Chicken And Rice Diet

Hi,

How long would you need to have your dog on a bland diet of say chicken mince and rice for to see any improvement in coat allergies. We are just starting this and wondered how long it will take to see a difference. Als how long can you feed just this it doesn't seem very balanced the vet didn't really say how long and while in there you never think of things till you drive home and think it through

Thanks

Hi magicsmum!

You need to pop into the Dally thread :birthday:

My questions are purely from a Dalmatian perspective......what sort of allergic reactions are you seeing? What sort of mince are you feeding i.e. pet grade? human grade? Freshly minced (in front of you)? Dals seem to be sensitive to preservatives and these are present in more foods than I care to think of, including human and pet grade mince unless otherwise specified. Do you know of anything your Dal is allergic to?

Chicken mince and rice is not a complete diet.

Feeding a whole chicken (muscle meat, bones and heart, liver, kidney etc) is much closer to a balanced diet.

Your dog doesn't need the rice. It's a filler.

What the. Feeding a dog rice in an elimination diet. Grains cause a high percentage of skin problems.

Get the dog off the rice, and any other grains, and onto a RAW or BARF diet.

Here's an example.

BARF FEEDING ROUTINE

MONDAY

Chicken Necks

Slops

TUESDAY

Fish

Slops

WEDNESDAY

Chicken Necks

Yoghurt

Slops

THURSDAY

Kangaroo

Slops

FRIDAY

Chicken Necks

Offal

Slops

SATURDAY

Lamb bones

Slops

SUNDAY

Beef or Lamb or Kangaroo or Pork

Slops

I feed only once a day with my adult pugs but others choose to feed twice a day. If you choose to feed twice a day you probably would do bones in the morning, chicken necks, wings carcasses lamb bones brisket bones and then some sort of muscle meat and the veggies slops in the evening.

BARF SLOPS INGREDIENTS & METHOD

Things I always include:

- container of alfala spouts

- bunch of spinach (roots cut off)

- bag of carrots

- bunch of celary

- 4 zuccinis

- 3 to 4 oranges (peeled)

- 1 pumpkin

- 2 to 4 apples (pips taken out)

- 2 to 4 bannanas (peeled)

- bunch of silverbeat

- 4 oranges

- 8 to 10 eggs (whole including shell)

- flaxseed oil (approx 250mL) (some people choose to not include this and add to the food daily)

- kelp (approx 100g)

What else you can put in:

- 1 to 2 green capsicums (stalk cut off & seeds out)

- 1 to 2 red caspsicums (stalk cut off & seeds removed)

- turnip

- squash

- 2 to 4 pears

- half to 1 pinapple

- brussel sprouts

- brocoli

- cauliflower

- bag of beans

- Apple Cider Vinegar

- Vitamin C

Chop up then process up in blender/food processor so that things turn to slops. Put each blender batch into a big bucket. Usually leave the eggs & flaxseed oil for things that don't blend very well like the pumpkin and carrots. Ingredients should fill up a bucket. Mix bucket with big ladel till all mixed through then put into take away containers & freeze untill needed.

If you're doing a food elimination diet for skin issues, you need to feed something the dog has previously never eaten. Many vets recommend feeding ONE novel meat with a novel carb, but all the carbs do is bulk the food out - not really all that necessary. I'm not sure what you've previously been feeding, but chicken is pretty much in everything, as is rice, so I would look at avoiding both of these with your diet.

I did ours using horse meat and was lucky to be able to feed horse meat with horse brisket - providing a reasonable balance of meat and bones.

Dermatologists recommend doing the elimination diet for 12 weeks.

Edited by stormie

Wow now i'm really confused i thought i'd just trust the vet mmmm She has pinkish verging on red skin thinning coat this is only on her back whenever she is washed she gets lumps when she is wet it is easier to see the pinkish red skin there is tiny little sores that kind of resemble pimples and from what it looks like it is on a hair follicle then that hair falls out hence the thinning fur i have been washing in malaseb but now reading the thread on lumps after bathing im wondering if thats the right thing thats what the vet gave me. I can only assume the chicken and rice was to elimnate preservatives. It was intersting to read the daily feed chart that puggy puggy sent thatnks for that i might have to try that. She isn't vomiting just thsi skin issue

It might not be the whole solution, but the hair follicle type infections in Dals do tend to flare up following bathing, stress and hot/humid weather. The less I wash Zig the better his coat looks :rolleyes: Recently I bathed him, before 2 days at the pet expo (pretty full on so stressful) in awfully hot/humid conditions and it has not agreed with his skin at all. I have kept the skin dry, cleaned with warm salty water if necessary then blow dried before I applied a manuka honey based cream, which clears up the lumps and bumps overnight. The product is called Rescue Gel from http://www.livingnature.com

Definitely avoid preservatives (and colours/flavours) like the plague - chicken mince is likely to be full of them unless otherwise specified. Most treats are full of rubbish too - I just feed cooked chicken, boiled egg, cheese, carrot etc. Feeding whole chicken frames/wings/maryland would be better than feeding mince but only as a short term option. I feed frames/wings/maryland every 2nd night and alternate with Artemis dry dog food, which I have found to suit Zig really well. If you want to feed a raw diet, you obviously need to adapt the diet for Dalmatians i.e. low purine, no organ meat etc.

Listen to your Vet to start with.

I am no expert but if you are trying to find the source of the skin problem I think the Vet is probably going back to basics as often different types of food's can be a source of an allergy. If we have any food related problems we buy chicken, cut it into small pieces and feed it with rice, as suggested by our vet as well. I dont really like using mince.

I don’t agree at all with Puggy Puggy's suggestion, with that diet you would be introducing so many different types of foods and food groups you would never work out the culprit, if it does end up being a food allergy.

You need to take the advice BARF advocates on this site with a certain amount of scepticism, a lot of the information is very useful, you just need to weigh up the good from the bad.

It might not be the whole solution, but the hair follicle type infections in Dals do tend to flare up following bathing, stress and hot/humid weather. The less I wash Zig the better his coat looks :) Recently I bathed him, before 2 days at the pet expo (pretty full on so stressful) in awfully hot/humid conditions and it has not agreed with his skin at all. I have kept the skin dry, cleaned with warm salty water if necessary then blow dried before I applied a manuka honey based cream, which clears up the lumps and bumps overnight. The product is called Rescue Gel from http://www.livingnature.com

Definitely avoid preservatives (and colours/flavours) like the plague - chicken mince is likely to be full of them unless otherwise specified. Most treats are full of rubbish too - I just feed cooked chicken, boiled egg, cheese, carrot etc. Feeding whole chicken frames/wings/maryland would be better than feeding mince but only as a short term option. I feed frames/wings/maryland every 2nd night and alternate with Artemis dry dog food, which I have found to suit Zig really well. If you want to feed a raw diet, you obviously need to adapt the diet for Dalmatians i.e. low purine, no organ meat etc.

Yes this is exactly the issue do you think it is a dalmatian hereditry thing my old dalmatian who is 10 yr old has never had nay skin issues this girl is going to be the death of me!!! I have spent a fortune at vets trying to get an answer i really want to show her so have to wash her before a show i usualyy go to one a month sometimes 2 a month i just can't seem to rid her coat of this redish pinkish tinge.

Magics mum

It's a really tough one - the American Dalmatian Club is doing a lot of work on health/genetics but it's very difficult to be sure.

Personally, I think your first port of call should be with the breeder of your girl - they will be able to tell you about any issues her relatives have had etc. I know with my boy that this episode is likely to be uncommon as his relatives all have amazing coats. He was so hyperactive over the Expo weekend (I have never seen him that keen to work!!!) that it probably induced a stress response and suppressed his immune system.

Perhaps just try washing her legs and wiping down her back to take any surface dirt off?