Barf Diet For Broken Leg In Puppy

Sue

This morning my thirteen week old mini bull puppy was pushed off the couch by her older half sister and has suffered a spiral break to her back leg. :cool:

She is not in plaster but is on cage rest for two weeks. Vets are very hopeful that the fracture will heal well.

Pup is feed a BARF diet which is raw minced chicken necks, plus veggie patty which is 50% mince and 50% veggies, plus yoghurt, flax seed oil, kelp powder and a 500mg vit c pill per day. She also has "dinosaur bones" to chew on.

Should I add any other vitamins to ensure the fracture heals correctly?

Thanks in advance

Sorry to hear about your little BTM :confused: Pele, my BT broke the 4 bones in her front foot when she was 9 months old, she's now 4. Pele is fed a BARF diet. Not sure about the bone content of chicken necks and "dinosaur" bones are more recreational than nutrition. Chicken wings might have more calcium content than necks. With Pele I was still giving her puppy milk because she loved it and I was getting it super cheap through the Animal Welfare League where I volunteer, so she was getting more calcium from that and the Vet was happy with her diet :eek:

Poor little mite with 2 weeks cage rest :cry: Hope the time passes quickly for you both and she heals well.

Poor baby.

Adding extra calcium, ie supplements such as powder, should not be necessary if your pup is getting the right food.

How much puppy mince (mince chicken bones) is she being feed?

I probably would be making up meals of puppy mince 80% and then the rest, being 20%, of the veggies, extra meat and yoghurt.

At 16 weeks 10% of ther body weight should be fed daily over three meals. (Two of the being the puppy mince combo and one being a bone that she can fully eat)

Get her some lambs flaps, lambs chubs or other soft non weighbearing bones that she can have for one meal a day. The point of these bones is that they are fully consumed.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and help. She is a lot better today, after getting her some more painkillers and giving her Arnica regularly. She has even tried to hop inside a couple of times when I have carried her out to go to the toilet.

I added some lamb flaps to her diet and she amazed me by eating the bone and all. I will look into some other homeopathic remedies for bone healing.

Cheers

My Tex did this when he was a youngen too - he was jumping off a chair and twisted his leg somehow.

It seems to be more common than you would think!

Maybe add some Glusomanie to her food to help the bone heal well?