This Could Be Your Child

Bonniebank

If you are an owner of a dog that belongs to a 'dangerous breed' category and you also have a small child please take this as a warning.

Don't leave your dog with the child unattended under any circumstances.

Only a little moment was enough for the following to happen.

See the photo attached ....

post-3429-1236823209_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's a cute photo and all, but what if that was the start of a problem,problems begin somewhere don't they? Ok one dog allows that but if same child did it to another?

Yep parents watch blah blah, but no sadly they do not always.

Edited by Delkerabo

I know it's a cute photo and all, but what if that was the start of a problem,problems begin somewhere don't they? Ok one dog allows that but if same child did it to another?

i see your point, and concur with your argument... they should never be left alone because all it takes is a second. But that doesn't mean we should be so paranoid as to CONTINUE to put BSL on the breeds RATHER THAN THE DEEDS!!! i'm so far gone on this, i hate it... i've seen a JRT have a go at a kid for petting it... but they're not considered a dangerous breed, yet they could injure the child too!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely photo . . . every breed has some redeeming features, and I hope (against hope) all dogs of all breeds get redeemed by good management and breeding to tone down aggressiveness.

BUT, as has sometimes been pointed out on this Forum, DA and HA don't always go together. Because a dog is sweet with children that it has come to accept as members of its pack doesn't guarantee that it won't take the white fluffy dog next door by the neck and shake it until dead, or for that matter, that it won't have a go at the postie.

Cute pictures are a weak defense against BSL. It isn't one sort of good deed that is required. It is consistent good [or at least socially acceptable] behaviour.

In my experience working as a vet nurse I had more to fear from those white fluffies than the larger breeds...personally any dog should not be left unattended with a child...and from my experience it seems the wrong people get the wrong breed-or certain breeds attract the wrong sorta people. Unfortunate but true legislation is a way of protecting some people from themselves or other people from other peoples careless ways. Either way duty of care rests in the induvidual and excessive reactions (either way) are ott. Btw I thought the picture was sweet... Disclaimer: Drawing on dogs should not be encouraged :laugh:

Edited by redangel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i see your point, and concur with your argument... they should never be left alone because all it takes is a second. But that doesn't mean we should be so paranoid as to CONTINUE to put BSL on the breeds RATHER THAN THE DEEDS!!! i'm so far gone on this, i hate it... i've seen a JRT have a go at a kid for petting it... but they're not considered a dangerous breed, yet they could injure the child too!!!

The problem I have with focusing on the DEED rather than the BREED, is that it generally means nothing can be done until after a person or pet is actually attacked - having an individual dog dealt with after the fact is not much consolation to the victims.

That being said, I don't really think BSL is the right answer to the problem either, but I am interested to know what people think about what role genetics, and therefore appropriate breeding, plays in aggression in dogs. If there was legislation of some type that aimed to prevent inappropriate breeding of aggressive dogs, regardless of breed, do you think this would be useful / appropriate? Or do you believe that breeders only need to consider the looks and health of the dogs, and that behavior is completely in the hands of the owner?

My personal belief is that some breeds are more inclined to be aggressive to people and/or animals. I think however that it is more appropriate to focus on innapropriate breeding practices, as well as owner education about how to raise dogs, than to label an entire breed as dangerous - particularly when so many dogs are mixed breeds of unknown heritage. But I do worry about arguments that imply that aggression is unrelated to genetics, and also worry when people claim ANY dog is completely safe around children/dogs/cats etc.

The problem I have with focusing on the DEED rather than the BREED, is that it generally means nothing can be done until after a person or pet is actually attacked - having an individual dog dealt with after the fact is not much consolation to the victims.

That's a bit like saying everyone who weighs over 95kg has the potential to be an efficent violent attacker, so we should lock them up in case they do something nasty. Or that people who have tattoos are more likely to be criminals, so we'd better kill them (I have a tattoo btw).

I think rather being predisposed to aggression, these dogs are predisposed to being owned by people who many people find intimidating. Gangs of youths standing on corners with a big, scary dogs. Young men who we deem undeserving of owning a dog because they don't have a job, or simply because they're young. We must do something to protect the women and children!

It's descrimination repackaged.

Don't believe me? Think any of these dogs should be seized and killed?

pinupsforpitbull_1.jpg

jenny_petunia_treats.jpg

pinupsforpitbulls_2.jpg

If not, then BSL is wrong.

Kids get bitten by all kinds of dogs. Tough guys will get a big strong dog whether they should have them or not. Neither of these facts have anything to do with pitbulls.

(Images from Pin Ups for Pitbulls)

That's a bit like saying everyone who weighs over 95kg has the potential to be an efficent violent attacker, so we should lock them up in case they do something nasty. Or that people who have tattoos are more likely to be criminals, so we'd better kill them (I have a tattoo btw).

Crap, i have a tattoo and 2 bull breeds, whats that saying about me ? :laugh: