Sit Stay Problem

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never train the down stay straight after the sit stay. Sometimes I think dogs may be anticipating the next position.

Yup I agree with this too - break it up and do the down stay first sometimes :laugh:

Oh and reward the dog for sitting everywhere!!! If they sit and hold it.... coookiessss!!!! :rolleyes:

So when training with friends does anybody ever put one dog in a sit and the next one in a down and the next one in a sit etc?

Also .....we know Leopuppy sings :rolleyes: and stares what does everybody else do/think of while waiting to return to their dogs?

So when training with friends does anybody ever put one dog in a sit and the next one in a down and the next one in a sit etc?

Also .....we know Leopuppy sings :laugh: and stares what does everybody else do/think of while waiting to return to their dogs?

Generally I try to remember to breathe. :rolleyes:

Another question - if you fail the ring work would you still do the stays - and whats your reasoning?

It depends on what we failed on in the ring work.

With faxon, if he was being a total idiot and goofing around we would not do the stays. However, if we simply blew the recall or messed up a couple of position changes while heeling we would do the stays.

My reasoning for these decisions; If he was goofing off I didn't trust him to hold a stay so I wouldn't do them.

In the latter case we would do them cos I didn't want to train him to blow off an exercise so we didn't have to do stays.

But this is a boy who blew a 1 minute sit stay in the CCD ring after about 45 seconds (On his final pass) and then went and did a perfect 5 minute sit stay in the open ring in pouring rain - we were filling in so they had the minimum number of dogs.

Bear.

But this is a boy who blew a 1 minute sit stay in the CCD ring after about 45 seconds (On his final pass) and then went and did a perfect 5 minute sit stay in the open ring in pouring rain - we were filling in so they had the minimum number of dogs.

Well, the rain is refreshing! :rolleyes:

And my guess is that your body language may have been different?? Or that being a hound Bear decided to keep you guessing.

I haven't yet as we're not quite ready, but it will definitely be something I will be doing. I will also be finding someone who's dog can dog change of positions on signals only, and getting them to do that next to my dog, whilst my dog holds its stay. Will also be looking at getting someone to do a recall with their dog next to mine, whilst my dog holds its stay... just have to get my dog to that level first.

My biggest worry, which is something that I know I will need to proof, proof, proof, is my dog wanting to go and investigate the judge when they start walking back and forth along the line :rolleyes:

Also .....we know Leopuppy sings :laugh: and stares what does everybody else do/think of while waiting to return to their dogs?

Haha - yep we do that Ptolomy - amazing how many dogs it floors :rofl:

Oi - don't pick on my singing - it's not out loud... I just have a whole theatre in my head.... nothing wrong with that!!!!!

I was thinking I would like to do a nice jig to the song in my head too, but alas we are not allowed :)

Generally I try to remember to breathe. :rolleyes:

oohhhhh - see I generally forget that!!!!

Mines pretty good with the sit stays (of course now I've said that we'll have all sorts of problems with them :rolleyes: ) it's the drops she breaks if she's going to but she's fairly good really. Mine will break a stay if she's getting very hot or stressed or if the stupid human lets her get over excited while we're waiting to going in. I just go and do another one outside the ring if she breaks.

Fixing problems in stays really depends on why it happened. You work out why then you come up with a plan to fix it. If it's due to being hot and tired then I will do training and exercise then practise a stay at the end of all that. I vary the time too, longer isn't always better some dogs get wise that you're going to be a while and will drop knowing they can fit in a little rest until you can get back to reposition them. I've seen the odd cheeky devil who'd drop about half way in then pop back up on the return. All with a big "see I'm sitting" grin.

As for not doing stays I will generally do them regardless. She's reasonably reliable and well proofed. I've practised stays with her in the park with our friends dogs tearing around the place playing and retrieving all around her and yep Ptolomy I've had people sit or stand their dogs either sit of mine while practising while she's in a different position.

I analyse my grooming while I'm doing stays. Sad but true. :laugh:

So many questions.........

Has anybody found when proofing for distractions thats dogs are more likely to drop or get up when there is nothing going on rather than when you are running around madly or throwing balls etc.

PS - I count while waiting to return to my dog......101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106.......

They say small things amuse small minds :rolleyes:

Edited by Ptolomy

I found the more stuff going on in the ring, the less likely my dog would lie down. A dog breaking the sit stay to go to its handler was a gift from God for me. No way would she move off the mark even under very high distraction.. just lie down if left to her own devices.

Edited by poodlefan

Has anybody found when proofing for distractions thats dogs are more likely to drop or get up when there is nothing going on rather than when you are running around madly or throwing balls etc.

Definitely! Sticky nose Aussies love to watch what is going on around them :). It's boring when there is nothing to do :rolleyes:

Ptolomy... I choose not to comment on the 'small minds' :laugh:

I find this interesting. Any advice for someone who is just starting out training at home. Even at home occasionally if I put Jake into a stay he will drop down, along the lines of it's more comfortable I think, I started saying to him sit up, and he will, but I guess if you are trialling you will be failed even if he sits back up :rolleyes:

Sorry a bit off topic too, I can't get him to stand. He sits all the time, even if I so much as look at him! :laugh: How do you teach stand???

Edited by Quickasyoucan

My lazy darling just starts to doze off if there's no excitement. She actually yawns and puts her head out for a nap in the long drop stays. Depends on how busy they are I think the old girl would eye ball me if there was nothing going on and kneed with her front feet. Koori just sits there and looks around yawning occasionally.

Quickasyoucan does Jake understand stand as a position? Will he stand from a sit or a drop on command? Sometimes a dog will take us looking at them as precursor to a correction and since most of us start by teaching sit and reinforcing it strongly sit becomes a default response if they thing they've done the wrong thing. Sometimes all it takes is saying stand gently to let them know what you want.

My lazy darling just starts to doze off if there's no excitement. She actually yawns and puts her head out for a nap in the long drop stays. Depends on how busy they are I think the old girl would eye ball me if there was nothing going on and kneed with her front feet. Koori just sits there and looks around yawning occasionally.

Quickasyoucan does Jake understand stand as a position? Will he stand from a sit or a drop on command? Sometimes a dog will take us looking at them as precursor to a correction and since most of us start by teaching sit and reinforcing it strongly sit becomes a default response if they thing they've done the wrong thing. Sometimes all it takes is saying stand gently to let them know what you want.

No I don't think he knows what it means, you have explained exactly what happens, I think it is his default response when he thinks I want him to do something. He sits automatically for treats, to be let off the lead etc. I tried holding a treat in front of him and moving him forward on the lead gently but he still sits down.

Sorry I don't want to hog the thread.

My biggest worry, which is something that I know I will need to proof, proof, proof, is my dog wanting to go and investigate the judge when they start walking back and forth along the line :rolleyes:

My girl went to jump at the judge in both her practice runs a couple of weeks back while heeling - so glad she didn't do it in the real thing! However, saying that, she's gotten sooo much better with not jumping up at the judge as we enter the ring and line up at the starting peg. So she's slowly getting it :laugh: I need to get someone to walk near us when I'm practicing heelwork.

Quickasyoucan have you tried just popping your hand under his tummy or on his patella to keep him standing? You don't push you just hold your hand there gently saying stand and reward. If luring isn't working you might need to do that until the penny drops as he hasn't got the faintest idea what you want by the sound of it.

I personally always teach it that way as then there's no chance of them getting it wrong.

Great work Rubystar, hang in there you'll get there in the end.

Also .....we know Leopuppy sings :rolleyes: and stares what does everybody else do/think of while waiting to return to their dogs?

I do train with dogs in both sits and downs, not as 'formal' as one up, one down, one up etc.

I'm like you, I count :laugh:

I had a chronic sit stay problem with my older Vizsla in Open. The first pass he finally got was when he was watching a magpie in the ring the entire sit stay. Having something to interest him certainly did help. I think you need to proof, but also need to train in 'ideal' trial conditions, nothing else going on :)

Edited by FHRP

I did a 1 minute sit stay in a class tonight, she stayed put. While the others did their 3 minute down stay, I repeated the sit stay. Still stayed put :D But this time half way through just to make sure she didn't break, I casually walked back, gave her a gentle pat and "good stay" and returned back out front for the remaining 1.5 minute. There's no class next week due to public holiday so that was my final group stay practice before the Western Classic :)