Farty Pants

Does anyone elses dogs fart alot on a raw diet or is it just Staffords :laugh: ? I've fed them both a raw diet since they were pups and they look great and have firm poos but do some real stinky farts :thumbsup: . Sophie can clear a room with hers. Banjo's are loud but not as smelly. My other dog Buster(Lab X Rotty) never farts and he's on the same diet.

Edited by Tiggy

What exaclty are you feeding?

I find that after bones, I feed lamb flaps once or twice a week, my two will make more smells then normal. But, thinking back, on the whole I would say that my two make less smells on the BARF diet then on their previous diet that contained dry food.

I feed a premade BARF mix, raw meaty bones, meat, offal, sardines, eggs etc. I feed bones most days but haven't noticed them farting less on the days they don't have bones and the bones are good for keeping their poos firm.

I'd put down my staffies smelly wind breaks down to the dried liver that he gets as treats.... Normally when he has a bit of this he could evacuate a room in 3 seconds.... :thumbsup::laugh: Only dogs can get away wih this beaviour. My boy is on half/half. Nights he gets BARF and mornings he gets kibble (purina) and half a tin of tuna in brine. When we back off the dried liver he doesnt seem to break much wind.

Does anyone elses dogs fart alot on a raw diet or is it just Staffords :( ? I've fed them both a raw diet since they were pups and they look great and have firm poos but do some real stinky farts :thumbsup: . Sophie can clear a room with hers. Banjo's are loud but not as smelly. My other dog Buster(Lab X Rotty) never farts and he's on the same diet.

Sorry but I think it may just be Staffys :laugh: Friends had two dogs, a Newfie and a Staffy, the Newfie got heartworm and the Staffy didn't, the vet reckoned the farts from the Staffy (legendary among guests who visited!) kept the Mozzies away from him :)

I do feed dried liver treats but they fart when they have them or not. It doesn't really bother me because they're thriving on the diet in every other way and when I have tried them on kibble they had big soft poos so I'm confident in sticking with the raw diet.

Does anyone elses dogs fart alot on a raw diet or is it just Staffords :o ? I've fed them both a raw diet since they were pups and they look great and have firm poos but do some real stinky farts :laugh: . Sophie can clear a room with hers. Banjo's are loud but not as smelly. My other dog Buster(Lab X Rotty) never farts and he's on the same diet.

Ah you have staffords - I think farting should be inserted somewhere into the breed standard.

Never met one that doesn't become offensive :laugh:

I feed a premade BARF mix, raw meaty bones, meat, offal, sardines, eggs etc. I feed bones most days but haven't noticed them farting less on the days they don't have bones and the bones are good for keeping their poos firm.

Is there fish in their food every day? Could be the cause.

And like ArtyFarty said if I have feed a bone or chicken necks that have been a little off then they have stunk the house out.

My Stafford has been known to clear a room too! He's also on a raw diet (meat/bone/offal).

I find it often happens when he's stressed (generally when his routine has changed or when people come over for dinner; anything that doesn't happen often). As soon as we're alone again and/or his routine is back to normal, the farting magically stops...

He also tended to fart after eating pig trotters, so I've reduced the amount of pork he eats. He now gets pork once a month, if that. This has helped a lot.

I keep an air freshener - specifically for pet odours - in the loungeroom and also the bedroom. This can sometimes make the farts smell worse, however :whiteflag: .

post-11976-1236152354_thumb.jpg

My girl (border collie) only gets really offensive after lamb or offal. I feed sardines almost every day, her veggie mix contains yoghurt and she gets mostly chicken bones etc but only on the occasions that I do feed lamb or offal is when I get the gas!

Yep suddenly my westie girl started doing real room clearers and her tummy was really gurgling - and the only thing different in her diet was the dried lamb treats - a good dose of natural yoghurt seems to have helped al lot.

Cheers,

Westiemum :cry:

do you add youghurt to there food, mine have a spoon of natural yoghurt a day and we rarely get a ponga, worth a try, I use the easigo hme made yoghurt.

Try putting 2 peppermint leaves in their raw mix every day

I find it helps with my Shar Pei, does not stop the fart, but you can remain in the room with your hand over your nose LOL