Suprelorin

neatz

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: My GSD had the implant at 10 months of age to see if it helped with his dominance problems. It made such a positive difference that I had him surgically desexed last month. Edited by Kynan

I was told by people on DOL that it is not allowed in the show ring.

But as a pet, it looks pretty good.

There is no ruling that says you can not use it and show your dog.

Most show people think it should not be allowed.

We follow the COE untill it's written into that, you are free to use it and show your dog.

Yep,got it for my Wolfie,was becoming quite dominant over the others,took a couple of months but definately works.

Just had it done again before xmas.It's supposed to last 12 months,but noticed the bad behaviour coming back.

Vet said it might might not last full 12 months cos of his size,but it did last for 10 months.

If using it on a show dog just be careful, the testicles shrink so a lot of judges look at that as a fault then.

It's not a fault.

Many a dog has small testicles, as long as the testes have dropped that is what is considered 'normal'.

Edited by sas

If using it on a show dog just be careful, the testicles shrink so a lot of judges look at that as a fault then.

It's not a fault.

Many a dog has small testicles, as long as the testes have dropped that is what is considered 'normal'.

I know its not a fault, but I have seen a few judges have issues with the size when they are very small.

I have both my boys done

Has stopped them marking everything and even though my female was in season both boys ignored her and were not insane, crazy idiots

:D :noidea:

Yes this is what I'm trying to avoid.

As far as I know (or have been told by vet), it actually works for 6 months but can last up to 12 months in some cases.

How would anyone at shows know if you had it implanted (apart from shrunken testicles which in my view is an added bonus)?

Has anyone noticed loss of muscle mass or body condition at all?

Edited by neatz

Depending on what age they are it can inhibit development - muscle mass, even how they fill out

12 month implant can last a LOT longer than just the 12 months - if you are wanting to breed with your dog allow at lot longer for semen recovery (same as 6 month lasting 12 months i suppose)

They know they are implanted when they ask you why the dogs testicles are so small, and by small I mean miniscule not to be to gross but the testicles can just look like a bit of loose skin.

Cynthia,

What is "tardac"? I have had some issues with desexing lately - I have never desexed my animals before, just practised good kenneling.

The 18 month old I had desexed just before Xmas, has just climbed 2 fences and achieved a 10 minute tie with one of my 'on-season' bitches :laugh: And he is still humping the cat!!

And the cat, I had desexed last year, is still coming 'on-season' and calling and the stray tomcat still keeps visiting and weeing on everything during the night. My cat has always been locked up from dusk-to-dawn. :thumbsup:

I have both my boys done

Has stopped them marking everything and even though my female was in season both boys ignored her and were not insane, crazy idiots

:thumbsup::laugh:

Yes this is what I'm trying to avoid.

As far as I know (or have been told by vet), it actually works for 6 months but can last up to 12 months in some cases.

How would anyone at shows know if you had it implanted (apart from shrunken testicles which in my view is an added bonus)?

Has anyone noticed loss of muscle mass or body condition at all?

I have a 6 month one in the Min Pin and a 12 month in the Malamute, you have a choice which one you want

Never had anyone ask at a show why he has smaller testicles, they are still there and have certainly not shrunken up to nothing on either dog

Neither of mine have had a loss of muscle mass or body condition

Cynthia,

What is "tardac"? I have had some issues with desexing lately - I have never desexed my animals before, just practised good kenneling.

It is a short term injection given to entire dogs around females coming into season. I'm sure more experienced people will be able to give you better information, but from memory lasts about 3 weeks.

I find that even desexed dogs will "mate" with females except they are firing blanks. Danny is about 9 years of age and he still humps cushions and bedding and I can assure you it is the real McCoy :thumbsup: .

My original dog, a Maltese, was desexed at 10 months still "mated" with his mother if we visited when she was on heat.

I have both my boys done

I agree, no interest in my girl for over 12 months with the 12 month implant.

He is a Stafford just to give you an idea on size.

Also his testicles did shrink, but were still obviously there.