Vaccinations

When I picked up my Chihuahua pup, Moose, from the breeders 3 weeks ago he had just had his first vaccination. I believe it was a C6 (vacc card is a little hard to read). The breeder said that he would need the C7 vacc at 16 weeks (so next weekend). I have never had a dog that was given anything over a C5. Is the C6 and/or C7 vacc overkill?? I'm inclined to trust the breeder because she probably knows more than I do but am interested in other peoples opinions.

If it matters, he is a pet only, I don't intend to show or breed him and he won't be put in kennels at all.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. Can you go "backwards"? Ie. if he has had a C6 (his first and only vacc so far), can he get a C3 booster at 16 weeks? Does he even need one? So confused. :)

ETA - have made an appt with the vet next weekend. She seemed a bit perplexed that he was given a C6 as well but she said just bring in his vacc card and we can discuss it. I'm trying out this new vet anyway so will take him in to get checked over. ;)

Edited by moosepup

Let me guess cottesloe vet did the vaccs??

This is very interesting because i now most breeders of Chis dont vacc pups early & certainly not with anything more than C3

To be honest, I don't know which vet the breeder took him too (and it's not on his vacc card) but she lives in Gidgegannup so I don't think she went too far from there. Possibly Midland? I live about 1.5 hours south of there so unlikely I will be taking my pup to this vet without knowing it.

I would only do C5 for his next vaccination. C7 is overkill.

How old is he now?

He's 15 weeks today.

I've attached a pic of his vacc card, I presume having a C2 and a C4 = C6 lol. He had his vacc on the 20th, I picked him up on the 22nd and he hadn't had any reaction to the injection. Would her living out in the bush make her more inclined to vacc her animals with a C6 or C7?

Hopefully the new vet next weekend will be able to enlighten ignorant me. ;)

post-27684-1237090061_thumb.jpg