Suprelorin

neatz

Cynthia,

What is "tardac"? I have had some issues with desexing lately - I have never desexed my animals before, just practised good kenneling.

The 18 month old I had desexed just before Xmas, has just climbed 2 fences and achieved a 10 minute tie with one of my 'on-season' bitches :( And he is still humping the cat!!

And the cat, I had desexed last year, is still coming 'on-season' and calling and the stray tomcat still keeps visiting and weeing on everything during the night. My cat has always been locked up from dusk-to-dawn. :laugh:

It's not your desexed female cat that is the problem - you need to desex the tom!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over 5 years, I have never even seen the Tom. I hear him, I get up with the torch, I sneak around in the dark and still have not been able to catch a glimpse of him. He doesn't belong to any of my neighbours - small acreages - so probably a true 'feral'. No hope of catching him!!! I've thought about hiring a cat-trap, but so far that's all I've done....thought about it! I also thought my problems would be over if I desexed the cat as she is no longer being shown.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, everyone seems to have had positive experiences with suprelorin, has anyone had any negatives? General comment is that it has a calming effect on the dogs. and alot less marking!! Does it knock them for a 6? Do they still have the same drive to fetch or run? Do they still like smooching? or could they not be bothered? Any advice here would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Somebody I know put the 12 month implant into her 2 1/2 year old boy in May last year. Last week the dog tied with her bitch - so the bitch will be taken for an ultrasound at 28 days to see if she is pregnant or not.

Emailed the makers of Suprelorin who said its impossible for her to be pregnant - I guess 2 1/2 more weeks and we will know for sure.

Another obedience trialler had a 6 month implant put in 15th March last year for the first time - in the last week - the dogs hormones have come racing back - almost 12 months to the day. She is off to put another one in :rolleyes:

Edited by Ptolomy

Hi there, everyone seems to have had positive experiences with suprelorin, has anyone had any negatives? General comment is that it has a calming effect on the dogs. and alot less marking!! Does it knock them for a 6? Do they still have the same drive to fetch or run? Do they still like smooching? or could they not be bothered? Any advice here would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

It shouldn't affect any other behaviours apart from those that are governed by the testosterone hormone. (ie sexual drive) It is basically a chemical castration.

I haven't implanted my boys yet but sounds like in most cases the outcome of behaviour modification is good.

Chocolate why do you want to use it in a bitch?

Somebody I know put the 12 month implant into her 2 1/2 year old boy in May last year. Last week the dog tied with her bitch - so the bitch will be taken for an ultrasound at 28 days to see if she is pregnant or not.

Emailed the makers of Suprelorin who said its impossible for her to be pregnant - I guess 2 1/2 more weeks and we will know for sure.

Another obedience trialler had a 6 month implant put in 15th March last year for the first time - in the last week - the dogs hormones have come racing back - almost 12 months to the day. She is off to put another one in ;)

" Suprelorin technology uses a powerful agonist of gonadotrophin releasing hormone (GnRH) which is released slowly to shut down the release of the pituitary gonadotrophins, resulting in infertility. For male animals, testosterone is reduced to negligible levels."

Like human contraceptive there is always going to be a .01% of animals that will probably fall pregnant :rolleyes:

I also thought my problems would be over if I desexed the cat as she is no longer being shown.

It's possible your cat was not desexed entirely, ie some ovary tissue may have been left behind by accident. I have seen it before, a supposedly desexed female cat coming on heat, calling for a male etc. She was opened up again and the vets discovered a small amount of tissue which had been left behind.

• 2 years later...

I used it with Rover because he was much too old to be desexed when I adopted him (nearly 17) because he was obsessed with Tilly and just wouldn't leave her alone. Didn't make an iota of difference and we even added tardac to the mix :D .

first of all, can I just say you are an amazing person for adopting such an old dog? That is truly incredible - so many people wouldnt do that. good for you! :)

It's deslorilin, a GnRH agonist. Basically blocks sex hormone production. Like temporary castration, as it wears off in 6 months or so.

I used it once, will do so again, and would recommend it. Have heard that the company was considering licensing it for bitches as well as dogs, but nothing came of it. Unfortunately it's no longer available over here for either sex.

It's deslorilin, a GnRH agonist. Basically blocks sex hormone production. Like temporary castration, as it wears off in 6 months or so.

I used it once, will do so again, and would recommend it. Have heard that the company was considering licensing it for bitches as well as dogs, but nothing came of it. Unfortunately it's no longer available over here for either sex.

oh wow! I never knew something like that existed!

Do people use it on desexed dogs as well? (Im not planning on using it as no need for it - but am simply curious)

Do people use it on desexed dogs as well? (Im not planning on using it as no need for it - but am simply curious)

Nope, not to my knowledge. What would you want to use it in a desexed dog for?

It's used in horses in the states though, I believe.

My bitch currently has an implant.

I needed her NOT to be in season in the middle of June.

She was showing all the signs but not quite coming in. She came in 4 days after getting the implant so it was the perfect solution for us.

Apparently it is safer than the "stop the season" injection.

She will be infertile for 6 months.

Well I don't know :o thats why I asked :p

Well I don't know :o thats why I asked :p

:laugh:

Has anyone used Suprelorin in females yet?

Apparantly the company that created Suprelorin is currently researching a female version. We will have to wait for that one.

The current Superlorin that is used on the boys is also used on the girls. I have a bitch with it in at the moment and the 12 month implant stops them coming in season for up to 22 months.

Lewis has it at the moment, it was a long hard decision to make but in the end it came down to needing it to control a medical issue.

He got it in August and I am hoping like hell it does not last 2 years as I only found that out AFTER I got it done and if I had of known would only have gone for the 6 month one. It is rather stressing me out actually. Even thought about getting any of the implant that was left surgically removed!

He will attempt to mate an in season bitch, doesn't tend to be as interested pre-season as he was, but on the day she was standing yep, he was onto it in a flash.

Musculature wise I don't see any changes, he was mature when implanted

His testicles are around a third of what they were, and I have had one judge not like them in them show ring, but I knew that was a potential risk, the judge the next day didn't care.

I did not use it for behavior managment as he normally does not have any behaviour that requires modification so in that respect he is the same as normal