Commercial Raw Diets

Guest Willow

What is the difference between making up your own BARF patties and feeding them as well as bones, and buying the commercial BARF patties and feeding bones. Nothing that I can see apart from convenience. The dogs are still being fed BARF they are still on the receiving end of a good diet, which is the aim, Yes?

This is what I do. Plus kibble. I don't claim to feed BARF, but the dogs do eat BARF mix IYKWIM. I've started using the Canine Country one and all pets are doing well on it. Although their main diet would usually be kibble and bones.

We do the same... the pups won't touch the veges unless they're mixed in with mince, so I buy minced chicken frames and mix it up with the veges (with offal some days). But that's only a few days a week. The rest of the time they're eating a variety of bones.

The dogs will eat vegies on their own sometimes, but won't touch offal! I don't use pet mince as the dogs get enough bones throughout the week, I use low quality beef mince as it's got a good fat content. And the chicken frame mince I've bought before has always been really gross :laugh:

ETA: I gave Daisy a piece of chicken liver the other day, and I thought she had eaten it - I walked into the lounge room a little while later and she had dropped it next to the lounge :thumbsup:

Edited by huski

ETA: I gave Daisy a piece of chicken liver the other day, and I thought she had eaten it - I walked into the lounge room a little while later and she had dropped it next to the lounge :laugh:

Charming!!!!! :thumbsup: I think YOUR beagle is broken, now!

ETA: I gave Daisy a piece of chicken liver the other day, and I thought she had eaten it - I walked into the lounge room a little while later and she had dropped it next to the lounge :laugh:

Charming!!!!! :thumbsup: I think YOUR beagle is broken, now!

He's better now, but when we first brought TD home he didn't know what to do with a bone. I cut them up a lot, but I still found a wing tip under our doona :laugh:

I feed my dogs a mix, sometimes they get the pre-made BARF patties (I find them pretty cheap cos a $22 box lasts me over a month with my 2) which they seem to love, sometimes sardines (although I tend to need to steer clear of their breath for awhile after eating these!!), RMB's 3 -5 times a week (mostly necks and wings, occasional lamb) and also treats for training. I would like to make my own BARF "mix" but just don't have the time at the moment. Has to be better than dog roll though right??

Puppy also still gets some Advance Puppy kibble in the morning as he was eating this at his breeders.

I dunno if I'm doing it right :thumbsup: but they seem happy and healthy enough.

I feed my dogs a mix, sometimes they get the pre-made BARF patties (I find them pretty cheap cos a $22 box lasts me over a month with my 2) which they seem to love, sometimes sardines (although I tend to need to steer clear of their breath for awhile after eating these!!), RMB's 3 -5 times a week (mostly necks and wings, occasional lamb) and also treats for training. I would like to make my own BARF "mix" but just don't have the time at the moment. Has to be better than dog roll though right??

Puppy also still gets some Advance Puppy kibble in the morning as he was eating this at his breeders.

I dunno if I'm doing it right :thumbsup: but they seem happy and healthy enough.

There is NO right or wrong, if your dogs are happy and healthy keep feeding them the way it suits you.

I've hard the "takes too long" comment before and I wonder if maybe I do something wrong as I truly don't find it takes that long?

I can make enough BARF mix to feed 10 dogs in about 15 minutes :confused: - that is minced carcasses, pulverised fruit & vegies and whatever additive (kelp powder etc) that I'm adding. They only get it a couple of days a week, otherwise they eat chicken frames or lamb flaps generally.

I've hard the "takes too long" comment before and I wonder if maybe I do something wrong as I truly don't find it takes that long?

I can make enough BARF mix to feed 10 dogs in about 15 minutes :laugh: - that is minced carcasses, pulverised fruit & vegies and whatever additive (kelp powder etc) that I'm adding. They only get it a couple of days a week, otherwise they eat chicken frames or lamb flaps generally.

If you are doing it wrong, then so am I.

i feed my dog Eagle Pack holistic duck dry food with pilchards or beef bones or chicken wings on top.

i know this isn't a complete BARF diet but it makes me feel better than just giving her kibble or canned food (which is mostly water anyway)