Itchy Dog

Would anyone have suggestions about what is the best dry dog food for a dog with a allergy itch.

I feed them Eukanuba mixed with cooked mince beef and vegetables. She normally gets a seasonal itch, but it doesn't seem to be improving as it usually does.

I wash her in Groomers Evening Primrose oil shampoo, I also have the spray which I use inbetween baths.

But I have been wondering if the dry biscuits could have some additive that might be contributing to the problem, and whether there is a better choice for her.

So if anyone has some idea's it would be appreciated.

I may be a one off thing, this is a bad allergy season.

I don't know where you live, but in Brisbane at least this summer's allergy season is still really bad. Our fur kid, my oldest skin kid and myself are still suffering from allergies.

Took our fur kid to the derm yesterday and he said this summer has been bad.

The usual answer to this question is for you to examine the dogs diet and take out everything that has any artificial colourings, flavourings and preservative - and that includes any treats or snacks and also the Eukanuba.

You then feed an all natural diet and hope that the skin/immune system will respond positively and the itchiness etc. will subside. Even then you have to be sure the dog is not reacting to chicken,beef, lamb or roo meat by means of an elimination diet.

Sometimes however the problem cannot be solved by diet and if it is bad enough it has to be controlled by medication.

I feed a raw all natural diet to all my show dogs and they do not have any problems in that regard.

I also have a Dobermann who gets the same diet as my other dogs and he suffers from skin/eye allergy problems especially at this time of year which raw all natural diet will not control.

I should think that he would be much worse if I did feed him dry food or food with any artificial colours/flavours/preservatives in it though.

As far as shampoos go, I suggest an antibacterial/antifungal shampoo eg. tea tree shampoo, triocil, etc.

Go see a dermatologist to find out exactly what you dog is allergic to. There's no use getting dry food suggestions if your dog has developed an allergy to chicken for example, as chicken is pretty much in everything. You really should do a food elimination diet before you go switching foods. Raw might help, particularly if grains end up being the problem, but could just as easily be pointless if a meat source has become an issue.

Generally allergies become worse in dogs as time goes by so it's possible your dog has developed allergies new things - some of which might be a year round issue.

With shampoos, I'd avoid anything that is plant based or with plant oils as fragrances etc as you might just be using something the dog is actually allergic to.

I sympathise with all those "itchy dog" owners out there.

I have a 23 mo whippet with what I think is a contact grass allergy. EPO helps but have currently run out and she is a mess - red raw on her chest with no hair from her chin to her tummy.

Have eliminated fleas - checked every day and there haven't been any around

I can't use top spot flea treatments - they cause her agony with itch

Any other food recommendations for the worlds fussiest whippet - even starving her to make her eat it doesn't work

Wont eat - RC, Euk, Supercoat,EP

Will eat - orijen (now gone), Vitalife (makers of Enduro for allergy prone dogs), Bonnie complete

Have switched her over to Bonnie but allergies are making us so frustrated - will be getting the Vitalife back - main ingrediant is roo meal, no wheat, can't remember the rest

lots of fresh meat and bones

Am contemplating VAN

I sympathise with all those "itchy dog" owners out there.

I have a 23 mo whippet with what I think is a contact grass allergy. EPO helps but have currently run out and she is a mess - red raw on her chest with no hair from her chin to her tummy.

Have eliminated fleas - checked every day and there haven't been any around

I can't use top spot flea treatments - they cause her agony with itch

Any other food recommendations for the worlds fussiest whippet - even starving her to make her eat it doesn't work

Wont eat - RC, Euk, Supercoat,EP

Will eat - orijen (now gone), Vitalife (makers of Enduro for allergy prone dogs), Bonnie complete

Have switched her over to Bonnie but allergies are making us so frustrated - will be getting the Vitalife back - main ingrediant is roo meal, no wheat, can't remember the rest

lots of fresh meat and bones

Am contemplating VAN

You could try a raw/BARF diet? Or Artemis grain free.

the only completely non allergenic food in my household is Royal Canin. Even on the Eagle Pack my rottie scratches and nibbles until he's bald. They're on the Coprice at the moment and Diesel is OK with it so far, but that has wheat bran - hasnt shown side effect though

My dog Mokha as several allergies including to floor cleaners, some grains, some proteins(lamb, beef, fish).I feed a combination of raw and kibble. Thankfully he can tolerate chicken and turkey. We have found this by food elimination and reintroduction of suspected problem foods. He reacts very quickly so it doesnt take long to work out. We feed raw chicken necks, chicken breast,California Natural Chicken and Rice kibble made by Natura in the US. It is all natural preservatives too.It is a single protein and grain being chicken and rice and it is the only kibble Mokha can eat. We also give Mokha pureed apple and carrot and pumpkin if his gets runny poo. On any other diet he just bites and itches and his fur falls out and it is very severe and fast. We realized the floor cleaner issue when I briefly changed from an all natural cleaner to handy andy . I could not get the usual cleaner and as there was no diet changes at this time and he started scratching that day I changed back. I did not realize until I had used the floor cleaner for a couple of weeks and put two and two together. Seeing a dermatologist is a great idea otherwise it is so hard to work out what the real problems are. Tests can be done for allergies too. I wish you luck in tracing what is setting your dog off because an itchy dog is definitely not a happy dog.