Puppy Grooming

fudge

Any tips on puppy grooming?

I'm trying to get into a habit of brushing our new Cav puppy every night to get her used to being groomed.

She seems to think it's a lovely game of 'bite the brush' :hug:

At the moment our grooming session involves me trying to brush her and her chasing me trying to grab at the brush! Is this normal?

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone offer any suggestions to get her a little more settled when I brush her?

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone offer any suggestions to get her a little more settled when I brush her?

Have you tried giving her a pigs ear or something to chew on while you're brushing? Or treat her when she stays still for 5 seconds while brushing, then gradually increase the time.

My keeshond would constantly bite at the brush - he thought it was the best game ever! To stop him doing this I put a few things in place:

1. Patience!

2. Put him up on a grooming table (i.e. the dining table until I got the real deal!)

3. Spoke to him calmly when I groomed him

4. Did lots of clicker training with the brush, starting off with him letting me put the brush on him (no movement) to being able to do a full stroke then click & treat.

5. Changed my pin brush to something of much greater quality (went from a $20 brush to a $100 brush that was recommended to me by other keeshond owners). I realised that the brush I was using was scratching him and he hated it. As soon as I changed brushes he was like a different dog!!!!!!

6. Persistence! Eventually he just got used to it and now he's happy to be groomed. I suspect he may even enjoy it! :hug:

Dont bribe there is no need to too.

Firstly make sure the brushes are gentle.If there too harsh the dogs will react.

Brush your arm & if it hurts buy new ones.

Always brush on a table or raised area,place non slip mat to ensure pup is secure underfoot.

Place pup there & be confidient.Start brushing,if pup plays around & firm but fair "no or what ever your chosen no word is,again with no fuss start again.be precise,to the point , the more you make off it the more the pup has achance to take your for a ride.

Dont have a running conversation just use basic commands.

If you want to use help & you have a fairly helpful family member just ask them to hold the front whilst you brush but again make it low fuss & simple.Good puppy,brush brush & put on the ground.

Every night i would say is an overkill for brushing.If you want to i would suggest brushing twice a week & do other things on the table like checking between the toes,looking down ears,

Simply place puppy up there & make him stand for a short spell & finish. All these things teach pup that being on the table is okay BUT you must be in charge,Pup will respond to your reactions.If people are giggling it will react

Could you let me know the brand of the good quality pin brush please TerraNik?

I am looking to upgrade my brushes a few at a time and really appreciate recommendations from people who have used them.

I use Chris Christensen. They are absolutely fantastic!