Obedience Trial Ring Craft - Tips

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see a lot of dogs fall apart on the figure of 8 so when I train it, I pull it apart and jackpot after the figure of 8 with a game of tug or what ever the dog loves.

Now between exercises I'm still undecided, I want the dog to know it is still working so it doesn't feel ripped off by no reward but I want it to have fun. I will most likely do fun things like hand touches and spins to get to the next set up.

If I can ever train my dog to do a SFE I could trial her and let you know. :thumbsup:

Thats cos her dogs are brilliant PAX :laugh: . She would win no matter how she was dressed. Some of us get caught up in the better wear what we always wear :thumbsup: and better trial with the set of articles she last did all 3 correctly on without mucking up :rofl: .

Maybe true but if you look nice and tidy you're dogs will work that way too. I hate it when people go into the Obedience ring looking like they are dressed to go training, I know it really doesn't matter but I still feel it's wrong. :rofl:

Hahaha - well I'll usually wear neat jeans and a reasonably respectable looking polo top but will wear my fleecy training jumper in winter or shorts in summer :thumbsup: . In fact I think most of my videos I'll be wearing just about the same out fit :rofl: . I won't wear trackie pants though save those for when we are running agility.

Oh and I did wear a neat rugby type jumper at the Royal rather than my daggy fleecy one :laugh: .

Edited by ness

Between exercises with my older girl I keep her focused on me. Will heel her between exercises or do tricks.

Not sure what I will do with the younger girl. She just loves to work so we will probably play as long as she can keep herself under control. If I find she is getting to wound up I might have to find something else.

... I will also confess to carrying around some tollar hair so that I could exactly match the colour pants I needed. That was before I had 5 dogs :laugh:

Am I the only one who would love to see a photo of toller coloured pants?! :(

Edited by squeak

... I will also confess to carrying around some tollar hair so that I could exactly match the colour pants I needed. That was before I had 5 dogs :laugh:

LOL - I will let you into a little secret - I actually have 2 pairs :cheers:

I would love to a see a photo of the toller coloured pants being worn next to a toller! Then we can be the judges of how coordinated this pair really looks :cheers:

Any tips for the figure 8 or between exercises?

Figure eights, I have found that looking at the

base of the pole you are going around works for me.

By focusing on that particular spot and not looking at the dog,

I seem to keep them in place much better. Since doing it this way

one of my dogs in particular is now doing some really nice F-o-8 work. :rolleyes:

In old days I was always looking at my dog, which was very detrimental

to his work as shoulders would be pushing him away. :laugh:

Thats cos her dogs are brilliant PAX :) . She would win no matter how she was dressed. Some of us get caught up in the better wear what we always wear :rolleyes: and better trial with the set of articles she last did all 3 correctly on without mucking up :rofl: .

Maybe true but if you look nice and tidy you're dogs will work that way too. I hate it when people go into the Obedience ring looking like they are dressed to go training, I know it really doesn't matter but I still feel it's wrong. :rofl:

Absolutely agree here Pax. :laugh:

I see a lot of dogs fall apart on the figure of 8 so when I train it, I pull it apart and jackpot after the figure of 8 with a game of tug or what ever the dog loves.

Now between exercises I'm still undecided, I want the dog to know it is still working so it doesn't feel ripped off by no reward but I want it to have fun. I will most likely do fun things like hand touches and spins to get to the next set up.

If I can ever train my dog to do a SFE I could trial her and let you know. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

I had a very hard time teaching my first dog the SFE. We conquered it eventually!

The method was to put in a stand and throw food all around,

(very food motivated dog) but dog not allowed to move.

Then introduced the throwing food, and someone to do exam.

When the dog got it right, then the food was a huge reward when released,

so the focus always became the food regardless

of what was happening (being examined). Just built on this.

The dog was never comfortable with SFE, but learned to do it and pass it .

:)

I've had a tough time teaching my "everybody's my best friend" Labrador the SFE. Everytime someone would approach her, she'd go into wiggle overdrive and wiggle her way over to them or jump on them :rolleyes: While we're not 100% solid yet, we're getting a lot more success than we have in the past and the way I've done it is also put her in a stand, told her to stay, then throw food and toys around her and me jumping around her like a loon to try and distract her (omg can't believe I just admitted that one out loud :laugh:) then I'd release her to get the toy or food once she didn't move! Also have placed her in a stand stay next to playground equipment with kids mucking around and gotten her to stay with that distraction - I'd circle her and touch her and then release once she stayed. I'm just hoping it keeps up, it's been our hardest thing to conquer!!!

I've had a tough time teaching my "everybody's my best friend" Labrador the SFE. Everytime someone would approach her, she'd go into wiggle overdrive and wiggle her way over to them or jump on them :) While we're not 100% solid yet, we're getting a lot more success than we have in the past and the way I've done it is also put her in a stand, told her to stay, then throw food and toys around her and me jumping around her like a loon to try and distract her (omg can't believe I just admitted that one out loud :rofl:) then I'd release her to get the toy or food once she didn't move! Also have placed her in a stand stay next to playground equipment with kids mucking around and gotten her to stay with that distraction - I'd circle her and touch her and then release once she stayed. I'm just hoping it keeps up, it's been our hardest thing to conquer!!!

I suspect that this is the dog I did a SFE on at the recent practice trial?

She did it perfectly (twice) and you were thrilled. :o

From my (Judging) point of view, I was instructed to hold my hand forward for the dog to sniff. :)

To many dogs this is an open invitation to move, so I prefer to let them "see" my hand without really

extending it into their face. How many dogs think you have a treat for them, and move towards it.

I'd rather a dog pass the SFE by toning this hand out thing down as much as possible. :rofl:

Di

Yes that was us! I was thrilled to bits, I had never done a SFE offlead with her before with someone that she didn't know, and even onlead she was so hit and miss. I think it's starting to sink in for her :) Now, if only I could get some other things to sink in... like not jumping on the judge mid heeling pattern :rofl:

As for offering the hand in the face, I agree for most dogs it looks like an invitation to move or an offer of a treat, so I am practicing with the hand extended now.

Edited by RubyStar

I'll add my two cents on figure of eights and between exercises!

With FO8 in trials I look ahead through the middle of the FO8 but when going around the posts I look at were I'm headed, so across the posts basically as this turns my shoulder enough to give the dog a guide without forcing it to lag. I also adjust my pace when going around the posts to give the dog every chance of being with me rather than behind.

Don't ever look down at your dog on this part it just causes them to lag more.

The other trick that someone told me, for dogs that heel very close to your leg and bump into you as you go around with them on the inside, it sometimes helps to turn in small increments rather than one smooth flowing circle. So walk in almost a diamond shape around the post giving more distinct turns to the dog. This really helped with my girl who was always bumping into my leg! Here's a really rough diagram for what it would look like:

post-7937-1235605467_thumb.jpg

In training for this I often add a third post to confuse the dog - particularly if I have a dog that is lagging a bit through the middle I'll pick up speed and heel out of the main figure of eight and the dog catches up and then I surprise it with a third post!

As for between exercises in a trial, I always praise after every exercise and tend to do little focus exercises to keep the dog keen and focussed. I sometimes fiddle around at the start peg when I'm waiting for the judge by stepping back or forward or around and ask my dog to stay at heel. Or I'll ask her for attention - nothing looks better than a dog and handler standing at the start peg with the dog watching it's handler expectantly.

Edited by Seita

My take on teaching FO8 is the D.Bauman method of moving in fast pace during the right about turn part, and using slow pace through the left about, getting the dog to anticipate the change of pace by exaggerating it.

When you adjust to a smooth, even pace, the dog should be right with you.

Between exercises at a trial, I am usually just trying to keep my dogs drive level going with a few encouraging words and pats.

It annoys the hell out of me when judges and stewards engage you with meaningless banter while you have your dog ready to go at the start peg.

... I will also confess to carrying around some tollar hair so that I could exactly match the colour pants I needed. That was before I had 5 dogs :thumbsup:

Tonight is the invitation obedience event at the Western Classic so I have been hunting through the cupboard trying to find something to wear and.........

it looks like I have packed my toller coloured pants - so they wont get a run at this years Classic :rofl::rofl: