

yes you should come!

You can be my bucket bitch and take a pic as we cross the finish line :rofl:

A bucket bitch - going to look great on my resume :thumbsup:

ETA: Nice start Rebanne :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

don't know how I'm going to get her to stop pulling though, she thinks she's a husky with a harness on.

I've hit on this trick to teach Benson to stop pulling. We ride/run on a footpath which has a fence alongside of it (houses, laneway etc). I keep the bike fairly close to the fence with him between the bike and the fence. We go very slowly and whenever he starts pulling, I turn the front wheel slightly towards the fence. He doesn't have space enough to get through then, and has to stop pulling or run into the wheel.

After a couple of minutes, we stop when he's NOT pulling and he gets a treat. The whole time he's not pulling he gets lots of praise. As soon as he surges ahead, the bike wheel blocks his path and I say "DON'T PULL!!!!"

He is getting much better now.

Another trick is to wear the dog out with play, then go for a short ride. He won't pull if he's already tired and that's a good way to instill in him that he has to run alongside the bike. But don't go far too far. We often do this at the local school.....play frisbees for a while, then go for a ride around the oval.

Another trick is to wear the dog out with play, then go for a short ride. He won't pull if he's already tired and that's a good way to instill in him that he has to run alongside the bike. But don't go far too far. We often do this at the local school.....play frisbees for a while, then go for a ride around the oval.

It is a greyhound we are talking about :cheer: I tire her out with play, she's not going to run very far. And if I was to jam her between a fence and the bike and cut her off with the front wheel, Fern would never step out with me again. Those things would have worked with my GSD, they might have worked with my crossbreed, but they won't work with a greyhound, at least not mine.

I do run Fern on a walky dog and harness, the lead is loose to her collar. My plan is to remove the harness and walky dog a month or so out and her muscle memory and conditioning will hold her in the correct position, along with the words I am currently teaching her.

Better add another one to the list, i am also doing the same ET Test with a Springer Spaniel, got Riley going next to the bike in two goes, i am wrapped and he is not pulling either, must be something wrong with him :laugh::laugh::rofl:

The main problem is my butt and the bike seat, and yes i have a gel seat and bike pants too but it still hurts :rofl: why didnt it hurt when i was a kid :cheer:

Going to do some more tomorrow in the morning before it gets warm ( oh my butt)

I tire her out with play, she's not going to run very far. And if I was to jam her between a fence and the bike and cut her off with the front wheel,

I just "block" with the front wheel.....Benson has never been jammed, just blocked.

Hmmmmm....greyhounds are bred for speed not endurance, she'd be a whole different deal to train because you're going against hundreds of years of genetic coding. How is she on long, long walks?

I tire her out with play, she's not going to run very far. And if I was to jam her between a fence and the bike and cut her off with the front wheel,

I just "block" with the front wheel.....Benson has never been jammed, just blocked.

Hmmmmm....greyhounds are bred for speed not endurance, she'd be a whole different deal to train because you're going against hundreds of years of genetic coding. How is she on long, long walks?

That's why I am taking over 12 weeks to train her, got to build up those slow twitch muscles as opposed to the fast twitch ones. Fern won't be the 1st greyhound to get her ET title. There was one last year in Tas, one in Victoria about 4 years ago and I think there was one in Queensland but don't hold me to that.

Yes very different to training my other 2 dogs that I have titled, takes a bit more thought and planning.

ETA Fern was doing 6 k's with ease before motherhood interrupted our training

Edited by Rebanne

Ok lets start a list of who is doing it and where

SwaY - Great Dane / Smokey - Dally Club Saturday 6th JUNE 2009

Rebanne - Greyhound / Fern - Dally Club Saturday 6th JUNE 2009

Edited by SwaY