New Pup To The Family

Valkyrie

hi all has been awhile since i poste on hear.

but thought with all the helpfull info i picked up years ago i would come back :love:

last weekend i picked up a new pup.

she is a 3 month old Rednose Amstaff (pittbull) *dont judge*

she is the younger sister of my little man who is a purebred bull terrier.

now she is young and has only just learnt her name so i have a way to go but she is starting to sit which is the next step then stay blah blah blah.

but im needing help on the feeding.

its not so much her as it is him he will finish his dinner and then go chase her away from her bowl and eat her dinner.

how do you teach them not to eat each others food?.

and also i dont want my boy to feel left out so is it a good idea to spend time with the 2 of them together then have some seperate time with them?

otherwise thats really it minus the teething but good things come to those who wait i belive lol

thanks in advance for the advice im sure i will be posting again soon when the next thing that i cant remember or dont know comes to mind lol.

Bryce

p.s hears some pics lol

n683265294_2711180_4041633.jpg

2585_77366520294_683265294_2714912_1661150_n.jpg

n683265294_2707377_8174949.jpg

She's a cutie pie :) What's her name?

I'm hoping she is a registered Amstaff with papers...? ;)

As far as feeding goes, feed them seperately (in different rooms, or one inside one out) if you have to. It's not fair on your pup if she doesn't get time to finish her meal before her big brother comes along. I used to have the opposite problem when my Saint was a baby, he'd scoff his meal then go steal the Berner's! :laugh: Put a stop to that right away by feeding the Saint outside and the Berner inside - problem solved! :mad And neither feel like they are in competition with one another, so they can take time to enjoy their meals, although Hudson is still a guts and still scoffs anything and everything within reach :love:

Definitely spend time with each dog together and apart. Do training with each one separately as well as together.

Good luck.

thanks for the reply Cassie,

yeah she came with papers :)

her name is LULU as she has a lump(as you can see in the first pic lol) on her head between her ears and i thought Lumpy abit mean lol.

yeah after the first incident i have been feeding them seperate one in one out.,

Oakley the bully is trained its just lulu that needs the training now. and am waiting for her to get her final vaccinations and then im booking her into the puppy preschool i took oakley to as they where really good.

She's a cutie pie :mad What's her name?

I'm hoping she is a registered Amstaff with papers...? ;)

As far as feeding goes, feed them seperately (in different rooms, or one inside one out) if you have to. It's not fair on your pup if she doesn't get time to finish her meal before her big brother comes along. I used to have the opposite problem when my Saint was a baby, he'd scoff his meal then go steal the Berner's! :laugh: Put a stop to that right away by feeding the Saint outside and the Berner inside - problem solved! :o And neither feel like they are in competition with one another, so they can take time to enjoy their meals, although Hudson is still a guts and still scoffs anything and everything within reach :love:

Definitely spend time with each dog together and apart. Do training with each one separately as well as together.

Good luck.

Edited by Valkyrie

I don't think the dogs are actually related. .. just "siblings" in a family. :eek:

Feed your pup separately or supervise the meals to prevent them stealing her food. She's the baby, you're the boss - set up firm boundaries as this will prevent possible future conflict at meal times.

No BSL in the ACT folks. :D

thanks for the reply Cassie,

yeah she came with papers :eek:

Pleased to hear it :rofl: Although I certainly didn't know there was no BSL in the ACT, how wonderful for everyone there :D

By the way Valkyrie, you have great taste in names - my first Saint was named Oakley :) :)

but im needing help on the feeding.

its not so much her as it is him he will finish his dinner and then go chase her away from her bowl and eat her dinner.

how do you teach them not to eat each others food?.

Are you supervising meal times? If so then you are not being a very good pack leader if you are letting your boy go and eat your new pups food. When she is old enough to stand up for herself big fights could occur if you boy isn't taught that it is not acceptable to go and steal his sisters food.

Either....

- feed them seperately

- get a puppy pen and feed her in the pen

- stand between your two dogs whilst they are eating and tell your boy off if he moves from his bowl. Squirting with a water spray is useful.

Ohh, nice dog!!!

I dont feed mine together anymore, my Bull Terrier is a shit, eats his, then hers :confused: So i put one dog in each yard, and wait till she has finished and let them in together again.

I train them both apart, but do spend time with them together as well. Right now i have one on either side of me watching tv :laugh:

I think the "lump" might be the occiput.

Bit hard to tell from the photo, especially as my screen is on the way out , but that's what it looks like to me. ;)

is it anything i should worry about jed?.

the vet they had her vaccinated through said it was nothing to worry about :clap:.

i feed them seperately oakley outside lulu inside once they are done i let them back to each other.

to the person who asked about them being related no only family related lol :)