How To Get Rid Of My Dog's Bad Breath? Or At Least Help?

Wing

My dog recently has developed this bad breath, I clean his teeth like once or twice a week. It helps a little but the stinky breath will be back soon enough. I understand the fact that their breath can be smelly, but its getting a little over and I am afraid it will become worse and worse because he is only 5 months old. It isn't the smelly part I can't stand, all I worry is whether he is developing a dental problem. Is there anything I should give him to chew on or eat to help this problem :laugh::):)

Hi-

at that age, he could well have a retained baby tooth which is decaying ... or a tooth not coming thru properly.

Does he get lots of chewy bones.. like chicken wings/lamb brisket bones?

These are able to be completely chewed up, and will help remove any stubborn teeth!

Does his breath smell sort of "meaty", a touch bloody? If so this is pretty normal in a teething puppy.

If it smells rotten and foul he's probably either got at retained tooth which is rotten or something stuck in his teeth.

Has he been wormed? A wormy pup generally has sour smelling breath.

I feed him dry food (Artemis), and I am planning to get him some bones to chew on as well but hasn't started yet because like you guys said, he is teething and I don't know whether should I give him now or after the teething is done. What sort of bones I should get him though?

Our pups start on bones at about 5 weeks :)

bones are ideal for teething pups, as, like I said.. they help remove loose teeth!!

I also mentioned chicken wings, and lamb brisket bones.

You could also use kangaroo tails, chicken frames, or oxtails... just remember, to NOT cut bones into smaller pieces! leave em as large as possible :laugh:

Our pups start on bones at about 5 weeks :)

bones are ideal for teething pups, as, like I said.. they help remove loose teeth!!

I also mentioned chicken wings, and lamb brisket bones.

You could also use kangaroo tails, chicken frames, or oxtails... just remember, to NOT cut bones into smaller pieces! leave em as large as possible :laugh:

Feed it to them all "raw" yea? Sorry I have never feed dogs with raw meal, I really have no idea how and what to feed him when it comes to raw...

RAW meat/bones are terrific for dogs.. and they usually LOVE them!!

Your pup will have a great time with raw chewy bones.

A tip...

after giving one to your pup... as he has never had them before.. do NOT try and take it away from him... just leave him outside or somewhere so he can enjoy it in peace.

As he has not ever had a bone before, he may be a bit posessive... so just leave him be.

I think stinky breath when puppies are teething is normal. My boy is 20 weeks old and has just started getting stinky breath over the last few weeks as his larger molars are coming through. We give him partly frozen to completely frozen bones daily (chicken wings/thighs/frames, lamb flaps/shanks) and they seem to help sooth his gums as well as keeping his teeth clean.

I think stinky breath when puppies are teething is normal. My boy is 20 weeks old and has just started getting stinky breath over the last few weeks as his larger molars are coming through. We give him partly frozen to completely frozen bones daily (chicken wings/thighs/frames, lamb flaps/shanks) and they seem to help sooth his gums as well as keeping his teeth clean.

so frozen bones are okay too.. that's great... thanks for that.. :p