Ticks

Faolmor

Just a quick question...

I pulled 6 :cheer: ticks off my dog tonight. No idea where he picked them up, but I hope it wasn't our backyard.

Anyway, should I get him a course of antibiotics, just to be on the safe side? Hear lots of horror stories about infections etc, and I wouldn't want to live with the "what-ifs" if something went wrong.

Experienced opinions, please.

Edited by Faolmor

Just a quick question...

I pulled 6 :cheer: ticks off my dog tonight. No idea where he picked them up, but I hope it wasn't our backyard.

Anyway, should I get him a course of antibiotics, just to be on the safe side? Hear lots of horror stories about infections etc, and I wouldn't want to live with the "what-ifs" if something went wrong.

Experienced opinions, please.

I don't know where you are situated, but on the east coast of NSW we are seeing a lot of brown ticks/cattle/ NZ bottle ticks on our cattle, dogs and cats this summer. They are harmless, they feed and then drop off. Just make sure they are not the Paralysis tick (different colour) in which case I,d treat and be very vigilant.

There is no need for antibiotics.

Just leave the craters alone and let nature take its course. Dont pick at them etc.

The only time we ever use ab is with paralysis tick cases who are retching/vomiting - and this is in order to prevent/treat the aspiration pneumonia they are more than likely going to obtain.

My vet swears by tick collars. They work so much better than flea collars. He said his dog was always picking up ticks in Bundaberg but once he started using the collar he had no more problems.

We have heaps of ticks here so we are going to invest in some guinea fowl, they love them.

Do not normally need antibiotics. Keep any wounds clean and dry. You can dab on some betadine or Iodine onto them if you wish.

It does not matter where the ticks were picked up.. You have them.

I would suggest putting the dogs on some course of tick preventative. Frontline Plus, Advantage or Proban tablets.

I live in paralysis tick area, and all mine are on Proban. More expensive, but more effective too. The top spots are not doing it as well here.

After having two dogs down the vets at the beginning of tick season on drips in two weeks due to paralysis and over $1000 poorer.. I dont take the risk.. twice daily checks.

The other day, I picked off about 50 baby ticks of the pup.. all the size of pin heads.. She was no worse for wear.. It did not help they killed a bandicoot the day before..

All native animals are natural hosts to ticks... Crows, magpies, kangaroos, possums, bandicoots, flying foxes.. If you have those, there is a good chance you have ticks.