Please Keep My Boy In Your Thoughts

Four or five times since Christmas Zedley (Wire Haired Fox Terrier) has had something similar to reverse sneezing. My mini poodle (RIP) had a heart problem and often had reverse sneezing where a rub on this throat area helped him. Zedley has these 'episodes' that sound partly like reverse sneezing, partly like he can't breath through his nose, partly can't catch his breath. They last anything from 30 minutes to an hour. He was sleeping this afternoon and woke up having one of these episodes. He always looks distressed and there is nothing that I do that helps. I called my vet and rushed him up there. The vet has no idea what it can be, she gave him some cough syrup and we sat for a while, but he continued with his problem. The vet has suggested (after she had done all kinds of things to the lad) that I take him in on Tuesday morning for an xray os they can have a good look at his lungs, heart and all that stuff. I know this is not caused by food (he had not eaten since dinner last night). I am hoping that there is nothing there, but ya know how worried us parents get :laugh:

Edited by Loraine

Thank you all for your prayers.

Zedley is 6yrs old. Puggy you have reminded me, the vet will be putting a tube down his throat to look at the trachea. Whilst they have hum under I will be having them clip his enormous nails (they grow like the very devil) and pluck all hairs from his ears. I do them regularly but I can only get so far down the ear duct. Might as well get as much bang for my buck as possible :rainbowbridge: Might also have his brain looked at :love: he does have some nuerotic nights (only kidding here).

Hope all goes well tomorrow :rofl:

rolleyes.gif Might also have his brain looked at

No! It's scary !!

My old wolfhound x dane . Kieran had his head xrayed... and the vet was laughing at just HOW tiny his brain was !! :)

It looked like a walnut!!

OK we saw my favorite vet today. She did not want to xray the lad. She had a look down his throat whihc today was not as aggravated as it was on Saturday, and came to the conclusion that he has an extra long soft palate which from time to time touches the trachea and closes over.

Thank dog it is something and nothing. Whenever he has another episode I am to feed him and that will separate the trachea and the soft palate. Whew!!!

You might have to look into getting his soft pallet resected. How is his breathing normally?

Puggy, his thing is not too serious. The vet did talk to me about operating on him to shorten the palate, but as he does not snore or have any other throat concerns she advised leaving it as post op he would have to be kept quiet for 6 weeks - HA he is a terror terrier :o and quiet is not in his vocabulary. I will keep an eye on the boy and see how we go. Obviously if it gets worse then operation will be looked into.

The vet also noted how good his coat is looking at the moment. This is since she found the thyroid problem and put him onto thyroxine - his itchyness appears to have cleared up and he is no longer smelling yeasty :laugh:

If his normal breathing is not a major problem then your vet is probably right in saying not to perform surgery now.

The vet did talk to me about operating on him to shorten the palate, but as he does not snore or have any other throat concerns she advised leaving it as post op he would have to be kept quiet for 6 weeks

:laugh: Um 6 weeks. Where did she come up with that period of time? Maybe try 3 to 4 days of non excitment and then normal day to day house life with things being totally back to normal after two weeks.