Dog Vomited 10+ Times... Could It Be Delayed Trauma? Extremely Worried

Hi all,

This evening my dog vomited up the entire contents of her stomach (i fed her around four hours ago) and then proceeded to vomit frothy bile 7 more times in the space of an hour. He's now hiding in his den looking very miserable, he was previously shaking and had his ears tucked behind his head.

Normally I would attribute this to just something he ate but the day before I had to get my dog's nails clipped which resulted in a lot of stress for him. He's a small breed who absolutely loathes the act, so I had to hold him tightly while he screamed and thrashed around.

I'm just concerned that perhaps he hurt himself somehow, or I may have bruised him or something, or even if it's just delayed stress from the experience??? This happened yesterday afternoon and he was fine last night and even during the day today - took him to the park and he played with the other dogs, ran around perfectly. He ate his dinner last night and his breakfast this morning perfect fine, walks fine and doesn't seem to have any pain when I press his spine or legs.

What do you think? Is there such a thing as delayed shock or vomiting due to delayed stress?

If you did wait (no emergency Vet? Even your normal Vet would often have an emergency contact number - whether it be their own or another), then I hope it was ok to. Taxi or perhaps if you have an emergency Vet they'll send a doggy ambulance (will cost you I think). I thought "bloat" too, as I read the symptoms you described. And bloat is not something you wait about on .... every minute counts.

How is your dog now?

Edited by Erny

I also hope your little one is OK today.

I doubt it would have been from the nail clipping. I have one who is not good with nail clipping either, the stress does not last that long or cause such a reaction.

I hope he's okay - it doesnt' sound like symptoms that should be waited on till morning.

Just out of interest, for those suggesting bloat, I thought that was non-productive vomiting or a bit of froth? This dog vomited the entire contents of her stomach and then vomited bile. How would this happen if the stomach was twisted and both entry and exit blocked? Bile is produced below the exit to the stomach. I'm usually relieved if my dog is retching and brings something up as I thought it meant that bloat wasn't possible. Have I misunderstood?

Hi all,

thanks for all the help! I ended up feeding him ice cubes and giving him some honey every two hours until the morning when i took him straight to the vet. he's fine! very chipper today and the vet said his temp is normal, stomach fine and he wasn't dehydrated so it was probably something he ate. he pooped just before and it was solid, very normal.

am 10000% relieved! this has definitely hit home how much i need to get my arse in gear and get my license soon.

Glad he's better .

Just as a reminder.. continued forceful vomiting like that is not a stress thing!!

Cutting a dog's nails would not cause such a violent reaction!!

may I also suggest that you get a groomer to do his nails- he will probably be much better behaved for them :thumbsup:

keep him on bland food for a day or so... and hopefully he won't eat whatever it was again! :D

I hope he's okay - it doesnt' sound like symptoms that should be waited on till morning.

Just out of interest, for those suggesting bloat, I thought that was non-productive vomiting or a bit of froth? This dog vomited the entire contents of her stomach and then vomited bile. How would this happen if the stomach was twisted and both entry and exit blocked? Bile is produced below the exit to the stomach. I'm usually relieved if my dog is retching and brings something up as I thought it meant that bloat wasn't possible. Have I misunderstood?

No you haven't misunderstood, as one of the main symptoms of bloat is that they "Attempt" to vomit and are usually unsuccessful and this can occur every 5-30 minutes. "Unsuccessful vomiting" means either nothing comes up or possibly just foam and/or mucous comes up. There are many other symptoms, but I am only responding to your query re vomiting.

No you haven't misunderstood, as one of the main symptoms of bloat is that they "Attempt" to vomit and are usually unsuccessful and this can occur every 5-30 minutes. "Unsuccessful vomiting" means either nothing comes up or possibly just foam and/or mucous comes up. There are many other symptoms, but I am only responding to your query re vomiting.

Hi Labsrule, out of curiosity what are the other symptoms of bloat? Is there always repeated attempted vomitting?

Hi Labsrule, out of curiosity what are the other symptoms of bloat? Is there always repeated attempted vomitting?

The attempted vomiting is the most common symptom, as well as restlessness and anxiety. They can look quite roachy in the back due to the stomach pain and the stomach will begin to look distended. Gums will also often be pale and its not uncommon for them to salivate a lot. Mostly what you'll also see will be symptoms of pain such as panting, whining, maybe looking at their abdomen, and struggling to find a comfortable position.

Check out this website it has a fair bit of detail on symptoms as well as causes of Bloat and yes as Stormie has stated, attempted vomiting is the most common symptom:

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm