Commercial Barf

my sickly Saint, Juggernaut, has been on 550gms or Dr Bs with 1kgs or Chicken wings for a while now, and she has been relatively fine, just really skinny, 3 weeks ago i changed her to 2kg of FP.

since then she has started weeing in the house.

she has only ever done this before when she has been ill, firstly an absess on her bladder and then when i had her on dry food and she was drinking so much and weeing what was basically water.

BARF is BARF right? sure, the quality might change with price, but its still Billinghurst recipe, right?

if it is the food, how could the new diet be effecting her so?

The company that makes FP, VIP Pet Food, put presevatives in some of their other foods. Could be they do so for FP as well.

itdoes say 'No preservative' on the packaging but i am not sure if they are bound to he same restrictions in relation to advertising as human foods are.

BARF is BARF right? sure, the quality might change with price, but its still Billinghurst recipe, right?

Wrong! FP's & Dr B's are vastly different in terms of ingredients and quality of ingredients! It's not wise to purchase FP in the belief that it is as good as Dr B's - there is just not comparision in quality of ingredients.

Wrong! FP's & Dr B's are vastly different in terms of ingredients and quality of ingredients! It's not wise to purchase FP in the belief that it is as good as Dr B's - there is just not comparision in quality of ingredients.

hmmm.

i just can't aford $20 a day to feed her Dr Bs :thumbsup:

how are they different. i know FB don't pulverise the vegies nearly as much, and they don't have as much of the extra good that Dr B does, and the 1kg whole block of FB is mostly water (very disapointing!) but how else?

I thought BARF was supposed to be cheap? One of the selling points people say is that it is cheaper than using kibble. There is no way mine cost $20 a day to feed on kibble and chicken frames!

I thought BARF was supposed to be cheap? One of the selling points people say is that it is cheaper than using kibble. There is no way mine cost $20 a day to feed on kibble and chicken frames!

i can do it on $7 a day, with 550g og Dr Bs and 1 kg od Chicken wings, but she is so skinny she needs to put good wieght on and so i would need to feed about 2kgs of quality food to put it on her.

if i feed her 800g of i/d i would be looking at $8 a day.

i will get a full blood work up at the vet today and see what her hormones are doing and, i doubt it, but fingers crossed there is a underlying hormone problem that is causing all her ongoing problems.

i just can't aford $20 a day to feed her Dr Bs :D

$20 a day? :thumbsup: How big is your dog?

Can't you make your own BARF diet?

i don't have the freezer space, or the time :p

shes is about 50kg, and quite skinny.

Edited by Crysti_Lei

Um it takes me maye 2 hours every two months to do the veggie/fruit slops.

It might take me an hour every month to package up the meats and bones. This is for two pugs.

So I can't let you say that you don't have enough time to make your own BARF.

I can understand the freezer space issues.

Maybe Kevin Dudds handout can be put towards a freezer.

Um it takes me maye 2 hours every two months to do the veggie/fruit slops.

It might take me an hour every month to package up the meats and bones. This is for two pugs.

So I can't let you say that you don't have enough time to make your own BARF.

I can understand the freezer space issues.

Maybe Kevin Dudds handout can be put towards a freezer.

new baby, OH works away, gym to get healthy and a house and two dog to keep up, not to mention a life and my family. i is time poor :thumbsup:

i made my own BARF for a long time, back when i have a freezer, and it was better then Dr Bs, if i don't say so myself. LOL but i just can do it ATM.

and i am slowing himting that we need to get a freezer, but we need a place to put it now as there is a dryer where the old freezer was :D

Making your own BARF as per Dr B's book (s) is cheaper. The patties are a convenience thing, for those who do not have the time or inclination to do it themselves.

$20 a day Crysti, OMG that's insane! :thumbsup: No wonder you are seeking cheaper alternatives. Sorry, can't offer too much help :D I've used the Dr B patties before and the kids love them, but I much prefer to make it up myself. Actually I feed more a raw diet than BARF, then you don't have to bother with the veggies which is the part (IMO) that takes time :p I only have a normal sized freezer too, I just buy whatever's on special whenever I can, usually one or two trips to the shops a week.

$20 a day Crysti, OMG that's insane! :thumbsup:

i know, can you imagine trying to explain that to the OH that earns the money?? LOL

hense why feeding 2kgs of Dr B a day is out of the question. as ideal as it would be.

Crysti_Lei, off topic I know, but what is in your avatar? It goes too fast for me to see.

Would it be possible for you to do up the vege/slops mix and freeze that and just mix with mince as you go?

ETA

Edited by MiniMum

You aren't supposed to feed the veggies, mince every day anyhow. You are supposed to aim for a balanced weekly diet, not balanced daily. I never did the freeze heaps of stuff thing. Read the example in the book about the busy mum that tosses this and that to her dog. That is how it is supposed to work. People make is too complicated.