Warrnambool (vic) Dolers

jerojath

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys, cross-posting this from FB with a couple of minor changes to avoid the spam spiders picking up the contact details:

From Melbourne Animal Rescue:

Transport needed for some kittens: From Hamilton (rural VIC) to Geelong (Melb would be great too but Geelong is workable!). Please either email melbournerescue @ gmail .com or TEXT Courtney on {I've removed number it will be on their facebook page} No rush for this to happen.

Just in case you know someone who could do the trip or coordinate to do part of it.

Hope everyone is enjoying this weather!!

Hi all,

Quick question - can anyone point me in the direction of the latest info on 1080 baiting around Killarney?

I usually find it pretty quick but it appears its not there (so no baiting this year :thumbsup: ) or it's well hidden :(

Mum is possibly going to take the girls to the beach for me tomorrow, but I haven't been to my usual spot for ages so have no idea what the bait status is around that area.

Thanks! :D

Hi all,

Quick question - can anyone point me in the direction of the latest info on 1080 baiting around Killarney?

I usually find it pretty quick but it appears its not there (so no baiting this year :thumbsup: ) or it's well hidden :(

Mum is possibly going to take the girls to the beach for me tomorrow, but I haven't been to my usual spot for ages so have no idea what the bait status is around that area.

Thanks! :D

Jess I can't find info either (although I've only had a quick look!)

but I was down Killarney main beach the other day and I didn't see any signage around indicating 1080 was in use.

There have been a number of big fox-culls of late in the area so maybe they haven't bothered baiting?

Hopefully they aren't baiting this year, I've been to Killarney main beach too, no signs anywhere that I can see. I haven't looked on the net but the people in charge of the baiting in that area if they do it is Parks Vic.

We normally get notification if they are baiting in the area and have t had any so far this year

And have also heard that there has been lots of fox shoots going on the last few months.

Lots of gun shots heard and been td that it was for fox shoots anyway.

Cheers Janet

We normally get notification if they are baiting in the area and have t had any so far this year

And have also heard that there has been lots of fox shoots going on the last few months.

Lots of gun shots heard and been td that it was for fox shoots anyway.

Cheers Janet

240 Fox were shot a couple of weeks ago over 4 nights in the Tower Hill/Killarney coastal area.

Thanks guys :D

Good to hear they may not be baiting - I thought they may have dropped it this year given the fox bounty. :thumbsup:

I don't go to Killarney main beach, getting too popular for me. Zee's had too many strange dogs rush her :mad so I avoid popular areas like the plague.

Hopefully the lack of baiting will mean everyone will spread out again :o

My friend goes along the road to pt fairy a bit further and apparently there is a great stretch of beach there somewhere near the golf course and she said it is always deserted, I haven't been there but it sounds great. The other day when we were east of the main beach there was a lady with a massive big boxer and I seen her in the distance so I popped Cooper on the lead (he doesn't rush other dogs but likes to say hello but I don't like him to unless it is an area where I know the other dogs) he likes to say hello. The other 3 don't go up to dogs they don't know.

Anyway we were walking by this lady with big dog and we kind of skirted around her as she looked like she was having trouble holding him, he wasn't aggressive but just wanted to be a typical bouncy boxer and come and say hi, which my lot don't really like especially my girls, anyway on closer inspection this woman did not even have a lead for said dog, she just had a hold of it by the collar and it was nearly pulling her over to get away from her. :eek: So we hurried past and she let the dog go and guess what up it came at 100 miles an hour, I know my guys are ok but I didn't know this other dog so we walked a bit faster I shooed it away and the owner called it back and all was good, it was no big deal but geez no lead how stupid are people these days, we do the right thing and so many idiots out there!!

On another note, I scooted past the new dog wash today (still not open) but it looks like it is another tru blu wash, so it will be the same as out caramut road. :thumbsup:

Edited by tlc

Doesn't surprise me tlc. I noticed towards the end of last summer that the beach I was going to was attracting a few people who had no interest in attempting to control their dogs, to the extent they were allowing them to hassle people on horseback. :eek: Of course it's always my fault for being an unreasonable bitch, not theirs that they can't/won't control their dog - no matter what the law/signs say :mad

Just really conscious that Zee gets very stressed out by dogs rushing her, worse still that it seems to bother her for a while afterwards as she has trouble settling whenever it happens. :(

That said I've also come across some really lovely and very considerate people down there, and it's still far better than places like the river mouth. Last Summer a friend and I walked from South of Tower Hill past Killarney beach and back and seen nearly no-one. Dogs were totally stuffed, was funny watching them get their second and then third wind :laugh:

Wow that would have been a long walk. There certainly are a lot that spoil it for the rest of us. I'm so particular with the horse riders, all mine go on leash, my younger ones wouldn't chase but Cooper would and did once at Albert park, the rider crept up behind us, we had no idea he was there and Cooper ( puppy at the time) got a fright and chased him and the horse rider went berserk and the horse rared up and the rider nearly fell off. He was from the race course on a race horse, he screamed at me that I was not allowed there (off leash dog park/pony club) and just generally abused me, but seems he was in the wrong also as racehorses are not allowed to run at Albert park, that's what they have a whole race course for! I rang the council to see what the go was. Anyway as a result, I am paranoid if we are somewhere there are horses, I usually avoid but if it is unavoidable all on leash, I leave nothing to chance!

Shits me how many people think they have the right to abuse people when they are doing the wrong thing themselves. I think it's part of the "busted" process - blame everyone else and hope to god someone is stupid enough to accept it. :confused:

Darcy grew up with my horses so she barely acknowledges them, Zee's taken her lead and does the same thankfully. I always call my two and keep them at my feet until they've gone past.

Was down the beach one day when a lady brought her horse onto the beach, beautiful big clydey cross who was very obviously feeling his Spring grass and lack of winter work. He seen the dogs at a distance and threw a hissy fit so she bailed off him and walked him up to me and asked if my dogs were okay with the horse and if I could continue throwing the ball into the water like I had been. She lunged him in a big circle closer and closer until there was only a few metres difference in the girls' ball fetching path and the horses lunge circle. Every time they were headed at each other he chucked another big hissy fit and bucked and carried on, after about 20 or 30 mins he finally started to get over it (glad I wasn't riding him!!).

She finally got on him and he was all fine, very hot and sweaty but a real sook - such a beautiful boy. We had a good chat and we've seen each other a few times down there now - I always recognise the horse because he's such a gorgeous boy :D

See now that's common sense, there is still some of it about. We were at the friendlys one day and a man was riding a horse other side of the fence and I didn't bother putting the dogs on their leads, the girls had a bit of a bark and I called them in and kept on walking and the guy yelled out to me we're they not familiar with horses, I said they hadn't been around horse sand he said bring em over, it was great as the fence was in between, the horse was so quiet and when we got to the fence the dogs just stood there looking in awe. :laugh: and really there was nothing to bark about the horse was calm so the dogs were too. It's good if we are at Albert park and there are horses now, if mine are on lead they don't even react, not game to try them off, I think the younger 3 would be ok, but. It's willing to try CJ. :laugh: He really wants to make a game of the chase!

I must say though his recall now compared to say 2 years ago is fantastic, another horse snuck up on us (not on purpose) but I just never seen it till. It was on top of us, the dogs were all lying under the shade of a tree, we all seen it at the same time, none of them moved, I just stood with baited breath thinking is he just going to ride by and they are going to just sit there??? Arghhh no such luck, :laugh: CJ jumps up and starts to run towards the horse, and with that I just ran the other way and called him and he spun strait around and came to me, phewwww the guy on the horse yells out well done. :laugh: I'd say hes been chased a few times in the past.

Sometimes I'm not sure if there is more or less common sense, but I have a saying that common sense is really not that common. :rofl: I believe that even more now that I work in retail.

Too true tlc - common sense, add some common courtesy and it's so much better for everyone. Sadly, like "common" sense, common courtesy isn't too common these days either. :eek:

So wonderful to hear some good stories :thumbsup: I met a lovely gentleman up the lake the other night, he was laughing at my dogs hanging out of the car waiting intently for their release cue. He wanted to know if they were any good at mustering him up some fish cos he wasn't catching any. :laugh:

:laugh: if they are anything like Cooper who is fish mad, stuck his head in a fishermans bucket one day and tried to steal a fish. :laugh:

Luckily he didn't get any cause I yelled and gave him a fright, :laugh: also lucky for us the fisherman seen the funny side. :rofl:

I've really made CJ sound like a naughty boy, he did have his moments in his earlier years, thankfully most of his antics we could laugh at. He really is a well mannered beautiful boy these days!