Barkly Has Gone All Itchy

:cool:

Barkly has started scratching quite a lot.

I think it started about a week ago.

He has also started reacting with the reflex kicking motion with very slight touching/rubbing on his chest and tummy.

I'm not sure if the two are related.

I'm not sure what's causing it.

I recently bought some Artemis Maximus and had started to slowly introduce that into his diet...maybe that's it?

He's also been fascinated by the ground in his toilet area recently - sniffing much more closely that he used to.

He's also been 'air scenting' when I take him out to the toilet and I've had trouble getting him to go on command.

I've cut out the Artemis and gone back to Eagle pack, but I'm not sure that's it.

Any comments on the scratching and the reflex kicking?

Arghhh...Dogs.

End vent.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does he have a rash or any sores on his tummy? (Could be a grass allergy.) It could also be the food. Henschke scratched like mad with Orijien.

Have you changed his shampoo or washed him recently? If yes, you may not have rinsed all the soap out causing him to get itchy.

I wouldn't worry about the reflex thing, that's just it - a reflex. (I never know whether dogs like being scratched on that spot or not!)

Hi Luke,

Funnily enough my dog started scratching with spots under her front arms (?) so changed her from Eagle Pack to Artemis, on top of going to the vet for antibiotics to clear it up, together with being told to use Malaseb shampoo. This was the second bout of itching spots, thus the change of diet. However had a delivery of Evening Primrose Oil from Groomers Products and after using that, and I'm convinced it was this shampoo and not the pills, all has disappeared. Artemis is still what we're using.

Any comments on the scratching and the reflex kicking?

Arghhh...Dogs.

End vent.

Does he have a rash or any sores on his tummy? (Could be a grass allergy.) It could also be the food. Henschke scratched like mad with Orijien.

Have you changed his shampoo or washed him recently? If yes, you may not have rinsed all the soap out causing him to get itchy.

I wouldn't worry about the reflex thing, that's just it - a reflex. (I never know whether dogs like being scratched on that spot or not!)

No rash or sores.

In the last 2 weeks he's:

Started to chang food and been bathed at the groomer - maybe it's the shampoo or doggy scent they use. :cool:

Maybe I'll give him a bath.

Re the reflex spot...it's pretty much anywhere on his chest or tummy!

Hi Luke,

Funnily enough my dog started scratching with spots under her front arms (?) so changed her from Eagle Pack to Artemis, on top of going to the vet for antibiotics to clear it up, together with being told to use Malaseb shampoo. This was the second bout of itching spots, thus the change of diet. However had a delivery of Evening Primrose Oil from Groomers Products and after using that, and I'm convinced it was this shampoo and not the pills, all has disappeared. Artemis is still what we're using.

OK - I think I've got some Maleseb here.

Edited by Luke W

The reflex motion would just be because he's so itchy. When Orbit's having a bad day you only need to touch him anywhere and his skin flinches and the leg starts going. Can't pat him on a bad day :cool:

I'd be suss on the food and would switch back to Eagle Pack. Check the ingredients of them and see what new meat proteins are in the Artemis - could very well be that!

Could also have a contact irritation that has become progressively worse - might just be that he needs a dose of anti-inflamms and anti bio's to get it under control.

Switch back to the other food and see what happens.

Malaseb most likely wont help him as it's for bacterial sort of things. I would be more inclined just to wash him with plain warm water if you think it might be the stuff the groomer has left on.

Give him an antihistamine as well to help the itchies.

I'd use the Aloveen Oatmeal shampoo and conditioner (with thorough rinse off after). I don't like using the doggy perfume that many groomers put on the dogs. I agree it smells nice and many dogs seem to be ok with it (although I really wonder what THEY think of the smell) but IMO a clean dog doesn't need the extra smelly stuff on their coat. The perfume is to please the owners, not the dog.

Edited by Erny

I agree with Puggy about holding off on the Malaseb, it's unneccessary and at this stage would probably make him itchier. I would just give him a soothing bath in ALoveen and make sure it is thoroughly rinsed off.

With any luck he is itchy simply because the groomer didn't wash out all the product (which happens all too often), or they use a crap shampoo (which also happens alot).

Re. the Artemis, my sometimes itchy dog has been doing well on it, but his poos are frequent and sloppy so I think we will switch back to Eagle Pack.

It's the same groomer I usually take him to - only this time I forgot to tell her "no perfume"..

I hope that's what it is.

He's scratching a little bit now (post maleseb bath).

:cool:

Highly unlikely to be caused by the products this groomer uses as I know for a fact they are top quality and as natural as possible. And she is very thorough, does a first class job.

I think you have answered your own question when you mention you have changed his diet. I'd go back to what you were feeding, and add some fish oil, or better still, go natural and lose the chemicals.

Also, have you looked for clues in the garden? Wandering jew perhap?

Edited by Toohey

http://www.newtownvet.com.au/Grooming.asp

Should have been a bit more specific on the evening primrose shampoo! Its not just one of those groomer nice smelling shampoos, if you do a search (or click on the link above to get you started) you will find lots of positive info for eczema, dermatitis etc. using this product.

Just saw this. This groomer actually uses the Groomers range in her salon.

Highly unlikely to be caused by the products this groomer uses as I know for a fact they are top quality and as natural as possible. And she is very thorough, does a first class job.

I think you have answered your own question when you mention you have changed his diet. I'd go back to what you were feeding, and add some fish oil.

Also, have you looked for clues in the garden? Wandering jew perhap?

Yeah, I'm not convinced it's anything the groomer has used - she is very good - unless it a particular reaction to the perfume (which we didn't use last time).

I'll check with the gardener about wandering jew.

It's hard to remember when the itching started, when I started to introduce his new food, when he was groomed, etc, etc.

I've stopped feeding Artemis so we'll see how he goes.

Re - the fish oil - it the occasional sardines a good idea?

Oh - and after his malaseb bath today - his coat seems a bit dry...

Because it is his chest and tummy and I going for a contact allergy. As well as stuff in the garden, cleaning products in the house can cause issues.

I spent bloody ages pulling up wandering jew in my garden and Brock was still getting itches on his belly. I ended up stalking him for a couple of days and watching were he was snoozing. Was a totally different plant! Once I stopped him sleeping on that it got a lot better.