Teenage Time - Help!

poochmad

Henschke is 8.5 months old and oh my goodness. He is doing things that he hasn't done since he was a baby puppy and it's driving us insane!

Help please!

The biggest problem at the moment is at night time. He sleeps in our room in a crate...when the alarm goes off, he is allowed on the bed with us for a sleep and a cuddle.

Lately, he has been whining periodically throughout the night (as it's dark when he gets up with us), but then would go to sleep after a little while. (We ignore him.) Last night, he woke at 12am and kept whining and scratching the crate until the alarm went off at 5.10am!!! Poor hubby didn't get an ounce of sleep; I just ignored him and slept under the covers.

Any suggestions on how to get through this? I was thinking about not allowing him on the bed at all until he's past this phase...or spraying him with water when he cries or telling him off. Thoughts/suggestions?

Today when we left him he howled. He hasn't done that since he was a puppy either. We waited a moment and he stopped. Obviously we're concerned that he will keep it up and if he does the only option we have is to get a citronella collar as we have painful neighbours and I'm sure they will complain if he continues to bark/howl.

Honestly, it's like we have a different dog. :cool:

Any suggestions, advice, help, opinion, experience most welcome.

Edited by poochmad

A thought.... there isn't a bitch in season anywhere near, is there?

he may not know WHY.. but the scent may be a disturbance to him...

Is he comfortable? No pain ?

Has anything changed over the past little while?

Guests/different work hours/new neighbours....cats roaming...

A thought.... there isn't a bitch in season anywhere near, is there?

he may not know WHY.. but the scent may be a disturbance to him...

Is he comfortable? No pain ?

Has anything changed over the past little while?

Guests/different work hours/new neighbours....cats roaming...

Not sure if there's any bitches on heat nearby...certainly not in our house...

He seems to be fine physically.

The only thing that did change was that during summer he got really hot and when he woke up and cried, I'd take him outside for a huge drink, toilet and then back to bed. He did this a couple of times a night. When it got cooler recently, he was sleeping through the night. It's just been the last 2 nights he's been doing it...last night was the worse and then this morning he cried for the first time when we walked out the door.

Do you think the summer change might have been an issue? Before this, he slept throughout the night and didn't wake up until the alarm went off.

If it's only been a couple of nights, are you sure he didn't have to go to the toilet or something? My guys are really good in their crates, I generally ignore unusual behaviour at my peril - usually means they have an upset tummy and if I don't realise and let them out - a lovely mess to clean in the morning!

My first thought would be to treat him how you would have when he did those things as a little puppy.. as for the cry for hours last night, I would have taken him outside to toilet, brought him back in, and if he didn't stop crying, move him into a different room where you couldn't hear him.

Go back to basic training, show him consistency is the key and you aren't going to change to rules now

Yea, agree with Kelpie pup I'ld go with the back to basics too. Both mine reverted back to piddling inside in their adolescence so I would take him outside for a toilet break just in case.

With the whining - my male reverted to a full blown banshee wail so I understand completely. You really need to give him something to distract him when you leave. I do one of the following to get out of the house:

- a little bone,

- a treat bottle - water bottle with holes cut in it and kibble inside that they push around to get the kibble out.

- the 'puppy treasure hunt' (their favourite). I just hide kibble and bits of treats around either the house or the yard (depending on the weather). In the yard you can also just throw some kibble around the lawn and but hide the treats. I shut them inside if the hunt is outside and vv until I hide the treats otherwise they are really good at remembering where I put them, and then give them a "go" when the hunt is on and they are more than content to forage.

Mine now actually look forward to when I leave!

Remember dogs sleep most of the day so you only need to distract him while you leave.

Thankfully puppy adolesence only lasts about 9mths instead of 9years!

If it's only been a couple of nights, are you sure he didn't have to go to the toilet or something? My guys are really good in their crates, I generally ignore unusual behaviour at my peril - usually means they have an upset tummy and if I don't realise and let them out - a lovely mess to clean in the morning!
My first thought would be to treat him how you would have when he did those things as a little puppy.. as for the cry for hours last night, I would have taken him outside to toilet, brought him back in, and if he didn't stop crying, move him into a different room where you couldn't hear him.

Go back to basic training, show him consistency is the key and you aren't going to change to rules now

Good points - if he whinges again, I will let him out for a wee and then put him straight back. Definitely agree on the consistency.

Yea, agree with Kelpie pup I'ld go with the back to basics too. Both mine reverted back to piddling inside in their adolescence so I would take him outside for a toilet break just in case.

With the whining - my male reverted to a full blown banshee wail so I understand completely. You really need to give him something to distract him when you leave. I do one of the following to get out of the house:

- a little bone,

- a treat bottle - water bottle with holes cut in it and kibble inside that they push around to get the kibble out.

- the 'puppy treasure hunt' (their favourite). I just hide kibble and bits of treats around either the house or the yard (depending on the weather). In the yard you can also just throw some kibble around the lawn and but hide the treats. I shut them inside if the hunt is outside and vv until I hide the treats otherwise they are really good at remembering where I put them, and then give them a "go" when the hunt is on and they are more than content to forage.

Mine now actually look forward to when I leave!

Remember dogs sleep most of the day so you only need to distract him while you leave.

Thankfully puppy adolesence only lasts about 9mths instead of 9years!

We give him chicken stuffed in a kong and he has beef hides to chew on while we're away. This weekend we're going to buy some sand to put in his clam shell and will hide treats there instead.

Will definitely do the 'treasure hunt' idea - at least to get him outside the house (he seems to spend most of his time inside), so he can use his mind while we're not around. Good, good, idea. :confused:

If it helps at all Mistral was an absolute nightmare at that age, he is almost 12 months now and is finally settling down again.

We just stuck to his usual routine, didnt give in to his demands and he soon got over it.

Good luck with him :thumbsup:

Yesterday our neighbour told us that Henschke's been barking for 3-4 hours straight everyday for the past week! :thumbsup:

(I wish they had told us after the first day so we could have fixed the problem.)

So to counteract this, we are doing the following:

• Not allowing him on the bed in the morning. If he cries during the night, I take him straight outside for relief and then straight back to his crate he goes.
  • Ignoring him in the morning. (Before we were lavishing him with attention and I think that was causing him stress.)
  • Doing what Caro does - hiding food around the house and yard. Giving him special treats, more kong like toys and putting them outside.

Last night we played the treasure hunt thing and he caught on very quickly. This morning he was a lot calmer in behaviour and I think it was because we didn't molly coddle him or allow him on the bed. Perhaps that might be part of the problem too? He may have been confused with his placement in the pack and maybe that might also be why he's been acting up?

So we will follow this routine for the next two weeks (it will be hard, because I love my boy) and we will see how that goes...I'm sure the neighbour/s will tell us if it's not working and the next thing I guess we'd have to do is put a citronella on.

(it will be hard, because I love my boy)

If you love HIM, and not the feelings you get when playing with him...

it should be a pleasure- as you are setting him up to be comfortable and content!!!

:swear:

I agree with Persephone :)

You are now doing the best thing for him! He knows where he stands, which is the most important thing :cool:

You're right-he was probably being confused by being let up on the bed etc and fussing over him in the morning wouldn't have been helping with the leaving situation.

So glad you sorted out what will work for you!

Keep us updated :rofl:

(it will be hard, because I love my boy)

If you love HIM, and not the feelings you get when playing with him...

it should be a pleasure- as you are setting him up to be comfortable and content!!!

:swear:

Agree 100 percent. As I said to hubby, the problem we created was that WE were the most exciting thing around and WE were his entertainment. Now we have recognised that, we know that this is the best thing for him (and for our neighbours) so he's a lot more comfortable being on his own.

My puppy has the same problem just happening earlier than you are. My boy is 5 almost 6 months old, he has been doing great all the while until 2 weeks ago.. he started pooing at one of the spot where he is not suppose to be doing it.. i tried scolding him afterwards (he usually do it while im away)... and lock him in the room.. but i realized he might not know what is the punishment so i didn't actually locked him up for long... i tried spreading something on the spot where he poo called "liquid ate" or something.. recommended by one of the pet shop near my place, but it doesn't work like she said.. (DAMN!) so now i just fence of that part of my place so he got no access to that spot... and reward him whenever i found him poo in the right place where i want him to do it... like you guys said.. back to basic.. any other suggestion at all??

As I was reading through, my thoughts were trained on the fact that your routine was "alarm; let pup out of crate and on to the bed". I was going to post to suggest you change the routine, but reading further, I see you've already caught onto that notion. :rofl:

By letting your pup out of the crate and then giving something as what is likely to be considered a big reward leads to 'anticipation'. The pup of course gets eager for that and wants that big reward sooner and sooner.

Same deal with breakfast.

So letting your pup out of the crate and simply taking him out to the toilet (doing the usual recommended toileting regime) and then a gap between things such as breakfast will help train him that getting out of the crate isn't necessarily more rewarding than staying there for a while longer, simply because he's not expecting anything.

IMO things such as getting on the bed etc. shouldn't be a matter of routine and is best kept to a random schedule. Have days where it doesn't occur at all and when it does, it occurs at different times and ONLY with your chosen "up" command. Make sure you also have an "off" command too and you should teach him that the latter must be observed no matter what.

As I was reading through, my thoughts were trained on the fact that your routine was "alarm; let pup out of crate and on to the bed". I was going to post to suggest you change the routine, but reading further, I see you've already caught onto that notion. :laugh:

By letting your pup out of the crate and then giving something as what is likely to be considered a big reward leads to 'anticipation'. The pup of course gets eager for that and wants that big reward sooner and sooner.

Same deal with breakfast.

So letting your pup out of the crate and simply taking him out to the toilet (doing the usual recommended toileting regime) and then a gap between things such as breakfast will help train him that getting out of the crate isn't necessarily more rewarding than staying there for a while longer, simply because he's not expecting anything.

IMO things such as getting on the bed etc. shouldn't be a matter of routine and is best kept to a random schedule. Have days where it doesn't occur at all and when it does, it occurs at different times and ONLY with your chosen "up" command. Make sure you also have an "off" command too and you should teach him that the latter must be observed no matter what.

Thanks for taking the time to post, Erny. I always enjoy reading what you write. :D

We have been following the new routine for the past week and there is already a marked difference in his behaviour, especially in the morning - no acting excited (mouthing, running around, etc) he is extremely calm. We can now walk out of the house without him going off like a banshee since we practically ignore him and have given him exciting things inside and outside the house. (He loves his sand pit.)

We're still having trouble with him waking up at least twice in the night. The first time, I will take him out and he usually has a long drink and a pit stop, before taking him back to bed. If he wakes a second time, I now tell him 'NO' and he will settle back down to sleep.

I'm hoping that with time he will go back to sleeping through the night...his waking up in the middle of the night won't develop into a habit will it?

If he doesnt catch on that he is not getting cuddles in the morning, s quick squirt of water will do the trick.

Hunta can go through stages of whiniing at night. Doesnt need a toilet break, doesnt need a drink is generally thinking she needs ont eh bed and she is not allowed on their unless we are awake and it is not regularly.

Maybe once a month or so.

So instead of me being disturbed for hours, a quick squirt and she is quiet.

(i only resort to this when i have made sure she does not need a loo break and is physically ok)

If he doesnt catch on that he is not getting cuddles in the morning, s quick squirt of water will do the trick.

Hunta can go through stages of whiniing at night. Doesnt need a toilet break, doesnt need a drink is generally thinking she needs ont eh bed and she is not allowed on their unless we are awake and it is not regularly.

Maybe once a month or so.

So instead of me being disturbed for hours, a quick squirt and she is quiet.

(i only resort to this when i have made sure she does not need a loo break and is physically ok)

Thanks for your response. I've decided to put him on the lead when he wakes up for his 'toilet break' as he is now being really naughty and wanting to play when he goes outside. Which of course at midnight is really annoying when you've gotten up and they've done nothing! :) I want him to learn that there is nothing exciting happening when he goes outside, so we will see how he goes with this.

I just don't want him waking up every night as a habit. When he was younger he slept through.

Edited by poochmad

Hi all. Thanks for your replies. So we're now putting buggerlugs on the lead to take him outside for a wee and a drink (whichever is needed) as a way to limit his 'excitement' of doing what he wants and to also give us greater control over getting him back in the house when he's done his business.

My question now is:

How long can we expect him to continue to wake up during the night - is this a 'teenage' thing and we just need to remain consistent so he learns that nothing is exciting if he wakes up (i.e. he is kept on a lead at all times and taken back to his crate after) or will this be a 'forever' thing now and we will always be woken up at night to take him out?

Before the heat wave, he slept through the night.

Just reading this Jake (6 years old and very much not a puppy) has been waking up in the night too these last couple of weeks. I actually put it down to the weather being so up and down and the humidity. His allergies have been playing up a bit as well. He usually goes to bed around 8.30 or 9.00 and doesn't stir until at least 5.30 or 6.00 am which is when we get up anyway.

Does Henschke suffer from itching or anything like that?

Interesting thread because Satch (4yo) was waking us up during the night last week. Previously he had NEVER woken us without reason, but last week he just kept doing it up to three times a night. He's gone back to sleeping through the night, but it's interesting that the last few weeks have been weird for a few people and their doggies.