Help! Help! Help!

chepet

I'll post this on here as I THINK it's the right forum , I have a BIG problem with my dog -------

EVERYTIME it rains he refuses to go outside on the grass to pee , he will usually pee on the back patio ( stamped concrete) :( ,I don't like it but at least I can hose it off

I should mention he has allergies & chews his feet , the vet thinks the wet grass probably irritates his feet ,he is on predisone at the moment & drinking more & I take him out before I go to bed , what else can I do ?

anyway , we are having lots & lots of rain at the moment & he has decided for the past 3 nights not to go out his dog door , he sleeps inside , & is now peeing inside :o & last night he pooped inside :vomit::eek: ,

my husband is furious & threatening that if he pees inside again he will be an outside dog , :thumbsup:

I know it's a problem but I couldn't bear my baby to live outside :thumbsup::laugh: ,so I need help for my dog & my marriage

The pred tabs will make him drink more and pee more, the poor dog. My dog gets the same problem with her feet.

Why don't you crate him inside at night? Do a search for crate training. :swear: At least then he will be inside but confined so can't pee in the wrong place.

Yep, raincoat or umbrella and take him out.

My guys can usually find a dry spot out under the eaves to pee - show him one of those.

And tell your husband to get back in his box - I bet it's not him that cleans up the accidents. Why should he call the shots?

And tell your husband to get back in his box - I bet it's not him that cleans up the accidents. Why should he call the shots?

Agree with this. Your dog has compromised health if he is on Pred and he needs you to speak for him as he can't. That includes standing up to people who who will do things that will further compromise his health.

Otherwise yes, put him a crate to sleep and the first person up in the morning takes the dog outside immediately (no excuses) and waits for him to go until he does. Go back to housetraining 101, but be reasonable if the dog is on medication that makes him pee more. By that I mean you may have to advocate for more tolerance in the house and family members will need to be more proactive about getting him outside to pee. Raincoat and gumboots by the back door!

Do you walk your dog when it's raining?

Yes ,I especially make a point of walking him when it's raining , hoping this will make him more used to the rain , it seems I just about get him used to it then we have ages with no rain ------- then it starts all over again , I think he was over 12 months old before he ever saw rain to start with :laugh:

Oh, thought of another strategy - a waterproof dog coat. Has your dog got one?

But he would need gumboots as he has sensitive feet and doesn't like to get his feet wet. :laugh:

Edited by PAX

doesbn't like to get his feet wet. laugh.gif

... and the more you oblige him, the worse he will get :rofl: Sorry.

I don't think it's a matter of obliging them, if you saw a dog with this skin condition you would understand how sensitive and inflamed the skin gets, I will try and get a photo of my dogs feet to show you, it is quite common for dogs with white feet.

We should send our dogs to live with you, your dry weather would help fix their feet. :laugh:

You quoted my typo. :rofl::rofl:

Oh, thought of another strategy - a waterproof dog coat. Has your dog got one?

But he would need gumboots as he has sensitive feet and doesn't like to get his feet wet. :rofl:

He was sitting & chewing his feet 2 nights ago & when I went mad at him he moved & started chewing again ,then I went mad again so he went & & hid under the coffee table & guess what

started chewing his feet again , because he thought I couldn't see him :laugh:

He was sitting & chewing his feet 2 nights ago & when I went mad at him he moved & started chewing again ,then I went mad again so he went & & hid under the coffee table & guess what

started chewing his feet again , because he thought I couldn't see him banghead.gif

The bolded bit...

NO.. not because he thought you couldn't see him...

because his feet itch, and he needs to try and relieve it.. and he is under the table because he feels anxious at being yelled at :laugh:

If you are finding the chewing irritates you so much.. let him wear a basket muzzle at home when you are there :rofl:

The chewing is not good for any skin problem... saliva and friction make any problem a lot worse!

So- he is still chewing , even tho he is on the tablets?

I would be checking with the vet.... he should be feeling much better by now, I would think...

Oh.. and anxiety alone can lead to severe chewing/licking probs....

Oh ,forgot to answer about the raincoat --- no

& yes gumboots would work better !!!!! love to see myself trying to get a pair ( make that 2 ) onto a Cairn terrier especially the back legs !!------- I think those ones you see around with the polka dots would look really cool :laugh:

He is a Cairn Terrier so he has hairy feet & yes I dry them , if they are really wet I even use the hair dryer on warm

as for "yelling " at him for chewing his feet I may have been a bit harsh there , he is told no , bit not harsh enough to stress him

the chewing doesn't irritate me I just don't want him to make his feet sore