Demodectic Mange

stacyk

I have been doing so much research on Demodex so thought I would ask for some opinions.

I have a puppy scottie who I purchased as a show pup.

At 16weeks she had her C5 immunisation and had a nasty reaction (head and neck swelled up grossly then the hair fell out of her face).

Vet put her on antihistamines and antibiotics a few days later she had a GA for a biopsy but it was then discovered with a positive skin scrapping that she infact had Demodex (first skin scrapping earlier was negative).

All her litter mates are apparently doing fine (I checked with the breeder). Most research I have done points to a genetic low immunity causing the demodex but I wonder could this be caused by her vaccination?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this.

The mites are present on all dogs, but some have a genetic predisposition to actually developing clinical disease.

Any form of stress can cause a dip in immune response - environmental, nutritional etc so it's possible that while the immune system is preoccupied dealing with a vaccination that we can see then signs of demodicosis. Having juvenile demodicosis doesn't neccessarily mean that it will be a problem in adulthood (and adult onset demodex is a more serious problem).

Sorry this is short, I'm working on some other things atm.

Short answer - NO!

I have had two dogs with demodectic mites. Its not known to be hereditary in my breed, and while these two were mother and daughter....I have since had a third generation without any incidence. I was careful to not overload the puppies immune systems - they were vacc later than normal, and only the basic minimum required. Minimal worming and other chemical treatments up to 12 months of age. I got the whole litter through without any signs of the demodex getting out of hand.

Edited by Rysup

Demodex can be hereditary

It is very common in Shar Pei, some breeds like Staffies too are more prone to it

A C5 vaccination can lower the dogs immunity to the mites already living on thier skin

I did not have a problem with my dog and demodex until I C5 Vaccinated and he had a allergic reaction

He has not been C5 vaccinated since

I have only experienced one case of demdectic mange and it was in the weeks leading up to a bitch's first season so naturally her immunity was quite low. Once treated it never came back but we did take precautions to use Advocate especially on her to prevent a recurrence. As others have said before, every dog has the mites present, it just seems to affect some breeds more than others, Staffords, being the sensitive little precious things they are :mad are quite susceptible. If the mange was recurrent throughout adulthood as well, I would seriously consider breeding with that dog, but that's just me.

I've had 2 dogs with it, both under physical stress, both really bad. Both recovered. Both were bred from. One was 20 years ago, and her grandson was a famous dog exported to US. I checked on some of his progeny and g/progeny, No problems. Her daughters and sons didn't have problems either.

The vac could have lowered the dogs immunity, particulary with that reaction.

• 1 month later...

I am currently looking at a rescue puppy (5 mths old) who has Demodex Mange, it's being treated but my question is whether having had the mange, is his immunity now compromised? We lost one of our beloved samoyeds in February which devastated us so the thought of taking in another dog and becoming attached to him (and we have young children) then losing him through illness caused by this low immunity is very difficult to contemplate. If he still needs treatment for the condition in the future that's fine, but it's whether this will lead to more serious problems and other illness? Perhaps another way of putting it - the low immunity may cause the mange but does the mange then maintain a low immunity?

Dusty had it, although it was very mild The hair around one of her eyes fell out. I'd taken her interstate to some dog shows and to stay with my son. She was 8 months old, and didn't cope at all well with being away from home. She hated staying at my sons house and spent the whole 4 days we were there growling at him. She was very stressed and came home with mild demodectic mange.

It cleared up quickly and the hair grew back within a couple of weeks.

My first bitch developed demodex when raising her first litter (stress) and could not be treated until the puppies where completely weaned. Three of her litter of 6 developed it after their 12 week injections (stress) as well, and had obviously caught a load of mites from their dam. This was over 20 years ago and all were successfully treated with ectodex rinse. It never re-occured and all went on to lead long healthy lives. I have not had anymore cases descended from any of these dogs.

It is very easy to treat and then maintain if it is ongoing.

Though most cases are juvenile only.

PM me if you would like to more about treatment.

EDIT to add:

As for ongoing low immunity this will depend on what has caused the drop in immunity.

If the pup has genetic low immunity yes it is comprised and stress may bring on another bout of demodex.

If it has been caused by an environmental factor (my girl got it as a reaction to her vaccination) the immunity would obviously bounce back once the cause is removed.

Edited by stacyk