Reactions To Wormers?

CBL

Was wondering if anyone had something similar happen?

I wormed the two greys the other night, and Oscar last night. Lilly, in particular, had a very bizarre reaction. I try to put the worming liquid on their bellies, around their groin and front legs in particular as I was told more gets absorbed that way. My 3 have really quite dense short fur and it can be difficult to get enough contact with the skin on their backs.

Anyway, thinking back, I dont think I have done this with Lilly before as she has refused to roll over, but this time I had access to her belly. Within a couple of minutes she was running around the house, jumping onto couches and on dogs beds and rubbing herself all over them. She carried on like that for well over 30 mins - like she had had 10 espressos! For the rest of the night she was very unsettled and paced around the house. Patch was totally normal (ie he slept).

Oscar reacted quite similarly - he didn't run around quite as much, but he wouldn't settle. I think it was more the smell that got to him as he refused to get onto the bed that he was in when I treated him.

With these reactions I am hestitant to go with the same treatment again (though it is the one I have always used without issues).

I wouldn't be putting chemicals like that on their sensitive bellies and groins. It is designed to go on their backs, that's where I would put it. I had a dog lean against a painted wall after having it applied to their back. The paint lifted! I was horrified but the vet said there was an ingrediant in spot on's that could do that. I now avoid them as much as possible.

I wouldn't be putting chemicals like that on their sensitive bellies and groins. It is designed to go on their backs, that's where I would put it. I had a dog lean against a painted wall after having it applied to their back. The paint lifted! I was horrified but the vet said there was an ingrediant in spot on's that could do that. I now avoid them as much as possible.

I have never had a reaction like it - figured if it was designed to go on the skin then it wouldn't be an irritant. She showed no marks or redness, just got really hyper! Patch has had it like that for forever and never shown any adverse reaction. Got advice from another greyhound-owner so I just went with it.

However I am now looking for a new all round wormer!

edit - Oscar's dose went on his back - as soon as he knows something is up he runs - so I had a hold of his collar.

Edited by CBL

I am obviously missing something here.

Why do you put a dog wormer on their skin????

Is there some new preparation that I haven't heard of?

In my experience Flea/tick prevention goes on the outside - wormers are administered internally!

I am obviously missing something here.

Why do you put a dog wormer on their skin????

Is there some new preparation that I haven't heard of?

In my experience Flea/tick prevention goes on the outside - wormers are administered internally!

There a couple of do it all products, they cover intestinal worms, heartworm and fleas

I wonder if Lilly got a chance to lick at the stuff - I don't think it's meant to be "eaten".

One of the reasons for applying to the back of the neck is so the dog cannot reach it.

I wouldn't be applying to sensitive skin areas.

The product probably made the sensitive skin sting.

I would think the product is ment to go on the back of the neck due to it being tougher skin, the dog can not lick the area and quite possibly the area has a greater oil production then other parts of the body.

I wonder if Lilly got a chance to lick at the stuff - I don't think it's meant to be "eaten".

No she didn't lick any of it - I was with her the whole time.

Obviously was a big mistake to put it on her belly, thought I was doing the right thing by getting a better dose into her. Definitely won't be doing it again though.

STITCH - it is a spot treatment - wormers plus heartworm and flea/tick prevention.