Ahhh The Joys Of Ud....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm I think LP used it prior to the drop in the COP :rofl: . LOL about going home in tears after a horrid training session - yep been there done that too haven't I Ptolomy :rofl: . They are the nights when she has had a thesis chapter equivalent of email to read as a post mortom.

Guest PixieOfWrath

I like this thread, Ness & LP are two of the main people I 'look up to' in terms of training and trialling, it makes me feel much better about the weekend knowing their dogs do rotten things to them too :rofl:

LOL @ the lot of you. You all know the dogs are just making sure we don't get too full of ourselves. :cheer: Mine went through a stage of doing something different wrong at every trial. Though I too nearly cried the day she decided to exit the ring back to the OH when we took the leads off for the stays. We retired then and there not one of us was having a good day.

I can't see either Ness or Leo not gaining their UD titles even if it does take a while. Of course if the handlers keep showing signs of cold feet who knows! :rofl:

I'm eyeing Southern in March for a final CCD pass and we all know what that means. It means Miss Koori will start getting inventive about what to "forget", either that or she'll poke the judge in the groin again. Now that was embarrassing only for me mind you Koori was totally impressed with herself. :rofl:

Guest PixieOfWrath

Actually maybe I'll ask here - if you are in the ring and on a halt, your dog doesn't sit, do you lose MORE points if you say "sit" to make them do it, than if you said nothing and left them standing there?

I'm enjoying this thread too, love chatting obedience screw ups, makes me feel more normal :rofl:

Hey watch out with the foldback drop - I know a certain cheeky BC who moves backwards by a long way - never thought that would be a problem.

Eek! So what is the best kind of drop to teach? Should there be different types for different exercises? If a dog just folds back on itself in the COP, is that considered too far backwards? Oh boy, so much to learn!

Nah RubyStar Kenzie just thinks the only way to do a drop from a sit is to shuffle backwards and then fold into a down :rofl: . I will say a certain little miss did get promoted into the top class at training last night after one class (not a trial club) but not to shabby considering I never train her :rofl: .

Wow thanks Pixie! What a compliment :cheer:

Unfortunately the dogs don't think so and we have failed often. Leo was going for 3 in 3 and his CDX title.... the dog next to us in UD was one we train with and he saw her charge out to the box.... just when the judge told me 'down' for the COP.... "No probs" I thought - so then promptly said "Leo" *insert considerable pause here* "Down"... Leo did so perfectly. Judge looked at me as though she was about to cry and said.... "exercise finished" I looked at her incrediously as I had NO IDEA what I had done wrong! Sooooo upset! From memory I think that was a 2nd place behind a top winning OC dog too :rofl:

RS - I had the same prob with Kinta - dropping backwards. However I found that as her understanding of heel position grew, she began to alter her drop to stay in heel... with a little help from me of course. She still does a lovely fold back for the novice COP though :rofl:

*sigh* One little mistake and it all goes pearshaped!

Ohh how heartbreaking, LP!! :rofl: I wouldn't have had a clue you can't use "name *pause* command" for the COP! I must remember that. I've never been shown how to do it, just watched people, so my hand signal is probably laughable!! Ness, if you watched my vid, feel free to comment on all my wrong doings :rofl:

If I re-teach Ruby's drop to fold backwards it should hopefully help our heeling drop too, as she tends to get in front of me for that and I wonder how many potential points we could lose for that...

RubyStar - will have to watch the video tonight when I am at home as my work computer doesn't like youtube. Think it tries to suggest I should work at the office :rofl: .

ETA. Yes you may use both a verbal and hand signal in COP down.

Edited by ness

Actually maybe I'll ask here - if you are in the ring and on a halt, your dog doesn't sit, do you lose MORE points if you say "sit" to make them do it, than if you said nothing and left them standing there?

I'd be interested in the answer to this, too :rofl:

Oh LP you poor thing. I did something very like that with my first dog it wasn't an official trial but I was 13 and I really did cry. I still get a flash every time I do SFE of myself saying stand and stay and then as my lovely boy looked up at me, Phantom. I have never mucked that up ever again. We would have had a 196 if I'd kept my mouth shut. Someone said to me after that, that trialling is character building. So imagine how much more character you'll have when Leo's got his UD. :rofl:

Oh and Ness judges seem to respond best to chocolate..... :rofl:

Pixie for what it's worth I would always say sit in that situation the points don't bother me and sometimes you only have to say it the first time. I would rather lose a qualifying score (and I have done) than have the dog repeat the wrong behaviour, but that's just me.

In answer to your question RubyStar I found in WA (not over sits but with drops), the judges half expected you to give a second drop command if the dog missed it whereas in SA is a big no no. I am not sure if thats the case with all judges or not but Ness missed the first drop under Amanda Bowan at the WA States back in 2006 and I said nothing. I think second time she missed again and the judge asked me if I wanted to give her another command to drop. I am not sure if thats exactly what happened as it was a while ago and testing my memory but something like that. We did just scrape through with enough points to pass that trial too :rofl: . First CDX pass. I know in SA its frowned upon if you give a second command in the ring.